By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First Day sales in Japan - Mario and Luigi 3, Street Fighter IV

OUCH @ SFIV, especially the PS3 version...I was expecting over 100k first week...

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
OUCH @ SFIV, especially the PS3 version...I was expecting over 100k first week...

It's just first day sales so by the end of the week it should be close to 100K.

I still say that people expected to much of SF4 saleswise in Japan. If the PS3 version could reach 100k first week I think that would be nice. Nothing earthshattering but still ok. Sadly 2d fighting don´t sell that much anymore.

What do you guys think, will SF4 be a big seller in the west?
I think it will do better in the west than in Japan, what do you think?

Tenchu 4 - 10,000 (30%)

Ahhhh, the nice sound of being proven right, I knew that bet in the pred league was right, in fact, it was even too high, 'cause it won't do 20K, but I had to play it a bit safe. Still, this makes me happy

The 360 version seems to be doing somewhat better comparatively than the PS3 version of SF4 based on these numbers don´t you agree?

There is not that big a difference between 28 k and 58 k if you compare it with other PS3/360 titles in the past.

The PS3 userbase compared to 360 is 3:1 in Japan while this game did 2:1 in favor to Sony.

Around the Network
samus aran rules said:
I still say that people expected to much of SF4 saleswise in Japan. If the PS3 version could reach 100k first week I think that would be nice. Nothing earthshattering but still ok. Sadly 2d fighting don´t sell that much anymore.

What do you guys think, will SF4 be a big seller in the west?
I think it will do better in the west than in Japan, what do you think?

I agree completely. The western markets have a userbase of roughly 45 million compared to under 4 million in Japan for the HD consoles. And the second reason is that while arcade gaming has faded in the west, it is still popular in Japan and I suspect that a lot of people in Japan won't be making the purchase on a console because they have already played it a lot on the arcades.

Branko2166 said:
Kantor said:

It's just first day sales so by the end of the week it should be close to 100K.

I'm surprised that they only shipped 116k, though. They didn't have very high hopes for the game...

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

@Kantor

My thoughts exactly. I was hoping they would ship at least 200K for the PS3 version alone. Oh well. I guess these kind of games are far more popular on arcades in Japan which is understandable I guess.

If the Japanese wanted to play SF4, they'd just go to the arcades. Unlike the rest of us....

Hmm, I thought I read somewhere that SF4 was selling out.

Guess not.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.