By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tom Chick frags Killzone 2 (says it isn't worth playing)

LoL Tom Chick!

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Around the Network

Actually, what is much more interesting then this silly artical is the poster. Yet another sad, envious 360 fanboy trying to bring Kz2 down... boring!

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Rpruett said:
mibuokami said:
richardhutnik said:
Godot said:
Smashed said:
Who the hell's Tom Chick?

I hope you guys realize that this guy has actually more credibility than the usual gaming journalist as he can actually say what he thinks without the fear of being fired(like that guy at gamespot). However, it's not because he didn't enjoy the game that you shoud care.

Tom Chick has more credibility than most people who write over the Internet, and he has been doing this review business a LONG time.  What you see with him is something he wrote.  People should read the entire thing, and then base their own decisions on it.  What I made out that Tom said:

1. Your main character is too short.

2. The graphic engine is AWESOME, but the art direction is bland and too samey.

3. The script SUCKS, as does the plot.  It is considered worse than Gears of War 2.

Maybe I missed something.  People should take things he wrote as an opinion, and move on.  He has just one opinion.  If you liked the demo and want to get the game, then get the game.  Who cases what he says.  Who cares if you are one of a few people who like the game.  It is what you like.  (Resist urge to make a Miner Dig Deep comment to make a point here.  Err, can't.  I like Miner Dig Deep.  Doesn't matter if the game gets bad reviews, I like it).

So from the review we've learnt that a First Person Shooter had a shitty storyline and some weird height issue... Because of those two issues and the fact that it brought nothing new to the genre its not worth buying...

Wow, thats just wow, its fair to have your opinion, but this is really picking at bones... he didn't even anaylze the two most important factors to any online FPS: gameplay and multiplayer.

Which is why he has no credibility.  Especially after claiming Far Cry 2 (Of all games) should be game of the year.   This is the type of review to get hits on his site and stir up drama.  Period.   Someone who throws chum in the water and likes to watch people feast on it,  is not credible in any way IMHO.

Actually I feel it is more likely that his acting background is showing through, he feels like a critic who writes for the intellectual elite (ie other critics) and not to the general public. Film critics invariably suffers from this but game reviews have traditionally understood the line between artism and audience preference.

mibuokami said:

Actually I feel it is more likely that his acting background is showing through, he feels like a critic who writes for the intellectual elite (ie other critics) and not to the general public. Film critics invariably suffers from this but game reviews have traditionally understood the line between artism and audience preference.

That is a definite possibility with Chick.  He has been around so long, and played so many games, that you get overly picky and anything more derivative is going to get dinged.  If your aim is 5 feet off the ground, or whatever, you get complaints.  The writing level is reviewed, and everything else but having fun counts.

What I see in KZ2 is a very promising exclusive FPS for the PS3.  It is set to be enjoyed by most FPS fans, unless there is some last second surprise, which Tom Chick didn't seem to reveal, or anyone else, outside of these complaints about the controls.

HanzoTheRazor said:
Actually, what is much more interesting then this silly artical is the poster. Yet another sad, envious 360 fanboy trying to bring Kz2 down... boring!

Poster, as in original poster?  If so, dude, you seriously need to get over yourself, and the opinions of other regarding Killzone 2.  Killzone 2 will exist and have sales independent of what myself, or people on here think.  If you fully read what I wrote, you will see what I said about the game. 

Concerns that I, or anyone else, is "bringing Killzone 2 down" is that you are making Killzone 2 out to be more than a videogame meant to entertain.  And that is part of the problem with this whole Killzone 2 buzz.  It is being used to pump up the PS3, or a thing to attack to take down the PS3, because a potentially reall good to great exclusive FPS not playable on the 360 or Wii.  It is a battleline for significance.

When discussed as just a piece of entertainment, pro or con, then I can post counter opinions and it doesn't matter.  But if your identity is shaken by something bad, then you have issues.

Want to know something?  After seeing the demo, and the documentary with the designers, Killzone 2 is on my watch list and to look to eventually pick up at this point.  So, on that note, I guess you refer to another poster, because it is not me.

Around the Network

Well, Based on the Demo it is well worth playing. I have played the demo a number of times, each leaving me wanting more.

darendt said:
Well, Based on the Demo it is well worth playing. I have played the demo a number of times, each leaving me wanting more.

People have complained about the controls, and the textures not being where they are supposed to be.  But what I saw in a video of the demo being played is excellent background noise (very atmospheric) and the ability to make out backgrounds better, and not a dust storm and smoke all the time, so it looked cleaner and with more color.  I was impressed by it.  I am job hunting now so I am on a severely restricted budget, so I will need to hold off.  This is about the only thing that stops me now.  That, and I am letting someone borrow my PS3.