By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii generation. History will judge the 3rd parties

Sky Render said:
Yeah, pretty interesting thread. Hey, did anybody ever notice how the NES library is literally PACKED with games that nobody ever played, that were cheap cash-in attempts from PC developers who folded like a house of cards shortly afterwards?

He doesn't forget it.

Around the Network
flagship said:
megaman79 said:

So clearly whats happening is companies will not wait to develop a game specifically for Wii, that suits its attributes, because the Wii is getting a whole lot of lazy crap.

History will judge this generation as an absolute tragedy and mistake made by everyone in the industry. 3rd parties will crash and burn, while flailing their arms about in the deep blue ocean, only sparingly attempting to shoot a signal flare to be rescued.

That flare (the wii game) is just not enough. Why? Because the 360, that uses dvds, can produce big games with lots of new ideas and creativity (nintendo can do this obviously) but the Wii gets nothing. Nothing but a weak attempt at a quick cash in. Don't try and argue with me. Dead Space Wii is a cheap cash in just like Nascar racing is a cheap cash in.

History will say, this was the generation that everyone thought was over before it began, PS3 and 360 would destroy the Wii and 3rd parties would succeed on the HD systems. But this didn't happen. Now the Wii will go down in history as the "casual" console. Every attempt to "cash in" is a direct insult to what the Wii could have been. Big developers, excluding Sega, will be responsible for this continued labelling of the Wii.

What EA should have done was find out what is missing on the Wii and made that. They should have tried to replicate the xbox original build. They chose to make a game that was too common on the Wii to make it appealing enough.

I have advice for 3rd parties that continue to drag the Nintendo Wii's reputation through the mud. DO NOT MAKE ANY GAMES. Don't make them, there is no point if your can't bother to do things properly.

You are ruining the reputation of Nintendo and untill you go away for atleast 3 years and come back with something that genuinly works do not bother. Im starting to think the reviewers are right, that is the worst thing of all.

And what games has Nintendo brought us for the Wii recently?

Wii Music, oh boy!

And what quality games is Nintendo going to bring us in the near future?

Remakes of Metriod Prime, Mario Tennis and Pikmin....

Thrid parties aren't exactly the only ones slacking here.

Wii Music is genious!

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

CHYUII said:
Tremble said:
Pfffff plz people, stop bashing 3rd parties, it's pretty clear now that regular games don't sell well on wii. Just look at the past japanese chartz, there were big third parties games and they all floped.

You make a swell point. There are some games that have been released that had a lot of thought and work  put into them but did not sell. I think about games like Ele-bits and Zak and something or other. The reviewers loved the games but the public hated it.

Then along come games like Carnival Games and Sonic and Mario and multimillion dollar sales ifollow?

It's hard to nail down what will sell on the Wii. The casual crowd is not that informed and will fall for things like advertising and pretty boxes. And i can't blame them.

Quoting for truth and stuff. We Sophistacated Gamers never fall for hype, and always go beyond a game's surface to judge its true quality. We also know that when the game reviewers speak, their word is final, because we trust in professionals, see. Meanwhile, those stupid casuals are going by what their friends say, or what they think after actually playing the game.

Twits, all of them. I hope they leave Our hobby alone in the future. Oh, for the day when the only games that are allowed to be released/played are the games that I personally approve of...I assure you, it will be a glorious Golden Age composed  of cybernitic-gangsters-turned-space marines, battling aliens and zombies using their super-powers, but occasionally pausing for a cutscene or two to ponder what the real meaning of love is. All in glorious 1080p, with surround sound, of course. I can't wait...

Hasn't EA said they can't ignore the Wii any longer and are going to try and put big-named titles on it?

RolStoppable said:
What exactly is a big third party game on the Wii? Everything that costed more than $3 million to develop?

At this point, "done by the B-team" usually qualifies now. It used to be "C-team" though, so there's definitely progress!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
What exactly is a big third party game on the Wii? Everything that costed more than $3 million to develop?

Well all the biggest 3rd party HD games have numbers after them. FarCry 2, Geometry Wars 2, Unreal Tournament 3, Fallout 3, Street Fighter 4, Dead or Alive 4, Devil May Cry 4, Call of Duty 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Soul Calibur 4, Grand Theft Auto IV, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Resident Evil 5, Virtua Fighter 5, Final Fantasy XIII.

Clearly numbered sequel = BIG GAME. Especially if that number is four. But developers don't like the Wii, so they give it subtitled games, which are smaller then numbered games. Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Soul Calibur Legends, Dead Space: Extraction, Overlord: Dark Legend, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Skate It, Call of Duty: World of War. (Activision even took the number off the HD ones as well so it doesn't look like they want to support the Wii.) EA puts the All-Play logo after the Wii game titles as well so you don't notice the number anymore. The only big third party game the Wii got was Resident Evil 4, and that was a port.

Even successful Wii-exclusive games don't get numbers because they're not big games either. Trauma Center: New Blood, No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle, Boom Blox Bash Party, Carnival Games: Mini Golf. Ubisoft tried to make Rayman Raving Rabbids into a big game with Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, but had to downgrade it to a subtitle with Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party.

Clearly a big game is one with a number after it. It makes perfect sense.™

RolStoppable said:

Excellent post and almost perfect. You missed one little thing, but I added it.

My mistake, forget you're trade marking that now.

Number thing is all true though, ever since Street Fighter 2. Capcom thought it was just 2 that was sacred, that's why they refused to make a game called Street Fighter 3 untill years later. Now that they know four is a bigger selling number, they finally made Street Fighter 4.

Some companies try different versions of the number system to drum up sales. Like Army of Two and Left 4 Dead sold really well, espeically Left 4 Dead, because it has a four in it. Some compaines try to outright fool customers into thinking they're getting a sequel. Like Data Design Interactive.

There is no Anubis I, at all. =P

Who wants to bet that Monster Hunter 3 is the highest budget 3rd party Wii game made yet?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
Who wants to bet that Monster Hunter 3 is the highest budget 3rd party Wii game made yet?

Sounds about right, it has a 3 in it after all. That's bigger than 2, which is bigger than a game without a number in it.

I've learned a lot from Rol and BrainBox, thanks guys!

megaman79 said:

Due to royalty payment for songs my expectations is that the highest budget 3rd party Wii game is probably Guitar Hero World Tour..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !