By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles are this eras PCs

I've read the article now, and it confirms my original guess: an interesting hypothesis that the author makes only shallow attempts to support. And no, LBP is not explained beyond "it's made by a PC guy!"

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
JaggedSac said:
PC gaming isn't dying. Digital distribution sites like Big Fish will continue to increase the pc gaming userbase as has been going on in the past few years. If people think the Wii has the most casual players, think again. Online poker alone probably has a larger user base than all consoles combined. Then we have Bejeweled and Mahjong and such. No sir, the large pc gaming user base will be able to continue to support MMOs and $6 puzzlw games for a long time to come.

One can't say that browsers are exclusive to the PC. There are places such as India where mobile phones are becoming the computers of choice. You, yourself even browse vgchartz on your phone so im pretty sure you could pull off poker as well.

Furthermore with new TV technologies such as wireless HDMI you could browse the internet on a future cell-phone with just an LCD or better TV.

LOL.  You don't realize how shitty these MotoQs are.

But yeah, good points about the browser games.

Words Of Wisdom said:
shio said:

Oh boy I was right, you are one of those that think Zelda are adventure games! Dude, just go check the definition of the Adventure genre on Wikipedia or anywhere else. Those who think games like Zelda are adventure games are people who come strictly from the console side. Most people do know that Adventure games refer to Grim Fandango, Sam & Max, etc...

And see, you dislike MMORPGs out of ignorance. MMORPGs can have just as much story and meaningful gameplay as Single-player RPG. See Lord of the Rings Online, which has an amazing backstory and takes great use of the LOTR license. And EVE Online, great stories there and the game embodies the true potential of MMOs with meaningful mechanics that makes no player useless.

Oh I'm sorry.  I'm used to thinking of the Adventure genre is practically originating from games like The Legend of Zelda and King's Quest.  I'm sure you know better and are qualified to tell myself and the entire gaming industry that we're all wrong though.  Puh-leese.

Oh boy.  You are so wrong.  The adventure genre orginated from the genre's namesake, a game called Adventure. That Sierra series really started with a game called Wizard and the Princess (Adventure in Serenia).

The Legend of Zelda is a top-down, action RPG. It's a pretty well-defined sub-genre with plenty of games (God of Thunder, most ZZT/MegaZeux games). A more recent non-Zelda example might be something like Contact for the DS. Newer games in The Legend of Zelda series play from a third-person perspective, but they're still action RPGs.

Currently playing: Wii Fit / The Sims 3

Try  PrizeRebel , it could make you  rich ! I have  $15.80 USD  so far. I  love  BengaBenga' Most Wante lists.
$                     $  $  $                         

hahahahaNO. Action adventure, not action RPG.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

shio said:
JaggedSac said:
The definition of an adventure game on Wikipedia mos definitely does not exclude Zelda.

'game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story that is driven by exploration and puzzle solving instead of physical challenges such as combat'

That is pretty vague and could encompass lots and lots of games. You are using point and click type adventures as your point of reference. I would say exploration and puzzle solving in Zelda is emphasized equally and possibly more than combat.
No, don't even compare. An adventure game has a HUGE emphasis on puzzle/problem solving, and Zelda is nowhere near that. Adventure games also have almost no combat, which Zelda certainly have. The most noticable part is that Adventure games possess strong narratives and are very story-centric, which Zelda isn't.

Zelda is clearly from the action-adventure genre.

wtflol

Zelda has you fighting enemies while walking from puzzle to puzzle, or fighting enemies as PART of a puzzle.  How do you figure it doesn't have enough puzzles? 

Also, just because it's not text-heavy doesn't mean there's not a strong story.  You have played Zelda games right? 

Around the Network
learlFinal-Fan said:
shio said:
JaggedSac said:
The definition of an adventure game on Wikipedia mos definitely does not exclude Zelda.

'game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story that is driven by exploration and puzzle solving instead of physical challenges such as combat'

That is pretty vague and could encompass lots and lots of games. You are using point and click type adventures as your point of reference. I would say exploration and puzzle solving in Zelda is emphasized equally and possibly more than combat.
No, don't even compare. An adventure game has a HUGE emphasis on puzzle/problem solving, and Zelda is nowhere near that. Adventure games also have almost no combat, which Zelda certainly have. The most noticable part is that Adventure games possess strong narratives and are very story-centric, which Zelda isn't.

wtflol

Zelda has you fighting enemies while walking from puzzle to puzzle, or fighting enemies as PART of a puzzle.  How do you figure it doesn't have enough puzzles? 

Also, just because it's not text-heavy doesn't mean there's not a strong story.  You have played Zelda games right? 

You clearly don't know wtf you are talking about. Zelda games have nowhere near the amount of puzzles that adventure games have, and Zelda's puzzles are very shallow. Zelda are action-adventure because it does have a significant amount of reflex-based gameplay.

shio said:
learlFinal-Fan said:
shio said:
JaggedSac said:

wtflol

You clearly don't know wtf you are talking about. Zelda games have nowhere near the amount of puzzles that adventure games have, and Zelda's puzzles are very shallow. Zelda are action-adventure because it does have a significant amount of reflex-based gameplay.

First off:  "learlFinal-Fan said:"  What the heck is this??  How did that happen? 

Now:  I'll admit that the puzzles are diluted in Zelda to the extent that you have action-type enemies in between them, whereas in a pure adventure you walk straight from puzzle to puzzle.  But Zelda is still very puzzle-oriented.  If you're complaining about the DIFFICULTY level of the puzzles, then you are forfeiting the argument. 

And you did notice the post right above that where I agreed that it's action-adventure? 

P.S.  Have you ever completed a Zelda game? 

2 consoles might resemble PC's this gen.

Next gen, they'll resemble Wii's. High end gaming is coming home fellas

:)

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

I assume that many of us knew or suspected this. It's the primary dividing line in the sand in gaming right now. The drive of these epic, realistic, online-driven, complex games (or some combination of these) against that of the simple, colorful, offline-centered, and straightforward games. It's the fundamental clash between PC and Console ideology, and Console ideology is gaining the upper hand along with the Wii

If we want to talk about the division between the hardcore and the casuals, as they are called on the internet, it could be easy to replace those terms with PC gamer and console gamer, and you would have similar understandings established

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I started playing PCs in 1998.. my first PC was a PII 350mhz, 96mb ram, ATi card with a Voodoo 2 graphics card.  MY first game I played was microsofts Combat simulator, I was blown away by the graphics, speed, just everything PC now im a PC gamer.  At the time I was playing PS1, N64.

But I agree PC was the format to have in the 90s, early 00s.  But over the years the consoles have seemed to take over (I say seemed because I still belive more people use PCs for gaming).  I belive alot of PC gamers pirate a lot of games, so it seems that PC gaming is dieing.

People take retail sales as PC gaming is dead but dismiss digtal sales.  I still belive piracy is to blame for alot of PC woes.

PC gaming rules.....