By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony says "active worldwide install base of 21.3 million PS3"

johnsobas said:
Munkeh111 said:
The confusing thing is that that is the same figure as their shipment figures through December 30th 08

no it's not confusing, that's what it probably is.  What the hell is a "active install base"?  We've already seen Sony use install base to mean shipped in the past.  I have a feeling they use the strange wording on purpose to confuse people.

PR is lovely, ain't it?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

Hey, Sony counts putting boxes on shelves as having the "base installed".

This happens all the time... it's just shipment numbers as of Dedember 31st.

If you remember Sony Australia once claimed a 6 million install base worldwide about 7 months after launch..... They said "install base" but it wasn't even shipments to retail it was just produced (they had produced 5.5 million by March 31st 2007, and a further 0.7 shipped to retail in the following 3 months)

Heh.... can't wait till Sony starts announcing "sold to customers" while they consider the retailers their customers.

RolStoppable said:
mehm said:
mike_intellivision said:

3. Sony misspoke (which happened by 10M on the PS2 sales).

What does that mean?

I think it was at the E3 last year where a Sony guy said that the PS2 had shipped 140m units while their financial report showed that it was 130m.

Well, the former is production shipments, the latter unit sales aka shipped to retailer. I thought people would know the difference by now.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Hey, Sony counts putting boxes on shelves as having the "base installed".

They figure that they're installing the boxes on the base of the walls of the stores.

irstupid said:
well i highly doubt that. Not everyone registers their system. Heck even I haven't made a psn account on my ps3 yet. Have no reason to so why waste my time.

I just put in games i want to play and play them, the way consoles are meant to be. Only reason have an account on the 360 is so i can watch netflix.

yea there are a number of people i know that doesnt have PSN simply cause either they dont feel like it or they dont have a fast enough internet to keep dealing with constant extremely slow updates and such.

It's retail shipments through December. Nothing new in this.

RolStoppable said:
mehm said:
RolStoppable said:

I think it was at the E3 last year where a Sony guy said that the PS2 had shipped 140m units while their financial report showed that it was 130m.

Well, the former is production shipments, the latter unit sales aka shipped to retailer. I thought people would know the difference by now.

In this case the former is a mistake and the latter was the production shipment number at that point last year.

err no. Sony only reports unit sales now. They are now at 136m, so it makes sense that it was at 130 mid last year.

Unless they specify that the figures come from NPD, Chart-Track/GfK, Media create or Famitsu, they will always, always, ALWAYS refer to shipped units.

The rEVOLution is not being televised