By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Valve on HL2 differences between the 360 and PS3

KBG29 should of said:

... Even with vastly underpowered hardware compared to the competition it continued to stand up next to its rivals in graphics. The reason it did this is because the PS2 had the biggest install base and developers were forced to make the most of the hardware to stay in business....

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Wojtas said:
AllAll said:
mistrerd, it does not matter what article he would link, you know damn well the thread would be trolled derailed and like always would become a big flame war.

As far as power they aren't even using the SPUs!!! you think there not much juice left in the PS3 LOL. Alot of you seem to miss that little fact.

Why did a thread about potential console capability go right in to the typical PS3 hater fanboy response of "ohh well PS3 is hard to develop for"

If the article does not prove PS3 power why are they countering Killzone3s point with ohh well its hard to develop for. Why not explain why it does not mean much as far as their power is concerned. Shiet not every one is a computer nerd, dude sees 360 almost maxed out while PS3 version not even using SPUs the things touted as the Cell power. Well you get his view point ?
Dude, read the rest of the interview. The dev said it himself that the PS3 is much more difficult to develope for. He took a few shots at the cell architecture as well. We're pointing out what Killzone3 oh so accidently missed out on during posting this thread.

And WTF does that have to do with his PS3 power point of view ?

He did not even talk crap or anything just posted something good about the PS3, but thats not allowed.

BenKenobi88 said:

To Sqrl, even though Valve has source code for all three platforms, it's still possible that EA is helping development for PS3.

Very true, but I will say I feel comfortable in knowing that at the very least Valve has the primary control over development.  I won't claim to know a lot about the gritty details of game development cycles but from what I do know it seems likely EA is playing a passive role in development of the PS3 version if they are involved at all.  That is just my impression from what I have read however so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Ultimately I am confident from what I have found that the PC version is EA free and that makes me VERY happy.  I don't think EA is complete crap per se, but I would prefer valve devs over EA devs any day of the week. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
AllAll said:
Wojtas said:
AllAll said:
mistrerd, it does not matter what article he would link, you know damn well the thread would be trolled derailed and like always would become a big flame war.

As far as power they aren't even using the SPUs!!! you think there not much juice left in the PS3 LOL. Alot of you seem to miss that little fact.

Why did a thread about potential console capability go right in to the typical PS3 hater fanboy response of "ohh well PS3 is hard to develop for"

If the article does not prove PS3 power why are they countering Killzone3s point with ohh well its hard to develop for. Why not explain why it does not mean much as far as their power is concerned. Shiet not every one is a computer nerd, dude sees 360 almost maxed out while PS3 version not even using SPUs the things touted as the Cell power. Well you get his view point ?
Dude, read the rest of the interview. The dev said it himself that the PS3 is much more difficult to develope for. He took a few shots at the cell architecture as well. We're pointing out what Killzone3 oh so accidently missed out on during posting this thread.

He did not even talk crap or anything just posted something good about the PS3, but thats not allowed.

I think the point was it the quote was more a backhanded complement then an actual complement.

It wasn't a "Nobody knows the power of the PS3 because our scanning devices explode like in DBZ."

It was a "Nobody knows the power of the PS3 because it's a pain to program and until Sony or someone else can tell us exactly how much power the cell has you can't expect a development company to improve much further for fear of hitting a border we can't see."

It should be easy for a developer to know the limits of a well designed system i think was the implication of that statement.

It'd be if the 360 was 10 by 10 foot room with spikes on all the walls and the PS3 was a room with spikes in the walls that you know is bigger then the 360 room... but that's about all you know as it's pitch black past the 10 by 10 foot center of the room.  Thanks to the pitch blackness all that extra space isn't of any use to you because you don't want to risk getting impaled by the spikes.

You guys should know that Gabe Newell hates the PS3, he said that in so many words in a video interview. So I don't even think its worth using this as ammunition for or against the PS3. It's the same problems as always, and I am thinking that Valve just said that they don't care anymore on this one and decided not to bother trying. This isn't pro PS3 and it isn't anti PS3, Gabe Newell literally did say that he thinks Sony should scrap the PS3, so I don't think we can use this information in favor or against the PS3.

