By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles are this eras PCs

Wait, wait. Did shio seriously just say that consoles don't get adventure games?

The adventure genre was comatose before its revival on the DS and Wii.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
shio said:
Squilliam said:

Many console gamers don't like PC gaming currently because this gen's PC gaming is nothing more than overcomplicated console gaming, with dumbed-down controls, with much less great games and variety than consoles, and with none of consoles advantages such as system stability and simplicity. The fact that nearly all of the PC games are released on PS/360 makes them nearly obsolete for the average console gamer. Also, nowadays a $200 console can run games better than a $400 PC, so that's a big disadvantage for PC gaming.

FPS better on PCs?!?! Dude..... there are far better FPS games on consoles than the PC past and present combined, and the console versions are almost always better than the PC versions. This year won't be any different, with Resident Evil 5, Halo ODST, Bioshock 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare (among others) coming out exclusively or better for consoles. It's actually the PC gamers that are losing, because the old great PC game developers have long since started jumping ship to write games exclusively for the consoles.

lol, out of those 4 you mentioned, 1 isn't even FPS, and 2 of the FPS are coming to PC...

Well, I don't follow the FPS genre much so I can't pull half a dozen title names out of my butt and I was feeling lazy!

Why do these discussions always turn to sales when it isn't easy to quantify PC games sales or even categorise which genres are selling better than others?! Bah!

Tease.

richardhutnik said:

Any electronic device that supports programming, and is used a lot, will get games on it.  This goes for cell phones, and PCs.  It goes with the territory.  This being said, the reality is that the PC market is smaller, as a percentage, than the console gaming business.  This percentage is getting smaller over time, and the trend continues.  You are engaging in a severe case of rationalization to say it otherwise.  Now you question NPD and rationalize you are right.  If we were do a survey of 100 executives in the videogame industry and ask them who they would trust more for data to assist their decision making, NPD or shio from VGChartz, what percentage do you think would actually pick you?

In terms of revenue PC has always been smaller than the console market because PC gaming only started to be popular like 10 years after consoles were. But PC is growing fast, and I suspect it's actually gaining market share while consoles might be losing their share. While consoles are growing 20% yearly, PC's Online is increase is several times bigger than that (such as Steam growing 150%, China's Online 75%).

I wasn't questioning NPD, I was questioning YOU! NPD have said themselves that the Retail figures of PC sales do not represent what is happening to PC. They even estimated that there are more revenue from subscriptions alone than the retail's.

richardhutnik said:

1. Simulations.  Ok, PCs have this, simply because the general audience isn't into them.  How big is the simulation market?  And I am NOT going to put flight sims into this category, as the 360 and PS3 are set to get them.  A game like Hawx, for example.  And the PC loses Microsoft's Flight Simulator, pulling the plug on the studio.

Simulation genre is one of the smallest, but it's not that tiny, or else The Sims, and more recently Spore, wouldn't be able to sell dozens of millions. Haux is an action game, not simulation.

richardhutnik said:

2. Adventure games.  I am able to play Myst III on my 360.  I have others also.  As far as this genre goes, it has been been assimulated by the action genre, so now we get "Action-Adventure": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action-adventure_game

And consoles have these, IN SPADES.  Consoles specialize in this.  Considering that text adventures and graphic adventures aren't large today, big production titles (these are the norm on consoles) won't touch them.  They will, however, use them.  Like in Prince of Persia, you have a rotate the platform puzzle, straight out of adventure games.  Half-Life even had this on the PC.  So, it isn't just consoles that have consumed this genre, it is all of videogames.

The action-adventure genre has nothing to do about adventure games except for the fact that they borrow some characteristics from it. It wasn't the action-adventure genre that took away the popularity from adventure games, since action-adventure games were never popular on PC. It was the rise of shooters that did away the adventure genre.

richardhutnik said:

3. RPGs?  You want to count every garage game effort and multiplayer free web stuff?  If so, the Wii and PS3 can play these.  How do they sell on PCs?  I mean outside of what Blizzard does, which likely has about half of all PC game sales, and over 2/3 of the RPG market.  And want me to bring up JRPGs?

lol. There's only 5 RPGs this gen that reached 1 million on consoles. How many is there on PC? We don't know, because developers usually don't release figures, but I can tell you easily that there are atleast 7 PC RPG titles that also reached 1 million: The Witcher, Fallout 3, Wrath of the Lich King, Oblivion, The Burning Crusade, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan. And you're being given a discount due to no more sales being known to public.

I think it's quite obvious that RPG titles sell more on PC. And of course, a game like Warhammer Online will probably make more money than any console RPG in it's lifetime.

richardhutnik said:

4. Strategy.  Ahh, one of the last niches left for PCs to be relevant, and own.  These games tend to make a jump on the DS.  Good you don't go RTS which is pretty much Blizzard again and their -Craft titles.  Other ones don't do well.  Interface issues have saved the PC from having RTS defect to consoles.

Let's add Puzzle games here as another last bastion on PC games, although they are making an increasing jump onto consoles now.  Flash Games in the past end on the console in the future, or the DS.  This is a wash at this point.

Strategy games are niche?! dude, you really aren't a PC gamer.... if it was such a niche, then why are Starcraft 2, Dawn of War 2, Empire: Total War, Demigod, Company of Heroes: Tales of Valorr, Anno 1404, C&C3: Read Alert 3 - Uprising coming out this year?? Each of them should atleast reach 1 million sales. There's also Cities XL, Battleforge, DIsciples III, Grand Ages Rome, etc...

Puzzle games are puzzle games, and have been everywhere since the dawn of time. I wasn't even counting web-based/flash games.

richardhutnik said:

And this is about where we stop as far as it goes.  You are now at a place, when someone mentions any other genre of going, "BUT PCs have these to!"  In other words, VERY defensive.  Like, say Fighting games, and you will go, "But the PC is getting Street Fighter IV!"  And it is.  But that is about it.  No Tekken for you.  And don't get cute by hitting garage games, which then will make me get into Live Community games as a counterpoint.  That is a place I don't want to have to go.

So, let's look at other genres here:

1. Fighting games.  You get an occasional bone, as in Street Fighter IV.  Be thankful for that.

2. Action sports games.  How about football (American style)?  Let me know when this is coming out for the PC.  Want me to bring up Wii Sports and Wii games along the lines of these?  What is comparable on the PC?  Sports in general have all but abandoned the PC, at least high production value sports titles.

3. Arcade racers.  How many are due out new for 2009?  And I don't mean garage games either.

4. Gun games.  You know, where you use a gun accessory?

5. Mini-game/party game type games.  Games where you get a bunch of people together and play quick games.

1. We are also getting King of Fighters XII. Fighting games were never relevant on PC, but the fact that 2 of the biggest series are coming to PC in just a year should say something, no?

2. Sports games were never that popular on PC. Add the fact that like 90% of PC's fanbase is outside North-america should say something about American football games not being on PC. There are still high-production sports titles like EA Sports games, and even 2k started to release sports games on PC last year, and there's the popular FM and CM series.

3. PC pretty much gets all the multiplatform arcade racers from consoles. And what the hell is with this garage games thing?! If a game is good, does it matter how it was made? By the way, PC is getting an exclusive Need for Speed game this year, since EA has seen the true potential of PC.

4. Why use a slow gun, when you can use a much faster and accurate mouse at no additional costs?

5. Yes, never relevant on PC because PC has a strong online component with strong communities. Though the Guitar Hero games have been out on PC recently.

richardhutnik said:

Here you go, chew on the PC line up at Gamestop this coming year:

http://www.ebgames.com/browse/search.aspx?Ns=Sort_ETA|0&N=5+140&PerPage=50

And the 360 lineup:

http://www.ebgames.com/browse/search.aspx?Ns=Sort_ETA|0&N=5+133

And the Wii lineup:

http://www.ebgames.com/browse/search.aspx?Ns=Sort_ETA|0&N=5+138

Here, you should some of the PC games coming out this year:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=55527&page=1

Untamoi said:
@richardhutnik: I wouldn't say NPD's figures completely meaningless yet but they only count a small part of PC gaming anymore. Even NPD admits that most of the business is not made on retail anymore but they don't even estimate online revenue. NPD only counts retail revenue and that's it, even if online revenue would be several times bigger (which it already is). So even they admit that their figures are becoming worthless on PC side.

Well, one can look at sales as an indicator.  Most people end up buying games as gifts and in retail environments when they are doing holiday shopping.  A hobbyist/hardcore person shops for themselves.  This is not the bulk of sales, however.  Maybe the PC is getting more, but I would like to have anyone show that PC game sales equal sales of consoles for games.  What percentage of people do you think actually use Steam to buy games in general?  Or they order online for a download?

Ok, so if we are looking at say 300% larger (want to make it larger)?  That is still less than 3 billion total for PC game sales.  This is less than half that of the sales in the dedicated videogame arena.  One could also end up playing this game by saying, "NPD doesn't count games rented by people, or sold to video store chains", so one can get cute that way also.

Well, if one wants to measure things here, then how about looking at what KIND of games are available?  Is there anything in the way of NFL Football on PCs?  Oh, there is FANTASY league sports stuff.  Do people want to count that?

What I do see, and has held up historically, is that once a genre can effectively be done on a consoles, it slowly withdraws itself off PCs.  First it ends up going consoles and PC, then the top titles go console only.  This is the cycle.  It is why Madden has been withdrawn from PCs.

This block for quotes is annoying in that it is a pain to try to go between and put my comments, so I will put things on top.

On to your comments:

1. Intellectual property rights are so poor in China, you might as well count that market as almost entirely piracy.  Oh, Massive Multiplayer is something, but anything considered stand alone game purchases is nearly irrelevant.  The income of people in China can't afford too many purchases at all.

2. Sims, like NintenDogs, is a title that doesn't have its appeal because it is a sim.  Sims is a virtual version of a dollhouse.  Spore isn't a sim either.  It is a cross-genre title that has multiple other genres in it, including RTS, and arcade games.  It also has a space exploration title in there to.

3. Among your RPG titles, of the seven you listed, most have to do with subscription-based massive, multiplayer online titles.  Of these, it is mostly World of Warcraft that matters.  Of the stand-alone RPGs, you mentioned THREE that are on the PC.  Because massive multiplayer hasn't been effectively translated over to consoles yet, they stay on PCs. 

4. Strategy is a genre (I used niche).  A niche can be large or it can be small.  RTS is a niche in the genre of strategy, which hasn't been able to be effectively translated to consoles, so they stay on PCs.  You have console strategy games like Advance War, for example, and the DS seems to get more.  It is just that the genre hasn't successfully made the jump, it doesn't go to consoles.  The whole joypad experience is weaker on consoles.  Doesn't mean they don't try.  The last Civ game (not Civ 4: Colonization) was done on consoles, as an attempt to appeal to console players.  So, this is one GENRE that hasn't been translated to consoles yet.  Apparently Electronic Arts don't think console buyers want to play strategy games, because they took the Risk-like game out of Kane's Wrath.  I believe Civ Revolution had outsold Kain's Wrath.

5. Getting a port of a 2D fighting game doesn't say much.  Getting SF4 is bigger news, but that is it.  There is no licensing fees, and companies will dabble with this.  But you don't get much of anything.

6. Saying Sports games were never popular on PCs is either a cheap copout or why you aren't getting much of them.  I spoke here of action arcade title more than hardcore sims.

7. On the arcade racer titles, really? Go ahead among your list and list them.  I did read your thread.  And the titles that the PC is heavy in are genres that haven't made successful translation to consoles.  Arcade racers is one of these genres that has been done over on consoles, and is less on PCs.

8. Garage games are indie developer stuff (comes from the expression "working out of your garage", which refers to a tiny start up with a few people starting out).  They are like the XBox Live Community games.  Anyone can produce anything in there.  Yes, indie developers will do games of about all genres.

Flat out, the reality is, once a genre jumps to consoles, it leaves the PC, particularly when sales end up greater on consoles.  This doesn't mean that PC gaming will disappear.  It is an entry point for all development studios to create a track record for themselves.  There is no barriers to entry at all.  The marketing machine for console games is also higher than PCs, so you get console-only exclusives, which end up making people buy and play on consoles.  Also console gaming is far less of a headache, and easier for people to get into.  There are no viruses, defragging of harddrives, making sure you have the latest drivers, and so on... This is why console gaming is growing at a faster rate than PC gaming.  And, unless you can come up with some REAL sales numbers (like consoles have), you have nothing you can argue with on real numbers on why PC gaming is as competitive in the marketplace, or superior gaming experience for most people.  Oh, you can discuss frame rate and so on as supposedly superior.  But, take a simple example as bowling.  In the electronic format, would most people rather try to bowl over a PC, or do Wii bowling?

Ok, onto your thread below.

shio said:

In terms of revenue PC has always been smaller than the console market because PC gaming only started to be popular like 10 years after consoles were. But PC is growing fast, and I suspect it's actually gaining market share while consoles might be losing their share. While consoles are growing 20% yearly, PC's Online is increase is several times bigger than that (such as Steam growing 150%, China's Online 75%).

