By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Have Nintendo officially won this generation?

Sky Render said:
I have a better question: were people still asking if Nintendo had officially won the generation with the NES back in 1988? Probably somebody was, but I don't remember hearing any of it if it did happen. I was too busy playing my NES to care what anybody said about it.

There's probably a lesson in that somewhere...

Don't be silly. There is no lesson to learn here. Just go back to playing your Wii and leave us to our bickering and squabbling...

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

Around the Network

^Haha, and hardly anyone used Usenet, let alone the Internet back then.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

I would argue that for mainstream media Nintendo has won. Seemingly they are still the only company that gets this mainstream appeal, not even the PS2 did this. For core video game media theyre denial will continue for a while yet.

When websites like 1up, Xplay, etc start appreciating Wii games the way they should be then i believe Nintendo will officially win the gen. But this will take a long time and will probably take another 10 or 20 excellent "core" titles, and the advertising revenue from them, in order for the meme to change.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

jesus kung fu magic said:
Infinity said:
Pristine20 said:
Infinity said:
It's too early to call this generation. Wii is in decline and may still fall from the top spot. 360 will sell less than the PS3 for sure. My predictions are in my sig.

you really think so?

I think it is possible. By no means am I predicting that it will LIKELY happen. We will have to wait and see how well the Wii performs, particularly next holiday season. Without a steep drop in momentum by the Wii soon though, or something else unforeseen happening, Nintendo will be able to call it.

crazzyman????? Is that you???

I think Crazzyman's problem was that he couldn't see the flaw in his logic. He wasn't actually a troll.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Hammertime said:

Is it classed as official yet, or are some still hoping for miracle? Can I "officially" declare the Wii as this generations winner?

Can I "officially" declare .....

wow, someone doesn't think much of themselves....especially for asking a question that was settled a year ago with the sentence "we don't regard wii as competition".

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

Wow some are really in denial(which is not a river in Egypt).

Yeah the Wii has won and has won easily. PS3 may finish second but will need to do some fancy footwork to secure the place and I dont think it has it in it.

RukiSama said:

if you consider an enormous mass of people influenced by marketing and kiddy games, that continue to buy only the same 3/4 games as a winner.. yes they win.

but i think that the real game industry in another thing.. thant's why serious games aren't comin out for wii (i mean, something that is not just nice to see and easy to play)

[with this I dont mean Wii is kiddish.. is just CASUAL.. and the software market is the prove.. without Wii Sports (bundled almost everywhere), Wii Fit, Wii Play and Mario Kart.. look what left :/]

RukiSame, I leave you to ponder this about what is the real game industry:

The Wii includes a virtual console that let's people play old classic games, this feature alone is a greater feature for any real gamer than anything offered by either the 360 or the PS3.

In my opinion, even if Nintendo hadn't revolutionized the controler, by splitting it in two, they would still be the obvious choice for anybody primarily interested in games. For media hub fanatics though, I can see how they would not be too interested in buying a gaming machine when what they want is a media center.

I say thank you to Nintendo, for stepping up and not letting Sony and Microsoft kill off gaming completely.

Bong Lover said:
RukiSama said:

if you consider an enormous mass of people influenced by marketing and kiddy games, that continue to buy only the same 3/4 games as a winner.. yes they win.

but i think that the real game industry in another thing.. thant's why serious games aren't comin out for wii (i mean, something that is not just nice to see and easy to play)

[with this I dont mean Wii is kiddish.. is just CASUAL.. and the software market is the prove.. without Wii Sports (bundled almost everywhere), Wii Fit, Wii Play and Mario Kart.. look what left :/]

RukiSame, I leave you to ponder this about what is the real game industry:

The Wii includes a virtual console that let's people play old classic games, this feature alone is a greater feature for any real gamer than anything offered by either the 360 or the PS3.

In my opinion, even if Nintendo hadn't revolutionized the controler, by splitting it in two, they would still be the obvious choice for anybody primarily interested in games. For media hub fanatics though, I can see how they would not be too interested in buying a gaming machine when what they want is a media center.

I say thank you to Nintendo, for stepping up and not letting Sony and Microsoft kill off gaming completely.

Lets not forget all those dirty causal PS3 owners who bought ther system to watch BR movies. Shocking isnt it, the though that some people buy a Wii to play tennis, who gives a shit.

Bong lover has priorities sorted, Bongs and Jesus FTW

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

depends which console would have offered the best games.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

kowenicki, perhaps, I am not in the media center market so I don't know much about the gaming features of either one of them. If it turns out that the 360 included classic gaming support before Nintendo released their virtual console, and with the same kind of support of titles I stand corrected. In that case, I'll have to fall back on the stronger position of the control issue and overall game philosophy.

Let me know if you want me to go into more detail, but I am assuming the internet at large would prefer brevity.