By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I just beat Super Metroid for the first time... wow...

Mr Khan said:

I got to the point where i beat Ridley, but never got back to it. Ridley was a real bastard, too.

(sighs) someday...

Ridley was so epic.  I ran out of missiles, super missiles, and power bombs, and used all my energy tanks and was on my last reserve tank.  I thought it was over, when all of a sudden he exploded into a million power-ups.  You're like 99% through the game at that point.  You HAVE to finish it.

super_etecoon said:
Congrats Rubang! I'm glad you made it rhough.

Now here's your next challenge...find the remaining 30%. Did you save in Tourian....if you did, you can't get back out. So you'll just have to start over. And then after you've collected 100%, try to beat the game in under two hours. Speed Runs are the soul of Super Metroid. And there are many ways to break the sequence of the game...here's an easy one: learn the wall jump and you don't have to get the jump boots until after you beat Kraid.

Congrats again....and thanks for the special mention.

Aw crap I saved in Tourian.  But I will gladly start over.  I can't afford any new games right now anyway, so a classic game with tons of replay value is exactly what I needed.

TruckOSaurus said:
So many people who have beaten Super Metroid for the first time only in the last few years!?! Didn't you guys own a SNES? If the answer is yes, then shame on you for not buying Super Metroid back then.

@Rubang: 70% is pretty standard for someone who played the game in a straight forward manner without going out of it's way to find hidden stuff.

Yeah I had a SNES, but the thing had way too many PERFECT games on it.  I'm sure I missed a ton of them.  But the weird thing is that in 1994, I was a store champion at a local Blockbuster in their "World Video Game Championships," the one with the Donkey Kong Country Tournament Edition cartridge.  I got 2 free game rentals a month for a year.  So I really have no fucking clue how I didn't rent Super Metroid that year.

And damn, I was going out of my way to find hidden stuff.  I guess after Ridley last night I just had to sprint through the rest because I was so close to the end and really pumped to finish the game.

Naum said:
Did you do the most important thing in the game?

Did you save the little green aliens that showed you how to wall jump?

If not then you aren't hardcore

Save them?  What the hell are you talking about?  Can't they just wall jump out of there?  I didn't think there was any possible way to interact with them.  I tried everything I could think of before I realized they were teaching me something.  I guess I owe them something.  What can I do for them?

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Mr Khan said:

I got to the point where i beat Ridley, but never got back to it. Ridley was a real bastard, too.

(sighs) someday...

Ridley was so epic. I ran out of missiles, super missiles, and power bombs, and used all my energy tanks and was on my last reserve tank. I thought it was over, when all of a sudden he exploded into a million power-ups. You're like 99% through the game at that point. You HAVE to finish it.

super_etecoon said:
Congrats Rubang! I'm glad you made it rhough.

Now here's your next challenge...find the remaining 30%. Did you save in Tourian....if you did, you can't get back out. So you'll just have to start over. And then after you've collected 100%, try to beat the game in under two hours. Speed Runs are the soul of Super Metroid. And there are many ways to break the sequence of the game...here's an easy one: learn the wall jump and you don't have to get the jump boots until after you beat Kraid.

Congrats again....and thanks for the special mention.

Aw crap I saved in Tourian. But I will gladly start over. I can't afford any new games right now anyway, so a classic game with tons of replay value is exactly what I needed.

TruckOSaurus said:
So many people who have beaten Super Metroid for the first time only in the last few years!?! Didn't you guys own a SNES? If the answer is yes, then shame on you for not buying Super Metroid back then.

@Rubang: 70% is pretty standard for someone who played the game in a straight forward manner without going out of it's way to find hidden stuff.

Yeah I had a SNES, but the thing had way too many PERFECT games on it. I'm sure I missed a ton of them. But the weird thing is that in 1994, I was a store champion at a local Blockbuster in their "World Video Game Championships," the one with the Donkey Kong Country Tournament Edition cartridge. I got 2 free game rentals a month for a year. So I really have no fucking clue how I didn't rent Super Metroid that year.

And damn, I was going out of my way to find hidden stuff. I guess after Ridley last night I just had to sprint through the rest because I was so close to the end and really pumped to finish the game.

Naum said:
Did you do the most important thing in the game?

Did you save the little green aliens that showed you how to wall jump?

If not then you aren't hardcore

Save them? What the hell are you talking about? Can't they just wall jump out of there? I didn't think there was any possible way to interact with them. I tried everything I could think of before I realized they were teaching me something. I guess I owe them something. What can I do for them?

When the whole place is about to go up after you defeat Mother Brain, you have to find them and save them in the remaining time.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Yeah, this is an awesome game. Just beat it myself last month.

Anyone know how to do that one thing Samus does in the gameplay clips that play if you wait long enough at the title screen? You know, where that color changing aura appears around her and she starts floating? It looks AWESOME.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
appolose said:

Anyone know how to do that one thing Samus does in the gameplay clips that play if you wait long enough at the title screen? You know, where that color changing aura appears around her and she starts floating? It looks AWESOME.

Yeah what the hell was that?  It embarrassed me in front of my wife.  She saw that, and asked if I could do that, and I said "no" and she said "Oh, you haven't even BEGUN to play this game then."  Hahaha.  It was something with charging up your sprint but then dropping a power bomb I think.  I'll try that and report back here.

Soriku said:
Is this game harder or easier than Metroid for NES?

Easier, once you've mastered all the tricky nuances of control like bomb jumping, wall jumping, etc.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

If you want to be a true hardcore Super Metroid player, finish the game with only 15% =p

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

What the hell? Wall jumping? Little green alien dudes? Why don't I remember this? Sure it's been years since I've played Super Metroid, but how the hell could I forget about something like that?

Anyways, this thread has made me want to play through it again. I've been having an urge to play all my older games lately. Just went through my Sega Genesis Sonic games the past few days.

Is Super Metroid on the VC yet?

@ wfz

Yes, it's already on VC

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

@wfz: Yes it's on VC, it was released about one or two weeks before MP3: Corruption came out for the Wii.

Signature goes here!

The Ghost of RubangB said:
appolose said:

Yeah what the hell was that?  It embarrassed me in front of my wife.  She saw that, and asked if I could do that, and I said "no" and she said "Oh, you haven't even BEGUN to play this game then."  Hahaha.  It was something with charging up your sprint but then dropping a power bomb I think.  I'll try that and report back here.

Ha, I've been unable to figure it out either (after 4 playthroughs).  I also noticed that her missle count and energy were going up as she did it (I think).

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz