By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony says "active worldwide install base of 21.3 million PS3"

In the PR news release about its official expansion into Latin America, Sony states:

...already consisting of an active worldwide install base of 21.3 million PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) computer entertainment system ...

Ref: http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=ind_focus.story&STORY=/www/story/02-20-2009/0004975832&EDATE=

That number is about 1M more than what VGChartz has the PS3 listed as selling. So there are three possibilities.

1. VGChartz has undertracked the PS3 (a less than 5% error).

2. Sony is quoting sales to stoores (which is what they know).

3. Sony misspoke (which happened by 10M on the PS2 sales).

My money would be on No. 2 -- but any of these or a combination thereof is possible.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

The confusing thing is that that is the same figure as their shipment figures through December 30th 08

mike_intellivision said:

3. Sony misspoke (which happened by 10M on the PS2 sales).

What does that mean?

well i highly doubt that. Not everyone registers their system. Heck even I haven't made a psn account on my ps3 yet. Have no reason to so why waste my time.

I just put in games i want to play and play them, the way consoles are meant to be. Only reason have an account on the 360 is so i can watch netflix.

option 4: they're counting PSN accounts with a wild stab at the number of people not online? >_>

Around the Network

Defo not sold to consumers.

A) Like Munkehh111 pointed out this is the exact same figure of PS3s they said they had SHIPPED in December.

B) Microsoft announced the 360 SHIPPED 28.5

See where I am going with this?

More accounts per PS3 maybe?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Sony need a new calculator

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

so the console is undertracked or not? are this figures sold to costumers or sold to retailer?.

Munkeh111 said:
The confusing thing is that that is the same figure as their shipment figures through December 30th 08

no it's not confusing, that's what it probably is.  What the hell is a "active install base"?  We've already seen Sony use install base to mean shipped in the past.  I have a feeling they use the strange wording on purpose to confuse people.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X