By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 CPU and Cell are fairly equal according to Dave Shippy

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
BrayanA said:
nen-suer said:
Lets see best graphics on console
Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 , GOW 3 , Heavy Rain (All unique engines)

so i don't get it if xbox360 is FAIRLY close to ps3 but easier to program for, and yet its biggest achievement is games using the out dated UR3 engine...hmm....what?

Building unique engine for every single game is not a smart move. It cost extra money and time.

Once they are built, though, they have a lot of value if used in subsequent games.  I think that's what we're going to see increasingly from PS3 games.  These great engines are going to get more use, more polish, and in a number of cases get shared between devs.

yup.which it is already. the Killzone 2 engine, the developer's still say there is plenty of work.

the Cell was unvailed to the public 2004

if some of the developer's did not get their hand's on a kit until much later , how do people expect the Engine's to be already mature.

granted it's nice to have your DEVELOPMENT TOOL's well developed , So you can make Game's at a fast pace, but also on the same token,one could say it's better for the Developer to learn and better perfect his craft, and be a better Developer. if One is not pushed there may not be as much Growth as a developer. Now i am not saying this apply's to everyone, Valve make's great game's , Epic also but their Tool's have been developed over a long time. the DEVELOPER'S of Killzone 2 are just doing the Same. it take's time,Which is a good example of there are many skill level's in development.

which is mostly Opinion based:

One could say Epic is a better developer than say Insominiac Games

I am sure you could find fan's of both developer's to say one is better than the other.

but it's all moot, because both developer's have a job to do and make game's that entertain, if your entertained...I think that's the whole point

:D

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

john carmack, has stated several times in many magazines that the cell cpu in the ps3 is slightly better that the 360 cpu and that the gpu in the 360 is better that the gpu in the ps3. it just comes down to the dev's and how much effort they put into the games.
@nen-suer, the games u mentioned. every game can be forgotten when a new one comes out, that includes every series u mentioned. its up to the fans of that game to keep it alive and kicking long after the next game in the series comes out.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

nen-suer said:
Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 , GOW 3 , Heavy Rain (All unique engines)

so i don't get it if xbox360 is FAIRLY close to ps3 but easier to program for, and yet its biggest achievement is games using the out dated UR3 engine...hmm....what?

MGS4 dosent have good graphics,Killzone 2 is JUST about to come out,Uncharted 2 = 2010 same with the rest.

and CPU = Graphics,therefore your logic fails,and no way Cell is 2x as good as Xenos because it would need 2x the ram.

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
john carmack, has stated several times in many magazines that the cell cpu in the ps3 is slightly better that the 360 cpu and that the gpu in the 360 is better that the gpu in the ps3. it just comes down to the dev's and how much effort they put into the games.
@nen-suer, the games u mentioned. every game can be forgotten when a new one comes out, that includes every series u mentioned. its up to the fans of that game to keep it alive and kicking long after the next game in the series comes out.

while true from his stand point, that may be because he may be pointing toward his Experience with the Cell and his Code developed toward the Cell Processor

nor do we know what type of skill or experience  Mr.Carmack, has Had with the Cell Processor. His result's may not be better than say, Insominiac Games result's

and when Mr. Carmack stated that he was makeing a general statement, what he think's at the time with what time he has had with the Hardware, If he had time at all that was back in 2005, as you know Mr. Carmack has been developing a Engine for these HD systems, and we have not had much info on it's capability on how it will perform.

the GPU v's GPU statement is debatable due to the fact there are upper limit's that each GPU can attain but also limit's if they can get to that level of performance.

the very fact on paper raw power the PS3's Main GPU contain's more raw power, but the xbox360's Gpu can do more in a single clock cycle than that RAW power could do

but that problem in thinking that way is, the PS3 also has a second GPU to take strain off the main GPU.

also, the main Cache for the xbox360 is 1 MB to split between 3 core's, while the PS3 has 2.5 MB of local store to work with

so there is many thing's , the only thing is to see how the future unfold's

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Garnett said:
nen-suer said:

MGS4 dosent have good graphics,Killzone 2 is JUST about to come out,Uncharted 2 = 2010 same with the rest.

and CPU = Graphics,therefore your logic fails,and no way Cell is 2x as good as Xenos because it would need 2x the ram.

a graphic's Opinion is just that OPINION, you may not think they are good graphic's, but there are people who also have their OPINION on that.

and as for the 2x as good as the Xenos, don't be so quick to dismiss that why, because IBM have done test's where the Cell has out performed the Xenos, does it make the Xenos anyless capable to out perform the Cell in some other function. No because it depend's on the test and what kind of test your running.