I wasn't questioning NPD, I was questioning YOU! NPD have said themselves that the Retail figures of PC sales do not represent what is happening to PC. They even estimated that there are more revenue from subscriptions alone than the retail's.

Simulation genre is one of the smallest, but it's not that tiny, or else The Sims, and more recently Spore, wouldn't be able to sell dozens of millions. Haux is an action game, not simulation.

The action-adventure genre has nothing to do about adventure games except for the fact that they borrow some characteristics from it. It wasn't the action-adventure genre that took away the popularity from adventure games, since action-adventure games were never popular on PC. It was the rise of shooters that did away the adventure genre.

of all PC game sales, and over 2/3 of the RPG market.  And want me to bring up JRPGs?

lol. There's only 5 RPGs this gen that reached 1 million on consoles. How many is there on PC? We don't know, because developers usually don't release figures, but I can tell you easily that there are atleast 7 PC RPG titles that also reached 1 million: The Witcher, Fallout 3, Wrath of the Lich King, Oblivion, The Burning Crusade, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan. And you're being given a discount due to no more sales being known to public.

I think it's quite obvious that RPG titles sell more on PC. And of course, a game like Warhammer Online will probably make more money than any console RPG in it's lifetime.

Strategy games are niche?! dude, you really aren't a PC gamer.... if it was such a niche, then why are Starcraft 2, Dawn of War 2, Empire: Total War, Demigod, Company of Heroes: Tales of Valorr, Anno 1404, C&C3: Read Alert 3 - Uprising coming out this year?? Each of them should atleast reach 1 million sales. There's also Cities XL, Battleforge, DIsciples III, Grand Ages Rome, etc...

1. We are also getting King of Fighters XII. Fighting games were never relevant on PC, but the fact that 2 of the biggest series are coming to PC in just a year should say something, no?

2. Sports games were never that popular on PC. Add the fact that like 90% of PC's fanbase is outside North-america should say something about American football games not being on PC. There are still high-production sports titles like EA Sports games, and even 2k started to release sports games on PC last year, and there's the popular FM and CM series.

3. PC pretty much gets all the multiplatform arcade racers from consoles. And what the hell is with this garage games thing?! If a game is good, does it matter how it was made? By the way, PC is getting an exclusive Need for Speed game this year, since EA has seen the true potential of PC.

4. Why use a slow gun, when you can use a much faster and accurate mouse at no additional costs?

5. Yes, never relevant on PC because PC has a strong online component with strong communities. Though the Guitar Hero games have been out on PC recently.

Here, you should some of the PC games coming out this year:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=55527&page=1

Around the Network

@richardhutnik: your last post is a mess.

1- You're still focusing on the traditional business revenue... probably 95% games revenue in Chine is from subscriptions/microtransactions, which suports PC greatly. And in a couple of years the chinese gaming market will be bigger than the japanese.

2- The Sims is still a simulation game.

3- Again, subscriptions or not, they're always RPG games and it shows PC is the RPG platform of choice. Also, like I said before, there are several PC RPGs that have not given any figures about their sales, and they could've very well surpassed 1 million in sales... I'm talking about games like Sacred 2, Mass Effect, Lord of the Rings Online, Mount & Blade, EQ2: Rise of Kunark, etc...

4- Strategy is NOT niche. It is one of the 3 big genres on PC, and that means alot. Would a niche genre be able to sell several million sellers every year on a single platform? This year it's even more noticeable, with atleast 7 Strategy PC games expected to reach 1 million.
Civ 4: Colonization has nothing to do with Civ Revolution, it wasn't ported to consoles. I don't know if Civ Rev outsold Kane's Wrath or not, because we don't have figures of C&C3's expansion.

5- We get the superior version of SF4. That isn't nothing.

6- Sports games were never that popular on PC as on Consoles. That is all needed to say.

7- Most arcade racer titles come to PC, check it yourself. We also get a few PC gems like trackmania and Trials 2.

8- Does it matter if it's indie or not? If a game is great then it's great, simple as that.
Would you ignore Sins of a Solar Empire because it was only made by 4 guys?
Would you ignore Audiosurf?
Would you ignore World of Goo?
Would you ignore....
Seriously, that is the most stupid argument I've come across recently.

PC doesn't have the good fortune of having many people track their revenue like consoles do, but we know this:

$10.7 Billions revenue in PC games in 2007 - only 30% from Retail
Over 260 millions online PC gamers by end of 2007, with an estimated 320 millions by 2012.
Steam grew 150% in 2007.
China's Online Gaming Revenue grew 76.6% in 2008.

