By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony says "active worldwide install base of 21.3 million PS3"

seece said:
Grooski said:

For crying out loud, when Sony release info showing VGC figures being a little off, the fanboys automatically believe Sony's figures are wrong, or misinterpreted differently, and believe VGC figures are more accurate?????

Sweet jesus, the guy plainly says, the installed base. No one has ever counted shipped to retail as installed base. It is probably a measure from registered PS3 serials. If not everyone registers their system, the install base figure is actually higher.

VGC is undertracking, that can be certain.

Christ, so you think 21.3 (every PS3 shipped as of December) has been registered? and if so they may have sold more than 21.3! How many PS3s do you think are sold??!!

No, I can tell you nowhere near all PS3s are registered, same goes for 360's and Wiis, heck I'm sure millions of console owners don't know anything about registering their console ...

Oh come on!! Sony shipped figures are for Dec. Jan shipments in the order of 400k make shipped to date figures around 22 mill. Install base of 21.3 mill means 0.5-0.7 million in the channel. Exactly what we'd expect.

An installed base means exactly that. Units counted as sold to consumer and "installed". Not shipped to retail. Not held in distribution and not sitting on shelf space.

How would you know how many PS3s are registered?? I tend to believe Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft rather than anecdotal evidence from a forum. The fanboy cr*p in here on both sides is getting real old real fast.

Around the Network

meh even if it is "undertracked" it's only by about 5% as the OP says, which as far as i'm concerned is well within a reasonable margin of error anyway.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Figures are undertracked by a million units and you think thats reasonable? So basically the gap between PS3 and X360 now around 7 million, not 8 as previously thought and its fine??

I think this, plus the Wii debacle at Dec quarter shows that the sites figures need some adjustment. You CANNOT put figures to 2 decimal places in the front page figures and then say "plus or minus a million". It just doesn't work like that and makes the site look foolish.

If VGC wants to be credible, it needs to back itself when adjustments need to be made. At the moment that is the case.

here we go again, Sony has done this before and so has microsoft using words like "install base" when they are talking about shipped numbers. We have had threads about this already discussing how Sony and Microsoft aren't using the meaning of "install base" correctly, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still shipped data. Those who are veterans on this site already know this.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Grooski said:

Figures are undertracked by a million units and you think thats reasonable? So basically the gap between PS3 and X360 now around 7 million, not 8 as previously thought and its fine??

I think this, plus the Wii debacle at Dec quarter shows that the sites figures need some adjustment. You CANNOT put figures to 2 decimal places in the front page figures and then say "plus or minus a million". It just doesn't work like that and makes the site look foolish.

If VGC wants to be credible, it needs to back itself when adjustments need to be made. At the moment that is the case.

Well actually, for the past x amount of years, this debate has gone on and on... and every time MS/Sony announce install base/units sold, it turns out they WHERE refering to shipped data and not actual units to persons. (unless they claim the data is from NPD/GFK/Media create etc.)  Hence why people who have been around here for a long time get annoyed so easily when others claim it IS "install base/Units to persons"...  It's just that they tend to know what the term "install base" means when it comes from Sony/MS.  It happens so often it's not that funny anymore.  Stupid Sony, why can't they just state the obviouse instead of causing confusion...  Just wait and see Grooski, if Sony are spinning PR the same way they ALWAYS tend to spin, then it will turn out to be "Shipped."  But if they aren't spinning, then the numbers will get adjusted........  Can you see why there is so much confusion?

Also, Have you ever noticed anyone get confused with Nintendo's numbers before??? 

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

Around the Network

Once again, retail shipments through December:

Grooski said:

Dude give it a rest, its already been proven in this thread Sony are talking about shipped figures. The gap is neither 7 or 8 million ... its 8.05

READ THE DAMN THREAD PEOPLE.

I swear some of you suffer from can't readfreadafrikkinthing.

If you have failed to read the whole thread, your comment should be disregarded as not worth the bandwidth required to host it.

Once again.....unless stated as being reported by a consumer sales tracking firm such as NPD, Chart Track/GfK, Media Create, Famitsu, etc....then any reported figures by Sony, MS, Nintendo or 3rd party publisher will be sold to retailers.

Always has been (except when Sony reported manufactured units) and always will be, and if this ever changes it will be well discussed and established so you can kindly read about it.

This is not a matter of VGC undertracking PS3 sales, it is a matter of you not reading the damn thread. I mean what the hell is the point of a threaded discussion if you don't even read it? You think your singular post is of such great importance that is has relevance above any others posted that it supersedes the necessity to peruse what may have been posted prior to your own grandiose insights?

My apologies for being so blunt but some of you kids need to pay better attention and learn a thing or two. And if you're not a kid an old enough to know better, shame on you.

The rEVOLution is not being televised