Is this the thread you were talking about being derailed? It sounds like a vague quote that is very open to interpretation, so it really doesn't surprise me that much. I could see your side of things if it was a perfectly innocent thread being derailed but this one is based on a vague quote which can be good and bad.

I think the PS3 threads have a very innate ability to create controversy because the point of most of them is to prove that it is superior in every way to the other consoles, which can you really blame us for bugging you about. With Wii threads its always about discussing the latest Smash Bros update, or the Metroid countdown. There really isn't anything to cause controversy there. Show me otherwise, and I will post in the eat crow thread, if I can find it.

Around the Network

"You know---you have complexer AI"

Is complexer a real word? 

Yes

why does everyone have to blow everything out of proportion... valve just havent put any effort into getting the best out of the ps3 and everyone has to take that out of context to a whole other level that doesnt have anything to do with what they said.. shame on you guys shame

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Do people actually spend their days browsing through the web and finding a paragraph or quote that supports their system, and ignoring anything else that bashes there system?

And do people spend their days going through these articles to try to spin the information that the other person spent their days looking for?*

*albeit that this would be one of the easier ones to spin.

Kasz216 said:
AllAll said:
Wojtas said:
AllAll said:

I think the point was it the quote was more a backhanded complement then an actual complement.

It wasn't a "Nobody knows the power of the PS3 because our scanning devices explode like in DBZ."

It was a "Nobody knows the power of the PS3 because it's a pain to program and until Sony or someone else can tell us exactly how much power the cell has you can't expect a development company to improve much further for fear of hitting a border we can't see."

It should be easy for a developer to know the limits of a well designed system i think was the implication of that statement.

It'd be if the 360 was 10 by 10 foot room with spikes on all the walls and the PS3 was a room with spikes in the walls that you know is bigger then the 360 room... but that's about all you know as it's pitch black past the 10 by 10 foot center of the room.  Thanks to the pitch blackness all that extra space isn't of any use to you because you don't want to risk getting impaled by the spikes.

That is a very bold claim to make (so I bolded it).  But are you sure that's what they meant?  It's certainly not what they said, after all.  So to put owrds into their mouth like that is a a dangerous propostion.  The only thing they really said is that the Xbox 360 can only just barely handle the game and that the PS3 is hard to program for.  The two statements can't even be compared, as they are rated on two different scales.  Maybe the PS3 is harder to program than the PCs they are used to, but that doesn't mean they couldn't learn how to do it or that it will always be harder to work with for every developer.  It just means they don't want to because they like the way they used to it, as per the comments of the company's most important man when he said he still prefers PC

They are just set in their old ways and don't want to adapt to changes they don't initiate on their own (which is human nature).  Valve would rather stay PC-oriented, but the market tells them that there isn't a great future in that and they simply can't accept their fate without complaint. It only takes a quick read to learn that some important people in the company don't like anything but PCs, so of course they would complain about anything that doesn't mirror what they already trust and love.

The PS3 is harder to work with, but it apparently is capble of giving better results to the people who are willing to work with it.  As a consumer I see the trade as a good one.  If developers are willing to put in the work they seem to be able to put out a better product (though we have no idea by how much) and that will in turn entice a number of customers to "vote" with their money.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

ChichiriMuyo said:

The PS3 is harder to work with, but it apparently is capble of giving better results to the people who are willing to work with it.

That's the problem though, despite the 2+ or so years of development on PS3 titles, what has been shown to differentiate the Cell as a viable game development solution to the 360 Xenon? So far, the PS3 has simply shown tougher development with little to show at the end of it to stand out against the 360. I'm not gonna pretend I know anything about CPU's or software development because I don't, but my example is based purely on what the consumers are seeing in the final products. Are we going to see an inferior HL2 on the PS3 as well because of it's hardware like we have so many other titles? Valve as a developer definitely know what they're talking about too.

And Killzone3, to 'not care about' Valve or to deny HL2 is to deny yourself one of the greatest First Person Shooter experiences ever made, add to that Team Fortress 2 which is going to be brilliant and the unique Portal, you're shooting yourself in the foot a bit making such statements.