There must be a reason why all the small developers are abandoning the console market, and that is because the console market is becoming less and less a fertile land for the small ones.

shio, do you honestly think that adventure games are still underrepresented on console as opposed to PC?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Squilliam said:
shio said:
Squilliam said:

Many console gamers don't like PC gaming currently because this gen's PC gaming is nothing more than overcomplicated console gaming, with dumbed-down controls, with much less great games and variety than consoles, and with none of consoles advantages such as system stability and simplicity. The fact that nearly all of the PC games are released on PS/360 makes them nearly obsolete for the average console gamer. Also, nowadays a $200 console can run games better than a $400 PC, so that's a big disadvantage for PC gaming.

FPS better on PCs?!?! Dude..... there are far better FPS games on consoles than the PC past and present combined, and the console versions are almost always better than the PC versions. This year won't be any different, with Resident Evil 5, Halo ODST, Bioshock 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare (among others) coming out exclusively or better for consoles. It's actually the PC gamers that are losing, because the old great PC game developers have long since started jumping ship to write games exclusively for the consoles.

lol, out of those 4 you mentioned, 1 isn't even FPS, and 2 of the FPS are coming to PC...

Well, I don't follow the FPS genre much so I can't pull half a dozen title names out of my butt and I was feeling lazy!

Why do these discussions always turn to sales when it isn't easy to quantify PC games sales or even categorise which genres are selling better than others?! Bah!

Oh please, Outside of Left4Dead and TF2 I have not seen ONE good FPS come out since this gen began. If anythign the consoles completely destroyed the quality of games. It made games more accessible and compeltely ruined the quality of many genres.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

A few comments here:
1. On consoles, classic adventure games (Infocom, Sierra, LucasArts, Myst) are underrepresented. They don't sell well, so they aren't there. Consoles could do them easy, but they don't sell.
2. Strategy games are a top genre on PCs, and one of the few that hasn't translated over to the console much (well, the DS gets some). HOWEVER, as part of the entire electronic entertainment business, it isn't a top niche.
3. On Indie games... Indie games aren't a measure of their development team, but who publishes them. If it isn't published by the likes of Stardock but self-published on some site, it is an Indie game. The problem with Indie developers is that normal people don't know the games exist.
4. $10.7 Billion for PC, vs do you know what for consoles in 2008?
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56786

Try over $21 billion.
5. Ok folks, who wants to huddle around their PCs to play Street Fighter 4 with their friends?

Dude, your act is getting VERY old. You come on a site dedicated to videogames and talk all sorts of smack, that is weak sauce. I am glad you like PC gaming, and you are able to drop 2 grand on a rig and keep updating it every 6-12 months, and keep defragging your harddrive, updating your BIOS, avoiding viruses, and getting games to load without patches. It is nice to know you don't view yourself is a dirty peon of a console gamer, but a shiny party of the Ubergod class of PC gamers. You deserve a large round of golf claps for your superiority to everyone here.

As for other people, I would rather just play games without the headaches, and outside of strategy titles, find console gaming does enough for me. And yes, I do give you the strategy title game. I actually have the title Sins of Solar Empire demo zipped on my desktop, but haven't gotten around to installing it to see how well it would work. I could also fire up Galactic Civilizations II, or even Political Machine 2008 (picked it up, but never got to it). Yes, I am HUGE fan of Stardock. I also wish I could get Beyond the Sword to work, so I could try it with Civ 4. Oh, I could always fire up Zillions and play some abstract strategy games to.

You see, something happened along the way. I got tired of needing to keep doing updates, and watching the PC game selection get smaller and smaller at EB/Gamestop. I also got tired of having the whole hope it works dice rolling with games on my PC, and not being able to return games that didn't work on my PC for whatever reason. I got tired of the whole need to update, just so I can run Mad Onion better. And so on. The reality is, I have other things to do besides being part of this nerdy Uberclass you claim to be part of. It is one who thinks every single genre on the planet is available for it, and is ALWAYS superior (I guess GTA 4 is a brilliant gem on your PC, isn't it)?

But hey, you have Crysis. That is all that really matters anyhow.

"1. On consoles, classic adventure games (Infocom, Sierra, LucasArts, Myst) are underrepresented. They don't sell well, so they aren't there. Consoles could do them easy, but they don't sell."

I have to disagree here, unless the PC is getting way more adventure games nowadays than I think it is then the DS actually is very competitive, what with games like Hotel Dusk and all the Ace Attorney games (at least I understand that they are adventure games, I haven't played any).