By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Valve on HL2 differences between the 360 and PS3

This interview is being debunked all over the internet as fake.

It's from some forum and some poster who CLAIMS to be a Vivendi designer (which has nothing to do with Valve or Half-Life 2 btw) and even at that, it's obvious he's full of it.

At one point he says the physics are on RSX..well if you know anything technically you know right away that's not possible...RSX is not suited for physics. I dont even think it's possible.

And yeah, the fact he says things like "complexer" should give you a clue.

If you want to hear valve speak on PS3/360 there's plenty of real interviews with Gabe Newell out there, and in most of them he says he's not too fond of PS3.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Come on it is rediculous to start bashing Killzone 3 for no freaking reason. Why is he to blame if a dev says the PS3 has more power than the 360. Don't shoot the messenger.

@ everyone accusing Sony fanboys of jumping on graphics just because of PS3

Have you guys seen some of the stuff PS2 pulled off. Sure the chipset was weaker, and the PS2 did not have as much RAM as the other systems, but it sure did make some awsome looking games. Anyone that thinks GT4 was not the best looking racer last gen is in denial. How about God of War 2 I think plenty of Sony fans have gloated about how awsome the graphics are in that game.

What people fail to realize is that the PS2 was the best designed system of last gen. Even with vastly underpowered hardware compared to the competition it continued to stand up next to its rivals in graphics. The reason it did this is because of the design and how the EE and GS worked together. Now with the PS3 Sony has the best hardware, the same amount of Ram, and they still have the Genius design Ken Kuteragi is known for. Cell and RSX might as well be one chip, oh my god did you guys know that EE and GS became one chip in the end of PS2 life, bet I know another console that will do the same thing. The only downfall to this design is it is hard to get people to use it the right way. A lot of devs are set on putting CPU stuff on the CPU and GPU stuff on the GPU, so early games are just crap. However as you go along justa as we saw with the PS2 stuff starts to happen that devs said we will never be able to do that. And you know what Playstation fans have known this for years.

So PS guys gloating about good graphics is not this new thing to the industry. It has been around for quite a while, and it will continue and get even worse this gen, so I hope that all the KK haters are ready to bash the hell out of the people that see his geniu, because you are going to be doing it a lot over the next 8 years at least.
I just have to quote this;

The PS2 was/is a mess of a system, and the very definition of a rush job. The genuis Krazy Ken did not design the EE/GS to work together or be some sort of super chip, in fact the GS was really an afterthought. Most of the PS2 design time was put into the CPU, then the Dreamcast hit and Sony realized that they couldn't sit on their ass and wait for the design to mature and iron itself out. So, the system was pulled together as fast as possible and consequently it was very poorly put together from a design standpoint. Furthermore, this is the reason why the PS2 went through numerous, major hardware revisions after it launched in Japan but before it hit the US (just a few months)

Really, all of Kutaragis consoles have been "unbalanced" so to speak. The PS1 was designed with 3d in mind, and consequenlty had very poor real 2d performance.

But the part about the PS3 is by far the best. Originally the PS3 was going to be 4 Cell chips all tacked together, each with its own bank of RAM. This design would have the Cell act as both CPU and GPU. However, Sony realized that such a design would be neither offer the cost and performance they needed, so they went shoping around for a GPU. At first they had a plan in the works with ATI, but they weren't happy with that so nVidia offered them a reworked G70 GPU.

Cell and RSX working together as "one chip" is no different than the 360, which will also likely have a revision that places the CPU and GPU on the same die.

And last gen I always heard mention from PS gamers that the game library and quality is what mattered, and the fact that Halo had better graphics wasn't important :( Maybe you're living in a different world than me?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sharky said:At one point he says the physics are on RSX..well if you know anything technically you know right away that's not possible...RSX is not suited for physics. I dont even think it's possible.

Actualy, the Havoc physics engine allows physics calculations to be run on a GPU's shaders.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Killzone3, you should just stop posting. Your point was proven wrong and you didn't have a comeback so you just had to insult everyone when we're trying to actually be civilized people. If you stopped being a fanboy for five seconds and read all the posts, you would see that you're being very immature about this.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

sieanr said:

And last gen I always heard mention from PS gamers that the game library and quality is what mattered, and the fact that Halo had better graphics wasn't important :( Maybe you're living in a different world than me?

Everyone has changed their opinions from last gen to suit what is happening to their current console :) For nintendo people it's now having a big install base and lots of games, unlike for the cube where game quality mattered more.

Sony people now go for power and graphics when last time they had neither.

As for microsoft people, well I suppose they're still banging on about Halo :)

Yes

Around the Network

im sorry to say this but that video graphically was EXACTLY the same as when i play HL2 on my pc and guess what my pc is exactly the same power as the wii. and using the controls of the ps3 and xbox360 this version is gonna not sell well at all. HL2 IS and ever will be a pc game. no matter how sony fanboys and micorsoft fanboys talk about it

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

Born and raised for PC. I'm sorry if people think I'm a bad mod for pointing out that Killzone3 is just using Valve as a platform to show that the PS3 is uber-powerful, but he apparently doesn't even care about Valve. Valve has been for the PC gamers for like a decade...I don't think console gamers get it as much...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

@ Sqrl 

Valve is easily one of the best, if not the best, developer out there

I recommend you to check out Super Stardust HD, it's developed by Housemarque, a small group of talented coders with their origin on the Amiga platform.

Not tapping into the SPEs the PS3 is very easy to develop for, even when making a game engine with the SPEs
in mind the PS3 is easier to develop for than the PS2.

Without an SPE enabled game engine it's very much like developing for a single-core Mac or PC. However they won't be able to tap into the bulk of the PS3's true CPU processing potential. 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I just want them to sell episode 2 seperately. I don't want to buy Half Life 2 and episode 1 again. And yes Half life and valve very much a big part of PC gaming. It is pretty dumb to listen to killzone say he doesn't care about them or their game, but at the same time quote them for their information, while also ignoring later parts of the quote.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
I just want them to sell episode 2 seperately. I don't want to buy Half Life 2 and episode 1 again. And yes Half life and valve very much a big part of PC gaming. It is pretty dumb to listen to killzone say he doesn't care about them or their game, but at the same time quote them for their information, while also ignoring later parts of the quote.

You can buy it seperately on Steam, or buy the Orange Box and give the games you don't want to a friend through Steam...but yeah, I'd buy them seperately hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )