By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Arma II Officially Better Looking Than Crysis?

And to think, I would've not heard alot about this game if it weren't for the fact that it looked good.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Mummelmann said:
sc94597 said:

Wow I think it might have surpassed crysis in realism. Especially considering both seem to be open world games.

Edit: 10,000th Post

Why do people insist that Crysis is an open world game? It is far from that, its a normal FPS with slightly wider corridors (there's not a single instance or place in the entire game that is even remotely open world or "sandbox").

Because Critek sold that mith to us.

They fabricated a big lie but the mith of Crisis being open world lives on.

You really like the letter 'i' much more than the letter 'y', don't you? :P

It's Crytek, Crysis and myth. Sorry, but I just couldn't help acting like a grammar nazi here. :)

@ OP

Crysis hasn't even been fully realized by computers. There are tons of config tweaks and settings being played with to make the game look even more realistic than the developers intended (look up NaturalMod and CCC tweaks) and the best consumer level computer hardware is still being pushed to the edge in getting the game to run in its intended form. Arma 2 looks swell but Crysis still looks better in my eyes.

Crysis' reign is going to come to an end at this GDC or E3 anyways ...

Companies like id, Valve and Epic are all already working on their next generation so that they can be sold in 2010 to developers who are beginning development on next generation games, and all of these companies are probably working on games which show off these engines. While these engines will probably not push the latest and greatest hardware as hard as previous engines did, they will probably be designed with a entry level graphics card of today (Radeon HD4830 for example) to be the minimum requirements for these games (that will probably be released late 2010/2011). When these developers start showing off their games in the next several months they will probably stand head and shoulders above Crysis simply because they have access to far greater processing power.

HappySqurriel said:

Companies like id, Valve and Epic are all already working on their next generation so that they can be sold in 2010 to developers who are beginning development on next generation games, and all of these companies are probably working on games which show off these engines. While these engines will probably not push the latest and greatest hardware as hard as previous engines did, they will probably be designed with a entry level graphics card of today (Radeon HD4830 for example) to be the minimum requirements for these games (that will probably be released late 2010/2011). When these developers start showing off their games in the next several months they will probably stand head and shoulders above Crysis simply because they have access to far greater processing power.

This is definitely true. Of course, it is expected that the newer engines will out-do the old ones. However, Crysis being reigning champ for as long as it has while being relatively unchallenged is quite a testament to the guys at Crytek.

There was a thread at Gametrailers a few days ago about a team that makes mods for Crysis that are working on their own engine that will feature all of CryEngine's features with major enhancements to some while being implemented in a much more optimized manner. I'm trying to find it again but no luck yet.

I wonder what Crytek is up to in the meantime. CryEngine 3 or just enhancements to the current engine? Also, I've got a feeling they may enter into the console business quite soon and I can't wait to see how they adapt their tech to take advantage of each HD console's unique advantages. After acquiring Free Radical and claiming that Crysis: Warhead is their last PC gaming venture (hopefully it isn't!), it's only a short wait away to be blown away by them again.

HappySqurriel said:

Good points, as usual! When Source Engine 2.0 and Unreal Engine 4 come out... well, let's just say that Crysis won't be all that any more. Add to the fact that Valve and Epic actually makes playable games and you have yourself a massive win!

Around the Network

In the next few months? I doubt it.

Crisis was years before it's time. I'm confident that we won't see anything more impressive in 2009, not engine nor game.

Not even Id's Tech 5 (with Rage as first game) is a better looking engine than Cri-Engine 2. It's incredibly more hardware efficient and probably also has some convenient tricks for easy-developing (like megatextures) but iso far t doesn't look as great looking as Crisis.

nice ,..like to kill zone 2,..

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Slimebeast said:

^ pause the clip when the helicopters are lifting. Crisis doesn't even come close to those grafix.

(not that it has a realistic chance either, since the Arma II trailer is pre-rendered or something)

What part?  I got bored and looked away for a second and only saw the helicopters in the air and it still didn't impress me as much as Crysis.

Oh, my gosh, I can't take it and had to sign up and post.  Check out www.arma2.com and get informed (checkout the 'propaganda' PDF's for features, yes it's actually called that).  Unlike CM,  EVERYTHING you see in vids and images is ingame, you have old and new images here, and this vid is old as well.  Look at the trailers from the first to the latest and check the improvements, they are giving you an insiders view to how they are finishing up and polishing the game for release.  Gameplay is the name of this game, and is what will finally sell me on it, but I'm excited on multicore optimisations, and the new sound engine, not sure there's any others like it. (again, check out the PDF's)  Time will tell the truth.

Slimebeast said:

Amazing, and so realistic! It's just a trailer though, it won't look like that in-game. Not even close.

Slimebeast said:

^ pause the clip when the helicopters are lifting. Crisis doesn't even come close to those grafix.

(not that it has a realistic chance either, since the Arma II trailer is pre-rendered or something)

Slimebeast said:

But I want a game that looks that good!

In next gen... maybe.

Slimebeast said:

Because Critek sold that mith to us.

They fabricated a big lie but the mith of Crisis being open world lives on.

1) ALL ArmA II videos and pictures are INGAME.

2) Not ONE video or picture has been "pre-rendered" What you see it what you will get.

3) I'm going to take a pillowcase and fill it full of bars of soap and beat the shit out of you.

lol #3... MAYBE a bit over the top, don't you think? ;)