By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 CPU and Cell are fairly equal according to Dave Shippy

According to Dave Shippy, the leading man behind IBM's development of the Playstation 3 Cell CPU and the Xbox 360 CPU, both the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 are 'fairly equal.'

In the March issue of the Game Informer Magazine, Dave Shippy, the leading man behind both the PS3 CPU and the 360 CPU, shared his thoughts about about the powers and abilities of the two battling CPUS. 

When asked, 'which one was the more effective or powerful,' he gave this reply;

"I think they are fairly equal.  The interesting thing is that the PowerPC that's common in both is used in completely different ways.  If you look at the CPU chip for the 360 and PS3, and the programming models and architecture, they came up with completely different solutions.  And yet they use this same common core."

http://gamingfront.net/news/263/sony-cell-and-360-cpu-are-equals/

Around the Network

This guy was the leading man behind both consoles' CPU's? Wow?

EDIT: I thought the Cell was supposed to be amazing, which is partly why Sony spent so much damn money on it. I'm assuming that in other ways it's vastly superior to the 360 CPU, correct?

360s' CPU = PS3s' CPU

360s' GPU > PS3s' GPU

360 is easier to program

BRs' transfer rate
-------------------------------

What else ?

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)

This is said so many times from the people at IBM also from Dave Shippy the big man behind the development of the Playstation 3 Cell CPU and the Xbox 360 CPU..

That some people choose to ignore that statement they are just in denial..

I would say the Cell is maybe 25% more efficient than the Xenon cpu as he said "FAIRLY EQUAL" that doesn't sound no more than that..

It all comes down to the developers, Example: God of War 2 on the ps2 the weakest system last gen, than compare GTA San Andreas with God of War 2 they are not even close in graphic qualities...

Its not much what the hardware can do, is how much skills and knowledge you have to work on the hardware ..

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

Lets see best graphics on console
Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 , GOW 3 , Heavy Rain (All unique engines)

so i don't get it if xbox360 is FAIRLY close to ps3 but easier to program for, and yet its biggest achievement is games using the out dated UR3 engine...hmm....what?

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Around the Network
Gh0st4lifE said:
360s' CPU FAIRLY EQUAL TO PS3s' CPU

PS3s' GPU FAIRLY EQUAL TO 360s' GPU

360 is easier to program

BRs' transfer rate < DVDs'

What else ?

Fixed

BrayanA said:
Gh0st4lifE said:
360s' CPU FAIRLY EQUAL TO PS3s' CPU

PS3s' GPU FAIRLY EQUAL TO 360s' GPU

360 is easier to program

BRs' transfer rate < DVDs'

What else ?

Fixed

Transfer rate ''HD DVD < DVD < CD''

Wii easier to program than Xbox360

Fixed ver 2.00

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

nen-suer said:
Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 , GOW 3 , Heavy Rain (All unique engines)

so i don't get it if xbox360 is FAIRLY close to ps3 but easier to program for, and yet its biggest achievement is games using the out dated UR3 engine...hmm....what?

Building unique engine for every single game is not a smart move. It cost extra money and time.

BrayanA said:
nen-suer said:

Building unique engine for every single game is not a smart move. It cost extra money and time.

Thats the point, if u want something different and unique u have to pay money and work hard, it may come as a surprise to u but most great game makers care about the games more than the profit.

Kojima didnt want MSG4 because of that (u know how much money they could have make?)

Games like ICO and SOTC were simply art and not for every one but they where very great

Believe me if u dont love what u do u will never make some thing people will remember, thats go for all spect in life.

When GeOW 3 comes we forget 2, but games like Metal gear 1-4, FF7, Legend of Dragoon, Valkyria Chronicle cant be forgotten.

Halo sold alot but no one play it any more because 3 is out but there always people playing an Old FF or Metal Gear game

nen-suer said:

Thats the point, if u want something different and unique u have to pay money and work hard, it may come as a surprise to u but most great game makers care about the games more than the profit.

Well that is new to me: the video gaming industry which generates more money than movies btw... is about .. ART ? Not money ?

On your remark about the """"outdated UR3""": We are not talking about fundamental science here.... iterative development are the best way to obtain a good results. Making a new big bang from scratch is expensive and generally not worth the investment, if you cannot recycle it later.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.