By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tom Chick frags Killzone 2 (says it isn't worth playing)

Even though i havent layed the game, his criticisms sound valid to me

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
MrMeToo said:
obviously he is retarded lol did he just call Gears of War "laughably bad"

well in that case I will definitely purchase Kill zone 2 cause its only slightly worse than the laughably bad Geow2

He said the story was laughably bad.

Which it is.

Horde mode is fun as hell though.

Overall he just seems to not like Killzone 2 because it doesn't do anything new... doesn't reinvent the wheel, and while awesome... it's just... the same thing.

I think that's a fair opinion... a lot of people who are getting tired of FPS are still going to be tired of Killzone.

I mean FPS really haven't evolved much since the Doom days.   I mean what have been the biggest editions to the genre?

Limiting the amount of guns you can have, Cover System.... and that's all i got.  Co-op maybe?

I'd say Bots... but nobody freaking uses bots.

I've actually known Tom Chick for a long long time, over 5+ years now that I thinking about it. I agree with a lot of his opinions, disagree with another fair share. Can't really say what this one is, but it's definitely not something I'd take with jsut a grain of salt.

@Kasz
Cover System = Crouch button in 1st person, except that they throw in chest-high walls all over the place so you can actually use it. It's really nothing new AT ALL. It's been around since Quake

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Kasz216 said:
MrMeToo said:
obviously he is retarded lol did he just call Gears of War "laughably bad"

well in that case I will definitely purchase Kill zone 2 cause its only slightly worse than the laughably bad Geow2

He said the story was laughably bad.

Which it is.

Horde mode is fun as hell though.

Overall he just seems to not like Killzone 2 because it doesn't do anything new... doesn't reinvent the wheel, and while awesome... it's just... the same thing.

I think that's a fair opinion... a lot of people who are getting tired of FPS are still going to be tired of Killzone.

I mean FPS really haven't evolved much since the Doom days.   I mean what have been the biggest editions to the genre?

Limiting the amount of guns you can have, Cover System.... and that's all i got.  Co-op maybe?

I'd say Bots... but nobody freaking uses bots.

I didn't think the story was "laughably bad".  It wasn't great for a movie, but pretty good for the game.  I thought it fleshed out the world fine, and the plot twisted towards the end was pretty cool.  There are still loose ends it needs to tie up with the third installment.  I also had fune with Gears 2.

In regards to Bots.  I use bots.  I like Bots.  I don't like to play online against other people, as I like to adjust my setting and win when I choose to.  I think Tom commented that bots without ability to play them and level up your character makes bots not that great an option.

vlad321 said:
I've actually known Tom Chick for a long long time, over 5+ years now that I thinking about it. I agree with a lot of his opinions, disagree with another fair share. Can't really say what this one is, but it's definitely not something I'd take with jsut a grain of salt.

@Kasz
Cover System = Crouch button in 1st person, except that they throw in chest-high walls all over the place so you can actually use it. It's really nothing new AT ALL. It's been around since Quake

Penny Arcade noticed Tom Chick's review also and brought it up.

Oh yes, the "Chest High walls" comment reminds me of Zero Punctuation's review of the game, which had myself chuckling then, and did just now.

All hail Chest High Walls, that make cover systems work!

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Sorry but it really gets tiresome that every single review that doesn't say the sun shines out of Killzone 2's ass get slated and branded as having no credibility.

A bunch of these reviewers come next time they review an exclusive game if they give it a good review you say how great it is.

Please stop and think about who really has no credibility. Or just look in the mirror.

It has nothing to do with a single review saying the sun doesn't shine out of Kill Zone 2's ass.     It has everything to do with this guy saying that Kill Zone 2 "Isn't worth playing"  when 98% of the other opinions out there completely contrast with that.  Especially,  when you look at this guy's track record for reviewing games. 

Apparently,   Having a poor plot for a First Person Shooter (What first person has a 'good' plot by the way?),  Being shorter than you want and not having variety in level design means that a game is absolutely unplayable.   The guy has no credibility and the only person that is tooth and nail defending the guy with this is the OP.

Kantor said:
Did anybody else notice he didn't mention the gameplay, other than that bit about the Sixaxis, which all the reviewers love?
That's right, gameplay. You know, the most important part of a game...

Apparently every other cult classic shooters has a wonderful plot with a Hollywood cast of voice actors and is only playable, if that's the case.

personaly i agree with him

there is no clever twist in the game its just an
average looking (gameplay, level design, art direction) with very pretty graphics

Maynard_Tool said:
Damn, so many people are angry just because someone thinks Kz2 is not a good game??? seriously, some people take this waaay too serious.

As long as the game keeps getting 10's everyone is happy... it get's a different opinion... oh boy, watch out :O Ridiculous

not at all. he doesnt like the game because of the story mostly. there goes some credibility down the drain right off the bat. then the op makes it seem like this guy is a big voice in the industry but no one has any clue who he is. so the op kinda hurt his image. then his opinion is greatly outnumbered by different ones. which makes you think how qualified this guy actually is especially when you take into consideration how much he dwells on on a fps story and compares it to a aaa game. please follow along and dont put words in our mouths to make us seem so petty

Rpruett said:
KylieDog said:
Please stop and think about who really has no credibility. Or just look in the mirror.

It has nothing to do with a single review saying the sun doesn't shine out of Kill Zone 2's ass.     It has everything to do with this guy saying that Kill Zone 2 "Isn't worth playing"  when 98% of the other opinions out there completely contrast with that.  Especially,  when you look at this guy's track record for reviewing games. 

Apparently,   Having a poor plot for a First Person Shooter (What first person has a 'good' plot by the way?),  Being shorter than you want and not having variety in level design means that a game is absolutely unplayable.   The guy has no credibility and the only person that is tooth and nail defending the guy with this is the OP.

I would suggest you reread this thread.  I am not defending him Tooth and Nail.  And I am not the only one who has attempted to defend here. 

Note this comment (on this same page), by The_God_Of_War: I trust Tom Chick over the 40+ AAA reviews.

Well, I guess if the PS3 needs Killzone 2 THAT badly, then one has to feel that no one should comment on the level design being uniform, the plot being weak (not saying it is), or is short.  It is possible some people won't like Killzone 2, as Tom Chick pointed out.

I am going to comment here in closing, by saying, if Tom Chick has NO credibility, I am curious who does.  One can say he may not have a lot of credibility, but none?  Is one supposed to look to the likes of the former Crazzyman as a source of truth?