By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Differences between the Star Ocean 4 versions

Shadowblind said:
FinalEvangelion said:
Khuutra said:
Do you think you could possibly come into a topic about localization of Japanese games without trying to pigeonhole Western gamers as shooter fanatics? Maybe? Please? Didn't we already have the discussion where it's revealed that the West consumes far more JRPGs than Japan does?

It's not so much about West being shooter fanatics.  It's more about some people feeling their masulinity challenged in the West when Japan-West cultural clashes occur.  A cultural clash occurs also in Japan when they can't relate to characters like Master Chief and Marcus Phoenix.

I'm fairly certain that has only happened to Vesperia, not western-eastern culture clashes(?). Why would you even say that? If westerners felt challenged by eastern games, LO wouldn't be near topping 1 mil, NG2 would have sold very crappily, and Resident Evil 5 will flop miserably. All have lots of Eastern in them, with the exception of Resident 5.

No, I didn't say Eastern games - just certain styles.  Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria Chronicles were both to many jRPG fans, top of the genre titles.  Unfortunately, our review system didn't acknowledge that, but that's a different topic all together.  In general, Western gamers have a prejudice toward certain styles (animated styles like VC and ToV).  Japanese gamers, generally, have a prejeduce toward Western-developed games.  Of course, I think the latter is worse.

Tri-ace most likely saw the sales of LO and then saw the sales of VC/ToV outside of Japan.  They learned a few things.  The two cultures have a different view on animation as well.  In EU/America, companies like Disney pigeonholed the animation genre as being "for children."  Japan had a different cultural development around the same genre.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

My point stands that this is not a stylistic change.

Khuutra said:

How is this not a stylistic change based upon the stereotypical preferences of Japan and USA.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Khuutra said:

How is this not a stylistic change based upon the stereotypical preferences of Japan and USA.

The in-game models already look like that. All they did was get rid of a secondary visual style. They made the game more consistent in terms of appearance, but this game's appearance is still very distinctly Japanese.

the jap version looks too fruity. Anime characters are nice, but the 3d versions look way better.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Around the Network

They could have easily just implemented an option for both. Start the JP version in anime style. Start the EU/NA version in CG style. I'll still enjoy this game anyway.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:
They could have easily just implemented an option for both. Start the JP version in anime style. Start the EU/NA version in CG style. I'll still enjoy this game anyway.

You aren't even asking for a style which is distinctly Japanese (the game has that anyway), you are asking for the option to play a version wherein the visual style of the menu is incongruous with that which exists in the rest of the game! I thought we left that behind in the SNES days.

i love the american version

thanks squeenix for throwing that in

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

i hate both of them. the menus are too fancy i think they need to simplify them a little. they hurt my eyes

I like the US version. I can understand why they're doing this, the best selling JRPGs have had no anime stuff in them. TOV and Valkyria Chronicles haven't fared as well as TLR and IU, despite being better games.