By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Differences between the Star Ocean 4 versions

Western menu and HUD looks better, only thing I´d miss from the japanese version are the character portraits when they talk. Oh, and I love JRPGs the most. The lack of Japanese voices doesn´t bother me as a fan, it would have been good to hone my japanese, otherwise the english voices are good and bearable. Only for Tales are japanese voices a must, since the english ones are always awfully bad.

Around the Network

I like the western layout a bit more, not a big fan on anime, however Japanese voices would be awesome. I always prefer the Japanese VAs compared to English ones >

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

selnor said:
The menus look better for US, but the anime pics in battles look better in Jap version. Can we not mix the 2?

I agree, but in the end I don't care.

I think both styles are cool and I'll have my fun with it.

Blacksaber said:
I'm not going to ask why they change it the people who are getting this game are very likely also into anime why change it?

Because this is a 360 game: a game on a platform where the Star Ocean series has never appeared. Its highly-Westernized audience is far less likely to be into anime than fans on other platforms, and S-E needs to account for that. Besides, anime just doesn't provide the same rush of aggression hormones that 360 fans crave; for that, you need to go as far into generic photorealism as you possibly can so that it "feels more real" to those who have let their self-immersion abilities atrophy (since, after all, imagination is what kiddies do).

It makes perfect sense, really.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Westernized?

I swear to God, if this starts becoming a fuckin' trend I'm gonna go mad. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO MY JRPG's?

Imagine Tales of... like that... maybe do CGI instead of Anime too?

Bleh. Bleh. Bleh.

Around the Network
Hawk said:
pbroy said:
peshkavus said:
I like the US version /shrug

So will most Americans, but still.... DAMN!!!

I WAY like the US version better.  Look at those horrid Japanese menus.  I feel for them.  And the anime portraits, yeck.  Bitch slap them?  why?  I'd like to hug them for making the US version so much more appealing to me.

Meh. Taking away the Tales feeling from it takes away its JRPG nature for me. But I guess it does show that this will help in the West after all....well played Sqeenix.

But I'm still gonna send some nasty threats your way if its not changable.... 

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Xen said:
Westernized?

I swear to God, if this starts becoming a fuckin' trend I'm gonna go mad. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO MY JRPG's?

Bleh. Bleh. Bleh.

Look what happened with tales of hearts non anime version >_>

Former something....

Game looks friggin awesome. Can't wait.

'gaming till I'm gone'

If this is the thing that all of you are most worried about in your games, you are all incredibly lucky.

Cripes.

Blacksaber said:
Xen said:
Westernized?

Bleh. Bleh. Bleh.

Look what happened with tales of hearts non anime version >_>

Yes, I know of it, and that's why I mentined CGI instead of Anime, heh.