By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone- bad guys have more appeal!?!

Hallo,

I think it is really obvious where the main inspiration for the bad guys in the world/ galaxy of KZ comes from. Every time I see a pic of an Helgast it reminds me of soldiers of the Wehrmacht. Now, I want to know do you feel the same and why are there so much Avatars on VGChartz (and everywhere else) with Helgast-theme, but there is not one Avatar with a pic of the good guys?

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value..."

Alan Greenspan, 1967

Around the Network

They way in which the game portrays the Helghast is a lot different than the backstory on Killzone.com. The website makes it seem as though they got screwed over.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

@ dbot:
Your avatar looks like a future version of a SS Sturmbannführer. lol

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value..."

Alan Greenspan, 1967

When the game designers created the Killzone universe, they looked at their planet and it's history for inspiration.

Germany felt as though it was under constant attack from the West before WWII, and they deeply resented the Treaty of Versailles. The way that Germany felt could be mirrored by the Helghast and there resentment toward other human colonies due to the way that they were being treated.

Germany got hit hard by the economic depression, it was also destyoed by WWI, other events such as the invasion of the Ruhr, hyperinflation, political uprisings from across the spectrum, the country was falling apart, and living standards were dropping fast. Helghan isn't exactly the nicest planet in the galaxy to live in.

Visari shows many parallels to Hitler in the way he gives speeches, his aims, and his way of leading. The speechs at the start of Killzone and Killzone 2 shows that the used similar styles of propaganda to Hitler.

The way the Helghast army present themselves is also incredibly similar to the way the German army did so. The German army often wore superlative uniforms and was overly-cautious about presentation and showing order.

So, yeah, I pretty much agree with your conclusion about the inspirations for Killzone.

Why, then does everybody have Helghast avatars and signatures? Well, because they look so damned awesome, is why.

Hlghasts look cool

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:

...it was also destyoed by WWI...

Wrong! Germany was destroyed after WW II, but not after the first.

Thx for the rest of your answer.

Alan Greenspan, 1967

Phobos said:
SamuelRSmith said:

...it was also destyoed by WWI...

Wrong! Germany was destroyed after WW II, but not after the first.

Thx for the rest of your answer.

I meant politically, socially, and economically, not to mention the severe territorial loss and reparations that bankrupted the country.

I very much think that the Treaty of Versailles was one of the main causes of WWII.

Obviously nazis were cool?...

Probably because the Helghast are much more recognisable and the "good guys" all look like generic space marines without the uber aura of master chief. The in both gears and badass marcus fenix or without the magnificence of Gordon Freeman.

If Sev was in the playable character in the other 2 killzone games (and if they were any good) then we'd probably see everyone have ISA avatars.

It's like how a likeable but derivative character like Nathan Drake (he doesn't have any stand out points visually and his personality isn't original for a action adventure ANYTHING) is what people will have as their avatars on the eve of Uncharted 2's launch because he's the only really recognisable character in that series (except perhaps sully, who's awesome) because everyone else looks so damn generic in that game.

Also, the Helghast character models look way better than the ISA (imo and rehashing the generic space marine thing).

off topic:
@SamuelRSmith:

OK, I understand, I would agree with this, also with your comment on the Dictation of Versailler. No it was not a treaty, because the german representatives were forced to say "Yes, we agree" by the allies or british battleships would continue the food-blockade.But thats something you can't read in a (at least german) schoolbook- always the winner writes the history.

on topic:
@Carl2291
That would be very pollitical incorrect, wouldn't it? That would mean a lot of gamers would like to play as Helgast and not as the actual protagonist?

Alan Greenspan, 1967