By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xenogears GREATEST RPG OF ALL TIME

Planescape torment ftw.

This thread is in the wrong section

Around the Network

No one here has ever Tried Xenosaga? In my opinion it as good as Xenogears, even better because there is 3 episodes(yes, 3 rpgs with 60 hours wich one) and a sequel.

Why are people talking about a PS game in the Microsoft section?

Zuhyc said:
Why are people talking about a PS game in the Microsoft section?

my bad

another reason i enjoy xenogears is because unlike other rpgs or games

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Fei and Elly actually have sex instead of some sappy a** kiss.

Around the Network

arguably that title belongs to Planescape: Torment

Xenogears had the potential to be the greatest RPG of all time, but it falls short in a few areas.

1) Difficulty curve. Challenging games are a good thing, but there is a difference between challenge and tedium, and its name is Calamity.
2) Budget. I'm not talking about "production values," the actual value of which I have always been skeptical about. What I'm talking about is the dev team's complete lack of pacing itself with respect to its budget. When you run out of money two-thirds of the way through the game, requiring you to reduce the second disc to an 8+-hour sequence of cutscenes with maybe two hours of gameplay in between, this is a Bad Thing.
3) Interactivity/cutscene balance. There is a reason that this was one of the last major games to not feature some kind of cutscene-skip functionality.

A remake which fixed these three problems, even if no other changes were made to the game at all, would have the potential to stand with anything put out since then. But as it stands these deep, deep flaws keep the game from deserving the 'greatest RPG of all time' title. They are simply that damaging.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

ookaze said:
Xenogears is one of the worst JRPG I ever played.
The only thing that was really good in this game was the story.
But as a game it was very bad. Also, it was the longest game I ever played.
The gameplay was very very bad.
This would have been an awesome anime series, but it's a very bad game.

Uhh....It's an RPG, the story is what makes and RPG not the gameplay. How can an RPG be awful if it has an amazing storyline but bad gameplay? It's like saying a bag of chips tastes like crap because the bag was wrinkled...

Millennium said:
Xenogears had the potential to be the greatest RPG of all time, but it falls short in a few areas.

1) Difficulty curve. Challenging games are a good thing, but there is a difference between challenge and tedium, and its name is Calamity.
2) Budget. I'm not talking about "production values," the actual value of which I have always been skeptical about. What I'm talking about is the dev team's complete lack of pacing itself with respect to its budget. When you run out of money two-thirds of the way through the game, requiring you to reduce the second disc to an 8+-hour sequence of cutscenes with maybe two hours of gameplay in between, this is a Bad Thing.
3) Interactivity/cutscene balance. There is a reason that this was one of the last major games to not feature some kind of cutscene-skip functionality.

A remake which fixed these three problems, even if no other changes were made to the game at all, would have the potential to stand with anything put out since then. But as it stands these deep, deep flaws keep the game from deserving the 'greatest RPG of all time' title. They are simply that damaging.

Again, I don't think people here understand that RPG's are played for their storylines and cutscenes...So a lot of each of those is a good thing, not a bad thing. Hence why I loved disc 2, but disliked disc 1.

drboot said:

Again, I don't think people here understand that RPG's are played for their storylines and cutscenes...So a lot of each of those is a good thing, not a bad thing. Hence why I loved disc 2, but disliked disc 1.

That´s the problem. RPG are supposed to be played. But 2nd disc isn´t played, it´s watched.