By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

BTW, you guys should be careful about telling people how to ad block in a browser... You're violating the agreement ioi made with Adsense (I know this because I run a few sites using Adsense).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Fine since FF and opera users can't agree on one thing. Opera and FF > IE. The point is to get the better browsers out to people.

your mother said:
Wiitendo said:
Alexie Di Onie said:
hate safari, i dislike the way it runs not the way it protects me.

Mozilla all the way.

QFT, I don't care what those Opera users say. IT HAS BEEN PROVEN THAT FIREFOX IS THE MOST EFFICANT!

Link...

Since Wiitendo never got around to citing it, here you go!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1990864,00.asp

Contrary to his belief, the *ONLY* test that firefox won vs. Opera was in memory usage with 0 tabs open. Although they did not test for all n up to 6, at least as soon as six tabs were open Opera was more efficient. It also had less than HALF the startup time that FF did.

On top of that, Opera passes ACID and includes several features that FF does not have.

Although, this article is somewhat old (FF2 is still in beta, Opera is only at 9.0), my understanding is that they are still pretty much the same. After all, optimization isn't fun work; why optimize firefox when you can do something fun? :-p

(Just so everyone knows, I run FF.  I heart open source and use it for pretty much everything i do... I just hate lies more than I am a fanatic)

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

FF on Windows seems to have memory issues and occasionally needs a complete process kill, but I still use it on my Windows box over IE. I havent used IE in a looong tiime (except maybe to run Windows update).

Of course on my Debian system it comes with Mozilla (IceWeasel). 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Yeah you can fix that easily.

Around the Network

Oh and you can update without using IE.

alpha_dk said:
your mother said:
Wiitendo said:
Alexie Di Onie said:
hate safari, i dislike the way it runs not the way it protects me.

Mozilla all the way.

QFT, I don't care what those Opera users say. IT HAS BEEN PROVEN THAT FIREFOX IS THE MOST EFFICANT!

Link...

Since Wiitendo never got around to citing it, here you go!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1990864,00.asp

Contrary to his belief, the *ONLY* test that firefox won vs. Opera was in memory usage with 0 tabs open. Although they did not test for all n up to 6, at least as soon as six tabs were open Opera was more efficient. It also had less than HALF the startup time that FF did.

On top of that, Opera passes ACID and includes several features that FF does not have.

Although, this article is somewhat old (FF2 is still in beta, Opera is only at 9.0), my understanding is that they are still pretty much the same. After all, optimization isn't fun work; why optimize firefox when you can do something fun? :-p

(Just so everyone knows, I run FF. I heart open source and use it for pretty much everything i do... I just hate lies more than I am a fanatic)

That's EXACTLY the same link I was thinking about, and it shows Opera overall is the fastest browser, but in reality it doesn't matter. IE isn't going anywhere soon, mainly because there are so many ASPs designed with IE only in mind, and thus will only work with IE. This includes banking, financial, government and services portals, not to mention specialized SaaS's (Software as a Service).

Hate to admit it, but due to the nature of my job I have to use IE all the time, and have to design applications that must work with IE - which in many cases means borking the application for other browsers.

But don't get upset at me - have a complaint about designing specifically for IE? Bring it up with my directors - I know I have many times...

without loads of extensions and plugins anythink is good, what I like most in FF is that I can make it behave the way I like...      Opera is good, but it isn't like FF...

for those who don't like FF download manager, test this: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ ...      or the "d4x" in linux... 

www.cuidar.com.br

Also, *ONLY* posting this because I love kicking dead horses:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070905-first-look-opera-9-5-alpha.html

A good quote:

"And Opera 9.x, let it be known, smacks silly the likes of Firefox and Internet Explorer, which tend to have results in the 900-1500ms range on this test machine (a 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM)." [Opera's was 281, for the record]

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Wiitendo said:
Steve 3.2 said:
FireFox will not cure cancer. It's a fine browser and I use it because I don't want to support Microsoft. But some of the claims in this thread are questionable.

Having used both (especially when using a friend's PC), both seem well suited for browsing the Internet. It's more of a matter of personal preference at this point.

Thats a little fanboish don't you think? I do agree the fact that microsoft has midiocre things that get high praise just because it's there.

Windows media player

IE

Oh, the IRONY!  It's just too much!