By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bruce on SSBB- why he was right and VGchartz was wrong (prepare to lol)

http://www.bruceongames.com/2009/01/27/super-smash-brosbrawl-and-the-fanboys/#comments

In February 2008 the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl (SSBB) on the Wii was being treated by some sectors of the game playing community as if it were the second coming. They were little short of hysterical about how this was the greatest thing ever and how it would dominate the market for the year.

Against this background I wrote an article on here putting SSBB into context. It is a truly excellent game (currently it is the fourth best Wii game on Metacritic with 93), which is something that gaming always needs. And though I said it would be massive I said that it would not be one of the biggest games of 2008, just like Super Mario Galaxy (metacritic 97) hadn’t been one of the biggest games the year before, and for the same reason. The Wii is mainly owned by very casual game players and SSBB is a game for serious game players. So there is a mismatch of the game against the owners of the platform it was on.

I went on to say that many gamers games on the HD consoles would do better than SSBB on the Wii and that casual games, such as Wii Fit, would do better than SSBB on the Wii. In fact I said that Wii Fit would still be in the charts long after SSBB was forgotten. All this was sensible analysis based on my knowledge of the market and experience.

The article set off an amazing tirade of abuse from the fanboys. The article received vast numbers of comments from them, most of which were personally rude and abusive towards me. Obviously I deleted them. But I left a lot of the non abusive comments for posterity just so people can see how misguided fanboys are. The ignorant abuse wasn’t limited to here, it was elsewhere on the interweb. Just look at this thread on VGChartz for example.

But now it is nearly a year later and we can look back at what actually happened in the market. I was right and the fanboys were wrong. In the UK all formats chart for the year SSBB only managed to come 36th. And like I said would happen it was beaten by lots of gamers games on the HD consoles. GTA IV at number 3, for instance. And the casual games on the Wii massively outperformed SSBB. Mario Kart at number 2 and Wii Fit at number 5 for the year, for example. And as I pointed out, these casual games keep selling for far longer, Wii Fit is currently the number one best selling game in the UK.

So the fanboys have egg all over their faces. Will they be contrite and apologise for their abuse? Will they revisit their thread on VGChartz to say how wrong they were? Hardly likely, is it?

The fact remains that the Wii is a brilliant toy and so the vast majority of its users are casual, but when it comes to serious gaming the Xbox 360 is by far the best console, with the PS3 also being significantly better. And you don’t have to take my word for it, just look at what the serious gamers on rllmuk forum are saying.

oh my days this is ridiculous

yes well done bruce you were right, wii fit sold more than SSBB. and you were alo right that many HD gamers game sold better. like GTAIV and...............

he bases his results on :

1. SSBB was 36th in the UK. when told that actually it was the fourth best selling game in the world he says that but its still only 36 where he comes from. and that most of those sales were from japan which doesnt count because not many of hsi readers live there

2. a thread in rllmuk forum agrees with him

to end on a lighter note he does say it is 'a truly an excellent game, something that gaming always needs' so its not all bad:)

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

He cherry picks data like he's making a cherry pie, with cherry topping, served with cherry ice cream.

Mr Khan is confused

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

best part, is that when you go to the vgchartz thread, the predictions amde were still too conservative, with many saying itll hopfully be in the top 10 for the year

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Well, at least he admits that his blog's readers know how much of a bloody idiot he is.

Brawl is only available on one platform, and it outsold both individual SKUs of GTA IV worldwide. I'd have liked to have seen his spin if Brawl was on two platforms.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

this guy always makes me laugh.
brawl did great. over 8mil so far? def one of last years biggest games.

Regarding his linked VG thread: How does 8 million not constitute "one of 2008's biggest games" Does he mean one of the biggest as in the top 1 category?

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

Ahh it's always funny to see a person get ripped apart by their own readers...

Former something....

Wompa, ¿are you really happy with this? one game exclusive for one system beat others multisystem, and only for a little doesn´t beat GTA4, and remember, SSBB still selling better than GTA4.

just don´t be happy, SSBB was just the fourth best game of the 2008, and nothing can change that, not even the idiotic score system of metacritic.

Bravo Bruce. You've done it again.

Better be thought a fool and remain quiet than open it and remove all doubt. Bruce is known for repeatedly opening said mouth and repeatedly removing any doubts.

The rEVOLution is not being televised