By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 framerate can drop as low as 20fps

Squilliam said:
http://www.digitalfoundry.org/blog/?page_id=186

Now, we know that the COD IV on the Xbox 360 is better do we have any objections?

If you compare a standard of frame tests then sure.  There are far more differences then those.  The PS3 has more rain on one level, the 360 has more snow on another.  The 360 renders better upclose textures while losing the when viewing things in the distance.  I'm sure there are many more.  All i know is i'm hyped for CoD6, i just hope they fix the lag issues.  But that never stopped me from playing an insane amount of the game :)

Around the Network
tedsteriscool said:
If its not affecting the gameplay, why complain about it?

And to whoever said MGS4 has framerate issues: Oh my god you are the funniest person around. Even with a whole bunch of FROGS and the boss and its minions flying around in act three WHILE on a motorcycle WITH a lot of exploding barrels, thre were zero slowdowns, so kindly stfu and get out :)

Thank you.

Euphoria14 said:
KylieDog said:
I'm not arguing with fanboys. Be blind. I do not care.

It is like you jump from one thread to another and think that anything shown in the other thread magically dissapears. You post here acting ignorant when you damn well know you aren't right.

When you lie to yourself and can't even admit it to yourself I fail to see why I should even try and prove it all again. You are stuck in self denial.

Blind?

Bro, you are claiming it has framerate issues and technical problems and that GG masked it by putting in "weighted controls".

Zero on which has ever been claimed by anyone other than yourself, zero of which has ever been proven.

You say I am lying to myself, you are lying in general. You are making this up entirely. If I am not mistaken, what you are doing right now is in fact ban worthy.

You want to prove your right? Prove that I am wrong because a quick google search already proved my end. You know, the same thing that you said I am being "Lawled at because a 2 second google search would prove you right"?

Guess what, you lost that part. Will you admit your wrong? I don't expect you to.

Will I deny that people find the controls to be an issue? No, I stated that already in another thread. Your opinion is one thing. Completely fabricated bulshit is another. You made it even worse by saying "Fact is" when it isn't fact.

You can go and call me wrong all you want but as I said, I already proved me end. You have yet to prove anything.

You just hide behind "Well I don't have to prove anything", but the thing is, if you want anyone to even remotely take you seriously, you do need to back up your claims. That is the way things work in this World buddy.

Learn how to prove your point in an argument before trying to claim anyone of being blind or any other nonsense you tend to spew. If not, then nobody will ever take you seriously.

Call me a fanboy and I will return with great things said about 360 games, Wii games, PS3 games, etc... even quotes from me on game walls about wanting certain PS3 games to become multiplatform. I can go on and prove my end all day.

You know what I do if I don't like a game? Easy, I just don't post in threads about it. Instead I go and look for a game that does suit my tastes.

Good day sir.

Great post.   KylieDog has no idea what he's talking about.

NJ5 said:
So not only is it not 60 fps, but it's not even a stable 30 fps? If this is what passes for a technically good game these days, fine...

It's quite annoying that most of the 360 games I played have noticeable framerate dips whereas the Wii is much better in this regard.

Shush or you'll get the gas!  Things have to look good in screens to sell millions of games not look good in motion and play well :P

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Well when the Wii is rendering basic triangles I guess it's a little easier...

This post could have been made about any FPS in history.  It's just dumb.  No one notices frame rate drops except for whoever wrote this stupid article.  Read reviews.

Around the Network

I don't care what the framerate of a game is aslong as its stable.

I certainly hope killzone 2 doesn't have any technical issues.

windbane said:

This post could have been made about any FPS in history.  It's just dumb.  No one notices frame rate drops except for whoever wrote this stupid article.  Read reviews.

In all my years of math classes, geometry, calculus, trig and such I never knew there was "complex" triangles, what are these, do they have an extra side to them?  making them squares? :P

All 3D models everywhere are made of polygons...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
windbane said:

This post could have been made about any FPS in history. It's just dumb. No one notices frame rate drops except for whoever wrote this stupid article. Read reviews.

In all my years of math classes, geometry, calculus, trig and such I never knew there was "complex" triangles, what are these, do they have an extra side to them? making them squares? :P

All 3D models everywhere are made of polygons...

Clarification: just triangles. No polygons. Maybe some squares.

Edit:  also, no one studies MP3 to see if it has frame rate drops because no cares enough to bash it.  KZ2 is going through the same stuff that Halo and Gears did.  props to Infinity Ward for getting away with infinite spawns.  Those should be picked apart.

FaRmLaNd said:
I don't care what the framerate of a game is aslong as its stable.

I certainly hope killzone 2 doesn't have any technical issues.

None worth mentioning.  Just check all the reviews and everyone's impression of the beta.

Then again, there will always be a few people saying there are technical problems with popular games because they need something to complain about.

Squilliam said:
epsilon72 said:
windbane said:
epsilon72 said:
MGS4 had some bad framerate problems as well, so I'm not surprised.

No it didn't.

Well, then my eyes must have framerate problems then, because when I played it it sure did

(mostly when several explosions/smoke plumes were occuring at once)

Actually it averaged a little under or a little over 25 FPS according to the same source that did this frame-rate test.

If we take John Carmack as gospel when he said that you get roughly 3* the performance from halving the frame-rate from 60 locked to 30 FPS locked. You must get 4* the performance going from a game which barely deviates from 60 down to a game which can go as low as 20 FPS. Im talking 59.567 or so FPS.

Infinity Ward are some awesome developers...

Digital Foundry makes accurate, objective frame-rate and resolution measures, and I respect them very much as a source. Same goes my respect for Carmack. On the other hand taking out of context a 3x factor, and pulling out of thin air a 4x for an undefined "performance" parameter is

a) a logical fallacy

b) a rethorical dishonesty, because quoting numbers from authoritative sources out of context for pure non-seuiturs is a way to have some of the trust they rightfully earned rub off on your wishful thinking and speculations.

As someone who works in the scientific field, I am very touchy on the necessary distinction. Try pulling any kind of rethoric, logical inconsistent trick like this in an objective scientific debate and you become a laughing stock. Let's try to keep the level higher, and wait for example for the in-depth analysis Digital Foundry has promised of the performance and features of the KZ2 engine (which they seem to be highly praising, notwithstanding the 20 fps dip they measured in instances they will surely detail)

As for the "awsomeness" of Infinity Ward, you're free to tag them in any way and they are authors of a greatly entertraining game. But again, in the context of graphic engines? That's misleading.

CryEngine2 is lauded for its realism. Id's Tech5 or even the deferred rendering techniques Guerilla developed for the KZ2 engine are the object of whitepapers and discussions among workers in the field. When a commercial project needs to license an existing engine UE3 or Source are discussed.

But the engine of COD4 (modified Id doom3 engine with bloom, self-shadows and dynamic lighting updates and proprietary physiscs as I recall) was merely adequate for the game, and never more than "good looking". The lighting in particular seemed to me (PC version, where framerate was not an issue, ever) to be quite sub-par and the texturing in the game was quite poor, probably a trade-off for framerate.

But if you can point me to objective peer analysis sustantiating the "awsomeness" of the COD4 engine, I'll be happy to read about it.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman