By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii generation. History will judge the 3rd parties

kylohk said:

Choosing games to make isn't based on relative popularity, but whether a "pass mark" has been reached. Just because those games have "won" doesn't mean the losers should not exist. Just like WAW, yes, it sold much less than Wii Music but it exceeded the expectations of the developer. Hence the continued release of more COD titles is justified.

The only thing the games should compete against is themselves. Set a sales target and see if it is met. If it is met, it is a success and probably made enough money. Who cares how much more Wii Music sold? It's not like your ego is hurt because it sold less than that casual game.

I beg to differ.  The games industry works on the "Hollywood" model.  You just can't always hit your target income with a game, so you need to rely upon the blockbusters to carry the burden of all the losers it took to unveil the products that became blockbusters.

If you take mediocre performing products, and use them as targets... aren't you rolling the dice in a worse game than you are by targetting the most popular genres?  Is that wise, particularly in the industry's current state?

Portal wasn't made -- Portal happened.  The designers of great games rarely know they are going to make millions in profits from them -- the ones that do, have at least some idea that their product will profit by "guarantee" of success, via branding, licensing, advertising investment, etc. -- or as much guarantee as such things can provide.

Since you can't aim directly at greatness in games, you have to golf.  Golf with more expensive clubs, pay a lot of money to practice... you're going to do better.  And some days you're going to suck.  If you go out to play only on days when there's fog, lots of rain, etc... you're going to play worse in general, even if you scored well on a couple of rainy days in the past.

Around the Network

If the costs of developing a Wii game are that much lower, the chance of your hardcore game failing is lower as well. Besides, continuing to make casual games isn't going to be less risky these days. The market is bound to become saturated, thus requiring those devs to try harder.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

kylohk said:
If the costs of developing a Wii game are that much lower, the chance of your hardcore game failing is lower as well. Besides, continuing to make casual games isn't going to be less risky these days. The market is bound to become saturated, thus requiring those devs to try harder.

EA is def. at that point now. They know, and Sega do too, that the market is saturated in the same games.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

If I go to Walmart and don't find the brand of orange juice that I like, I will find another brand of orange juice that should still be good; and then I can choose from one of those.  Now if I was picky and really wanted a particular brand of orange juice, I'll go hunt it down elsewhere.  The problem is that there are no good brands at Walmart, they all suck, so of course I'm going to complain.  Why go to Walmart in the first place?  Because they have my favorite brand of peanut butter at a great price.

Now, I want to see Street Fighter IV on Wii; if I was picky and really wanted to play SFIV, I'd just buy the 360 version, it's just that I prefer my Wii and would play the Wii version if I had the choice.  Or maybe I just wanted to play a good fighter that doesn't have "Smash" in the title, in which case any fighter would do, but the selection is so poor.  If Capcom released Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, then I'd play that, but the odds of it coming out in America are slim to none.  What I want is not a specific game, I just want better games in general; I want third parties to start taking the Wii seriously, like the market leader it is, and to stop with crappy, small, chinsy cash-ins.

This is a great exaple.  A game with an art style like Street Fighter IV is not graphically intensive.  On the Wii it would not look too bad.  Brawl shows there is a proven market for good fighters on the Wii, although that game obviously is helped by having Nintendo characters.  Why would the third parties then not even make an effort to make a good fighter with high production values like Street Fighter IV on the Wii?  I bet a game like that would do well against the Nintendo offerings.

I want some orange juice, and all they give me is baby formula. 

SF2 HD on PS360 PISSES ME OFF BIGTIME

F--k Capcom, who the hell are these people? I was excited for MM9 (exclusively?) on Wii. B-----tards spit in our face and then tell us its Budweiser

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
JoHnNyFr3sC0 said:
This isnt surprising...The Nintendo Wii customers brought this upon themselves...if they would STOP buying all this Wiifit and all these shovelware titles maybe they would get some decent games...

Till then your going to be stuck with shovelware and companies porting crap over to the system...

I don't know. If I look at the best selling games on the system I also see games like Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, SSBB, Twilight Princess and some others which are of really high quality. So if we have roughly half of the top selling games being "Wii Fit and shovelware titles" and the other half consisting of some of the best games this generation, shouldn't according to you third parties act accordingly to these sales trends and also make high quality games for the Wii?

Weren't all those "high quality games" on the Cube and 64 in some fashion or another? How did those consoles fare when it came to 3rd parties? LOL

RolStoppable said:
BMaker11 said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't know. If I look at the best selling games on the system I also see games like Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, SSBB, Twilight Princess and some others which are of really high quality. So if we have roughly half of the top selling games being "Wii Fit and shovelware titles" and the other half consisting of some of the best games this generation, shouldn't according to you third parties act accordingly to these sales trends and also make high quality games for the Wii?

Weren't all those "high quality games" on the Cube and 64 in some fashion or another? How did those consoles fare when it came to 3rd parties? LOL

Those games were also on the NES and SNES in one form or another. How did those consoles fare when it came to third parties?

But I guess your point was to highlight the stupidity of a certain group of gamers who apparently think that videogaming started with the PlayStation and everything before that didn't actually happen.

Sadly enough, there is also a group of gamers (who are between 13 and 18 now) that reached an age where they could start critically evaluating videogames on any level after the PS2 was launched ...

I find it kind of odd seeing these people argue about how awful the Wii is because it doesn't produce graphics in high definition with advanced pixel shaders when many of my favourite games of all time were displayed at a small fraction of the Wii's 480p in 8 bit color (or worse).

I work in a high school and for the 90% of my students, videogaming started with the Playstation One x_X

No wonder why they refer to the wii, the same way Bmaker and many PS/xbox fans do.

RolStoppable said:
BMaker11 said:
RolStoppable said:

Those games were also on the NES and SNES in one form or another. How did those consoles fare when it came to third parties?

But I guess your point was to highlight the stupidity of a certain group of gamers who apparently think that videogaming started with the PlayStation and everything before that didn't actually happen.

Oh no....I've been around since the NES days of Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. All's I'm saying is, it's kind of stupid to try and say "Well, since Mario and Zelda sell well, 3rd parties should come to Nintendo". Times have changed, and arguably, they changed when the PS brand came into the picture. And they've evidently changed extensively if those "high quality games" were on the GCN and 64 and they got destroyed in sales and didn't have much 3rd party support.

It's pretty much a given that those games will sell. The Xbox, with only 25 million sold lifetime sold like 8 million copies of Halo 2....did that usher in a wave of good 3rd party games for it?

P.S. The fact that you bring up that those games "were also on the NES and SNES" makes me think. Why're you still playing them? A lot of the times, the HD consoles get criticizes for "sequelitis". Mario Kart and Super Mario have been around for like 20 years....yet they get universal praise. Yet, because Metal Gear Solid just got done with it's 4th iteration, it's called unoriginal and you're "tired of playing the same game with just updated graphics"....wtf

famousringo said:
Ail said:
LoL.

To me this will be remembered as the generation with the most people that bought a console without looking at its game library and then spent half the gen asking for stuff they like to be ported to their console.......( and complaining about every port because it's not like the original...)

Stupid customers! Demanding companies offer the goods they want to buy. They'll show us who's boss.

lol