By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that you've "forced" yourself to get through & reason...

Hmmm:
- King Kong because of the.... the..... the........ aaw fuck, I played it because of the achievements :D
- Condemned because it's damn scary and I hate scary games ^^ (But it's really good)

Around the Network

About FFXII:
Unless I was mistaken by that part, the underlying plot in FFXII was harder to follow then in FF games while the main villain's purposes remain simple (usually craving power). It being the Occuria's role in everything, Venat wanted Man to lead it's own path, while the Occuria wanted to dictate it. (right?)

@Godot
In the case of most FF games, the main villains are enhanced by some odd plot point to make themsevles more powerful, that's common, Kuja had Trance, Kefka had the statues, even Sephiroth had mako and Jenova.

On the subject, I forced myself to play Halo once to see what it was like. I don't like FPS and this was no different.

Hmm, pie.

Resident Evil 4 - This game was just boring to me and each encounter and new room kept dragging the game along. The practically non-Resident Evil story and focus on action in cut-scenes killed my interest in it and the lack of almost any 'horror' made the experience drag on even more. Then, add controls with bad aiming (the laser is terrible) and annoying enemies and we have my pick for this thread where I had to finally get through it because I had rented it and wanted to at least say I beat it. 

It's a similar story with Folklore. The story and presentation of it were boring, but I had to at least finish it so I can send it back to Gamefly.

360 - I've been forcing myself to get through Infinite Undiscovery... it's not a terrible game, but I just have no desire to continue (except for my OCD and achievement/trophy whoring will force me to finish).  I might have to set it aside for a few months with SO4, HW, and RE5 coming out.

Wii - RE4 Wii edition.  The controls just pull me out of it.  I actually prefer the controls for RE5 360/PS3

PS3 - Resistance: Fall of Man.  I played the first level, it was so dry and boring.  Felt like a PC FPS game from 1997.

Gears of War.. because I thought it was boring.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

ToS2, Eternal Sonata, Afro Samurai

All of them because I signed up to review them.

Also there was FFXII (got tired of it right near the end and came back almost a year later)

Tales of Legendia. Got it first day, couldn't finish it for months. Later on I downloaded the undub and forced myself to finish it.

ff12 I felt I had an obligation to finish it as it was Final Fantasy
Fallout 3 it was my first and only getable Platinum.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Godot said:
Khuutra said:
Pristine20 said:

I admit that I didn't see Venat coming. but if "it" had ended up being the real thing to contend with not Vayne, I'd have been happier I guess. My real problem was that I was expecting emotional touches like FFX and FFVIII lol. The story just felt distant and like just another war between kingdoms.

Venat was the source of the primary conflict throughout the game, the driving force behind both Vayne and Cid, and the source of knowledge about the Magicite and Nethicite. The conflict between the Occuria and humanity was the source of all the major decision-making which was leveled by Ashe and Basch and the rest, and the source of the driving forces behind the actionso f half the major characters.

You didn't guess everything from the beginning. You didn't even guess a quarter of it.

Venat was exactly the same as Yu Yevon in FFX. A cheap explanation of why the main villain is so strong. The Occuria were actually pretty random and when we saw them for the first time, I was like "what the fuck?". They didn't explain what/who they were and yet the main characters didn't bother to tell us what they know about them.

...Venat was exactly the same as Yu Yevon?

So Yu Yevon was the primary force that set it up that the heroes were able to defeat the big bad, instead of actually being the big bad himself?

Venat's entire purpose was to give humanity the tools it needed to rid the world of the power of the Occuria and thereafter remove himself entirely, so that humanity would be the arbiters of their own destiny. That was why Venat told Vayne that their purpose had been fulfilled, more than Vayne could ever know.

The Occuria were the gods. Their backstory was lightly touched upon in the main narrative because their oirgins weren't nearly as important as the fact that they controlled humanity through Nethicite and the Dynast-King, but their entire backstory was basically laid out in the mythology outlined in the monster encyclopedia entries, particularly with the Esper entries.

Venat is nothing like Yu Yevon and saying that they are "exactly the same" is just obscene.

i wanna be the guy (done on live stream, no less)
wanted to prove that i could beat the damn game (im still stuck on the 7th boss though)
it lost its fun after dieing for the OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAANDth time or so

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)