By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 CPU and Cell are fairly equal according to Dave Shippy

joeorc said:
heruamon said:
joeorc said:
heruamon said:
joeorc said:
heruamon said:
ROFLOL...yeah, but the cellz mafia will say, "What does he know?" Anyway, in gaming, your GPU is nearly as important as yyour CPU, so this cell worship something leaves me scratching my head.

yup..keep slamming it big boy, because the result's are speaking loud and clear..the Cell Processor is a very good processor for game's

you may not agree with it, and that's YOUR OPINION but your OPINION is far from a fact.funny you point out the GPU is nearly as important as your CPU

well its a great thing the "CELL Processor" is also a GPU chip. and before you say not a very good one..

30+ billion shader /ops per sec beg to differ. you may like to gloss over that but it's D@mn near half of the Main GPU in the PS3, and 75%

as much as the main GPU in the xbox360 with (it's base 48 billion shader op's/sec) not the 96 Billion used in code alignment

Once again, cell mafia take ANY critique as a mortal threat...I'm not saying the cell processer isn't powerful, just that it's not this CPU that is going to deliver results that totally can't be touched.  There are also the power usage considerations for how you set it up...

WOW, did i say they can't be touched. there you go putting word's in people's mouth, and what prey tell are you ref. to with this statement?

"just that it's not this CPU that is going to deliver results that totally can't be touched"

by the xbox360?

other processor's in PC's?

because if you are talking about PC's yea, of course the Cell can be touched, hell you can put Cell processor "BACKPLANE" card in your PC right now...$400.00....

Now if you are talking about the XBOX360 that's quite debatable, why

1) you can make a game for both platform's that can absolutly choke the other's hardware. so it's Moot

2) the full system capabilities are not tapped yet on both platform's. so once again it's Moot

3) and HOW do you know what the developer's can do with the PS3 or xbox360. the developer's are not done yet so that's Moot.

so what were you ref. too?

I'm looking compared to PC/360 gaming...I jsut don't have that fine an eye in comparing games.  When I play GearsOW 2...and I saw R2...I really didn't see how R2 was so much better.  I've not seen KZ2 running live, and you kinda have to see it to really judge it, imho.  The game looks great, but how is does it spiral out the concept from say a quake wars?   Graphics seems to somehow have become the end-all-be-all for some.

I can see where you are comeing from, but that is why you have your OPINION based on what you observe. but other's may see it the other way.

example:

gear's art style is very cool in my opinion because they REMIND ME OF Warhammer 40k...the machine god want's his cog back by the way...

and quite a bit of gamer's like the result's that EPIC did with Gear's of war..me included..i like the SQUAD level combat .smile

but on the same token.there are other's that hate the art style, and think all the Gear's of war character's look like pin headed thug's in power armor with big gun's and big chain saw's.

while Killzone 2 has a artstyle inline with Gear's of war, the art style has quite a bit of response into how people's opinion which game they like best.

followed by gameplay..now not all gamer's game play is first for me..but some look at the artstyle fir's over game playability

storyline is very important to me..mainly because i Like RPG's..but some could care less as long as they can shoot thing's...:D

I agree with you on the idea that "GRAPHIC'S" HAS BECOME SO MUCH FRONT LOADED, BUT IT'S JUST HOW IT IS PRETTY MUCH DEVELOPER'S ARE KIND OF FORCED INTO THAT for the most part because Gamer's tend to compare the game's v's another Game

Graphic's

game play

network

etc.

and it's pretty silly to me because the game is to be played for ENTERTAINMENT not to cause trouble..unless that's your ENTERTAINMENT in which case that's sad

not saying you..but some gamer's in as a general statement IN my Opinion

I'm just looking at L4D as an example...the graphics are good, but it's not earth shattering,....it's the content.  In looking at Gears franchise, it was the tweaks in gameplay that made that such an awesome gaming experience.  The combat action was much more grounded and rooted in movement and cover, vice "hopping" for example.  The graphical boost were important, but gameplay was far more important...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

@Procastinato: So now most engine programmers are newbs? That's like the "developers are lazy" argument, it completely ignores one of the most important matters of game development - cost. Time equals money, the Cell equals more invested time in engine programming, which equals more money spent.

It's not that developers are lazy or stupid, it's that they have limited time and budget. Sony needs to learn that lesson and make developer-friendly consoles.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

What I don't understand is why if the PS3 is so much more powerful, we haven't seen any evidence of it. Yeah it's got some great looking exclusives but nothing that really trounces say Gears 2 or even multi plat games like Resi 5. And the upcoming Lost Planet 2 looks gorgeous. If the PS3 is so much more powerful, than the 'technically inferior' 360 is really giving it a real good run for it's money. I don't ever remember a console war were the power of the consoles was up for so much (legit) debate. Used to be so clear in the past. SNES>Mega Drive. N64>PSOne. Xbox>PS2.

Procrastinato said:

^^ The Cell's SPEs can perform many functions similar to GPUs, but they aren't GPUs. Anyone who has ever written a software rendering engine would concur that the SPEs downright phenominal, and supremely flexible, for such an endeavor -- but they aren't going to replace a dedicated GPU when it comes right down it it. They can assist the RSX by relieving it of some work, realistically. "Preprocessing" some graphics tasks, if you will.

That being said, in terms of real-world performance, the Cell is a little more powerful than the Xenon, but the 360's GPU usually typically makes up for the difference, unless the engine is a dedicated PS3 one, because not many games are CPU-bound, they are GPU-bound.

I think the issue most people fail to understand, regarding the Cell, is that the Cell itself is not some magical phenominon that is going to change the landscape of computation -- the idea* behind the Cell is, however. Future iterations of the same concept will outperform "full" multicore architectures, from a heat perspective, from a transitor count/cost perspective, and every other perspective that matters, except a software development perspective.

And that last bit is where architecture's like the Xenon get their praise from.  In the hurried modern world, where time and budget is always in a concern, the Xenon has a fair sized advantage, and that's not to be underestimated.

* The idea is that "convenience" features of a processor, like a huge cache, out-of-order execution, and a good branch predictor, are much more expensive, and much less worthwhile, than the extra basic cores you could put on a chip are, with the same transitor count.  More power, less heat, less raw materials.  The added performance comes at a cost to the software developer, who can no longer rely on the aforementioned crutches to allow his/her code to pass for "fast".

while i pretty much agree with what you stated..the Cell processor is indeed a CPU/GPU combo chip.

and yea it is not meant to replace a dedicated GPU for the most part. except now the smaller nm scale CPU/GPU combo chip's do provide the didicated GPU finction in Mobile devices, that would require such low power processor's with the graphic's use ability to replace dedicated GPU's that would otherwise offset the advantages of the CPU/GPU chip's provide like you stated in power /watt and transister count.

but here is DR. Hofstee has stated this here is the PDF

lanl.gov/orgs/hpc/roadrunner/rrinfo/RR%20webPDFs/Cell_Hofstee_Non_Conf.pdf

and how AMD and Intel and Ati are also heading in that same direction.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

NJ5 said:

@Procastinato: So now most engine programmers are newbs? That's like the "developers are lazy" argument, it completely ignores one of the most important matters of game development - cost. Time equals money, the Cell equals more invested time in engine programming, which equals more money spent.

It's not that developers are lazy or stupid, it's that they have limited time and budget. Sony needs to learn that lesson and make developer-friendly consoles.

Kids like game programming -- meaning fresh outta college.  They come cheap, too.  Enthusiasm goes a long way toward reducing the paycheck, because inevitably there's going to be someone crazy enough, and just skilled enough (and no family, etc.) who will take the job for the price.  The games industry is also really stressful, because of the budget/deadline thing... 50-60 hour workweeks are commonplace, and people don't tend to last long under those conditions.

Sony has a truckload of badass developers under their hood, so I can see how it may have made sense to them, but I would tend to agree with you, in that, in this day and age, which is really just before the "age of parallelism" really hits mainstream, the Xenon's ease-of-use makes it much more attractive from a budget standpoint.  The PS3 is lucky that its specs are so close to the 360, and ports are easy, IMO.

Honestly, most devs don't hardly use the entire Xenon either... another advantage for the PS3 for easy ports, actually.  Using the Cell, or all three cores of the Xenon, to maximum potential isn't necessary for a great game.  Lots of middleware already uses it (although its taken some time), and the extra Xenon cores, so in a sense, its becoming easier to wield that horsepower than it used to be (and it shows in recent 3rd party games).

At the beginning of the generation, the 360 had not only a year head start, but this ease-of-use advantage, which has resulted in the current situation.  So yeah, I think Sony may have jumped the gun with the Cell.

In the next generation, however, using the Cell in this gen may have turned out to be a huge boon -- parallelism is the way of the future, whether devs want to embrace it or not.  Sony is already there, despite the fact that it has cost them dearly.  If they can hold on, they may very well have set themselves up for some serious advantages in the future.

Around the Network
Badassbab said:
What I don't understand is why if the PS3 is so much more powerful, we haven't seen any evidence of it. Yeah it's got some great looking exclusives but nothing that really trounces say Gears 2 or even multi plat games like Resi 5. And the upcoming Lost Planet 2 looks gorgeous. If the PS3 is so much more powerful, than the 'technically inferior' 360 is really giving it a real good run for it's money. I don't ever remember a console war were the power of the consoles was up for so much (legit) debate. Used to be so clear in the past. SNES>Mega Drive. N64>PSOne. Xbox>PS2.

Cost.  That's the answer.  Pretty critical issue that's not going to go away any time soon, for most publishers/devs.  It will eventually get better though, because parallelism will work its way into the mainstream programmer's brain, eventually.

NJ5 said:

it's not like that, yes more time does mean more money..but also it mean's you as a developer will not be prepaired for the next trend in Microprocessor's..like the Cell processor..if you look at the way the New processor's from Intel,Ati,Nvidia and Amd, IBM, STI they are all producing

CPU/GPU combo chip's it's learn it now or later ..that's the developer's choice, some are learning it now

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Procrastinato said:
Badassbab said:

Cost.  That's the answer.  Pretty critical issue that's not going to go away any time soon, for most publishers/devs.  It will eventually get better though, because parallelism will work its way into the mainstream programmer's brain, eventually.

you are 100% right, it is mainly cost because many developer's are just learning this type of processor design "that is to design game's with this type of processor in mind" the thing is You are right it will not go away for anytime soon, but developer's that have embraced it will be better prepaired for net generation, because these combo chip's are what's going into computer's, electronic's mobile phone's. etc.

I AM BOLO

ps:

I don't deny that multi-core will become more and more prevalent, but which if Sony's games use all of the Cell's cores? Last I heard KZ2 uses 4 SPEs, and even then quite sparsely (a lot of idle time on those 4). It was on some presentation slide by Guerilla, unfortunately I can't find it right now.

EDIT - Found it:

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Sony is way ahead of the parallel programming paradigm. Intel and M$ are in the middle of creating development tools to ease the burden of the paradigm. Without tools to help with the development, just throwing more cores won't solve anything.