Example :

the Cell has free 6 SPE core's, and 1 PPE core..now each of those SPE cores has 256 KB of Local store

while the Xbox360 has 1MB of cache to split among 3 PPE cores, it takes on a SPE to a single PPE in the xbox360 it's if you split it evenly

each xbox360 PPE core (333 KB of cache)

where as each SPE core (256 KB of local store)

there's strength and weakness with each design

9 threads for the PS3

6 threads for the xbox360

it's what you do with the hardware that matter. beside's both machine's are no way near tapped out hell even when the next system's arrive, there will not be very much in visual seperation between this gen and the next for atleast a couple of year's into the next gen. because of multi-core system design's are just getting used for game's designed for multi-core processor's will still be a learning curve for quite a bit of developer's.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Around the Network
Fishie said:

XCPU has 3 cores and CELL has 1 core, let me repeat that ONE.

SPE`s are NOT cores.

If you dont know what you are talking about its better to not say anything at all.

This guy should take his own advice, I think.  Since my beer knows what its talking about, I will let it tell you how it is:

Beer sez:

Cell: 9 cores.  

PS3 Cell: 9 cores, -1 disabled at factory == 8 cores.  Initial low-yield issues made Sony accept chips with only 7 functional SPEs.

Xenon: 3 cores

Unless the definition of "core" includes "must have direct memory access", the SPEs are most assuredly full cores, in every sense.  They use DMAs (16 of them per SPE) to access main memory, and have 256K of local memory which they can access directly -- different, yes.  DQ'ed from being a "core"? ...no.  Direct memory access is not written in beer, as a prereq to be a "core", except under the most absurd of definitions... like those dreamed up by a "knowledge-free" X360 fanatic.

Beer right.  U wrong.  Drink from the mug of knowledge and be better for it.

wow this is so old. WHO CARES ANYMORE!! If this is news to anybody then obviously you have been living under a rock. I have said since 2005 that they will both be very equal. The PS3 might have a tiny tiny edge if developers really take the time to try and exploit it but most wont so most games are going to look similiar.

Long Live SHIO!

ROFLOL...yeah, but the cellz mafia will say, "What does he know?" Anyway, in gaming, your GPU is nearly as important as yyour CPU, so this cell worship something leaves me scratching my head.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
ROFLOL...yeah, but the cellz mafia will say, "What does he know?" Anyway, in gaming, your GPU is nearly as important as yyour CPU, so this cell worship something leaves me scratching my head.

yup..keep slamming it big boy, because the result's are speaking loud and clear..the Cell Processor is a very good processor for game's

you may not agree with it, and that's YOUR OPINION but your OPINION is far from a fact.funny you point out the GPU is nearly as important as your CPU

well its a great thing the "CELL Processor" is also a GPU chip. and before you say not a very good one..

30+ billion shader /ops per sec beg to differ. you may like to gloss over that but it's D@mn near half of the Main GPU in the PS3, and 75%

as much as the main GPU in the xbox360 with (it's base 48 billion shader op's/sec) not the 96 Billion used in code alignment

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
heruamon said:

yup..keep slamming it big boy, because the result's are speaking loud and clear..the Cell Processor is a very good processor for game's

you may not agree with it, and that's YOUR OPINION but your OPINION is far from a fact.funny you point out the GPU is nearly as important as your CPU

well its a great thing the "CELL Processor" is also a GPU chip. and before you say not a very good one..

30+ billion shader /ops per sec beg to differ. you may like to gloss over that but it's D@mn near half of the Main GPU in the PS3, and 75%

as much as the main GPU in the xbox360 with (it's base 48 billion shader op's/sec) not the 96 Billion used in code alignment

Once again, cell mafia take ANY critique as a mortal threat...I'm not saying the cell processer isn't powerful, just that it's not this CPU that is going to deliver results that totally can't be touched.  There are also the power usage considerations for how you set it up...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder