By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after all of SF4s hype it still couldnt beat DBZ.

Godot said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
scabab said:
In Japan Dragonball Z Burst Limit sold 85,000+ copies on Week 1 but Street Fighter 4 which had a bunch of hype couldnt even out sell it. I know Street Fighter 4 isnt that good but still it should have outsold it. Theres several Dragonball Z games a year come out this was the first proper Street Fighter in ages. Im sure a bunch of you will complain or whatever but im not interested so save it. I just wanna know why Street Fighter couldnt have outsold DBZ. Yes i know DBZ is far far more popular than Street Fighter it doesnt come close to being as popular but still it should have done better.

On the objective side of things Street Fighter 4 will beat Burst Limit for sure. That game brought fighters back to triple a status where I live. Every store in my area was sold out and had tournaments outside the store. On a subjective tip, I haven't even put a thought into burst limit as I'm not a fan of the videogames. I just don't find them fun. Street Fighter 4 put fighters back on the map.

It's not like Brawl is the most popular fighting game over there.

No offense to Brawl, but the main reason for its sales was because its on the Wii. SF4 is putting hardcore fighters back on the map. Brawl in no way was ever hyped by people this much. It was hyped, but not like this. There were lines of people outside of my Gamestop waiting to play the game after the tournament. 

Around the Network

um.... DBZ is awesome!

Point of thread? Hype doesnt translate into sales, it just means people think the game will be good, doesnt guarentee they will buy it

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Godot said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
scabab said:
In Japan Dragonball Z Burst Limit sold 85,000+ copies on Week 1 but Street Fighter 4 which had a bunch of hype couldnt even out sell it. I know Street Fighter 4 isnt that good but still it should have outsold it. Theres several Dragonball Z games a year come out this was the first proper Street Fighter in ages. Im sure a bunch of you will complain or whatever but im not interested so save it. I just wanna know why Street Fighter couldnt have outsold DBZ. Yes i know DBZ is far far more popular than Street Fighter it doesnt come close to being as popular but still it should have done better.

On the objective side of things Street Fighter 4 will beat Burst Limit for sure. That game brought fighters back to triple a status where I live. Every store in my area was sold out and had tournaments outside the store. On a subjective tip, I haven't even put a thought into burst limit as I'm not a fan of the videogames. I just don't find them fun. Street Fighter 4 put fighters back on the map.

No offense to Brawl, but the main reason for its sales was because its on the Wii. SF4 is putting hardcore fighters back on the map. Brawl in no way was ever hyped by people this much. It was hyped, but not like this. There were lines of people outside of my Gamestop waiting to play the game after the tournament. 

if SF4 had sold 500,000 copies first day in japan and 1,000,000 copies first day in US, you would have a point. It didn't though so what you said kinda was irrelavent.

Twilightman on Gametrailers

Its true DBZ is a much better franchise than Street Fighter but i really thought SF4 would at least do 100k in Japan.

Around the Network

SFIV was hyped more than Brawl? are you on something? Here we go again..

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

SFIV is one of my favorite fighters, lol. DBZ isn't terrible though, tbh.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Godot said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
scabab said:

I'm sorry but you must live under a rock. Brawl was hyped by just about every gaming portal known to man. IGN, Gamespot, and 1up had regular features leading up to the launch of Brawl. Secondly, Smash Bros. sold very well on the Gamecube, 7.08 million units.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Arius Dion said:
SFIV was hyped more than Brawl? are you on something? Here we go again..

Didn't Nintendo release daily updates on the Brawl website for months?  I think you are right.  However, maybe is Gamestop was different from almost every other gaming store in the world.  Not only is Brawl the most popular fighting game, it is more popular then every other fighting game of this generation combined.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Yeah, the daily website updates were a great marketing scheme. And u r correct that Brawl is by far the most popular fighting game this gen.

As for the OP, SF4 is a dope game, but the SF series kind of peaked with the SNES and later the PS1 with the alpha series (I loved third strike actually) But to say the game couldn't beat DBZ..what are you really trying to say?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.