By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - After reading the Mass Effect release ...

Mass Effect was written as a Trilogy from the very beginning. I can't imagine Microsoft being so stupid as to leave ME2 and ME3 completely off the table when negotiating exclusivity on ME1. Perhaps MS is that stupid, but I'd be willing to bet there was an "option" on that contract that still stands.

Unless EA and MS come to some terms on that "option" -- whatever it was/is, it will remain an enforceable contract as EA can't just dismiss legal contracts entered into by Bioware before they acquired them.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Stan85 said:
Before Bioware was bought by EA,MS signed an exclusivity contract for Mass Effect TRILOGY...therefore,EA had to ask MS for permission to publish ME1 on Pc. They are still negociating with MS for a Pc port for ME2 even if they OWN Bioware.

MS remains MS,the big corporation that can`t AFFORD to lose something that makes them money. They are a software company,so contracts are the bread and butter of what they do.

Gears 2 made a lot of people get 360`s...Fable 2 made a lot of people get 360`s... now Mass Effect 2 will get a lot of people to get 360`s because they played the first part on the Pc and now it`s exclusive to 360 so they NEED to buy a 360. How do you know that MS will allow ME2 to be on Pc? What about ME3 on Pc? They are not and will not be forced to own the IP/own the developer to have ME trilogy exclusive to the 360.

MS is smart and has a bunch of smart lawyers. What more can be said?

That's how I would think if I was MS. I hope they choose that path and doesn't release ME2 on the PC (it'll just get pirated by people like me).

LoL...people like you... EVERYONE can pirate Pc games,just click on a torrent and download.

The thing is that the developers/publishers get nothing,and by NOT being an xbox 360 exclusive,many will not buy a 360 and the game because they can pirate it on Pc later. It will be a bad move from MS.

madskillz said:

And I seriously doubt MS wants any of that. MS knows they have one of the hottest dates at prom and has no plans to share her with anyone - except a gay friend.

Mass Effect port to the Wii Confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

"They think I'm crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy, it is I who am MAD!"

"Bolshe, luchshe, I kruche"

i believe that it wont show up on other systems. although at the very most...if EA wants to do a handheld one, they will probably reach an agreement.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Stan85 said:
Slimebeast said:
Stan85 said:
Before Bioware was bought by EA,MS signed an exclusivity contract for Mass Effect TRILOGY...therefore,EA had to ask MS for permission to publish ME1 on Pc. They are still negociating with MS for a Pc port for ME2 even if they OWN Bioware.

MS remains MS,the big corporation that can`t AFFORD to lose something that makes them money. They are a software company,so contracts are the bread and butter of what they do.

Gears 2 made a lot of people get 360`s...Fable 2 made a lot of people get 360`s... now Mass Effect 2 will get a lot of people to get 360`s because they played the first part on the Pc and now it`s exclusive to 360 so they NEED to buy a 360. How do you know that MS will allow ME2 to be on Pc? What about ME3 on Pc? They are not and will not be forced to own the IP/own the developer to have ME trilogy exclusive to the 360.

MS is smart and has a bunch of smart lawyers. What more can be said?

That's how I would think if I was MS. I hope they choose that path and doesn't release ME2 on the PC (it'll just get pirated by people like me).

LoL...people like you... EVERYONE can pirate Pc games,just click on a torrent and download.

The thing is that the developers/publishers get nothing,and by NOT being an xbox 360 exclusive,many will not buy a 360 and the game because they can pirate it on Pc later. It will be a bad move from MS.

Well that's what I meant.

Around the Network
dbot said:
So your theory is that EA exchanged the ability to deliver the sequels to Mass Effect on the PS3 in exchange for the ability to publish Mass Effect 1 on the PC? Really?

If this were true, EA would be emphatic about the fact that it was not coming on the PS3, and the CEO of the company would certainly clarify a statement about a multi-platform release.

I think the forums better prepare for PS3/360 announcements for both Mass Effect and Final Fantasy Versus. It's just a matter of time.

It's not my theory - it's fact. MS hit a deal with EA to publish ME on PC. Had they not reached a deal, there would be no PC version.

Let's look at publishing for a sec:

A video game publisher is a company that publishes video games that they have either developed internally or have had developed by a video game developer.

As with book publishers or publishers of DVD movies, video game publishers are responsible for their product's manufacturing and marketing, including market research and all aspects of advertising. They usually finance the development, sometimes by paying a video game developer (the publisher calls this external development) and sometimes by paying an internal staff of developers called a studio. The large video game publishers also distribute the games they publish, while some smaller publishers instead hire distribution companies (or larger video game publishers) to distribute the games they publish. Other functions usually performed by the publisher include deciding on and paying for any license that the game may utilize; paying for localization; layout, printing, and possibly the writing of the user manual; and the creation of graphic design elements such as the box design. Large publishers may also attempt to boost efficiency across all internal and external development teams by providing services such as sound design and code packages for commonly needed functionality.

Because the publisher usually finances development, it usually tries to manage development risk with a staff of producers or project managers to monitor the progress of the developer, critique ongoing development, and assist as necessary. Most video games created by an external video game developer are paid for with periodic advances on royalties. These advances are paid when the developer reaches certain stages of development, called milestones.

The deal - the part revealed - is EA handles future publishing of all ME games. MS doesn't have to publish them anymore, hence the special edition of ME coming out from EA.

@ SpartanFX - it's not that I am whining over this. I am stating facts vs. fanboy hoopla. The original was published by MS and folks just overlook that and say 'It's going to come to the PS3' and there's a snowball's chance in hell of this happening.

What I don't want is - a half-done attempt to try and bring a remarkable game. It will be piecemealed and broken and give PS3 bots even more ammo to hate on the 360. There's enough of that going around that gamers don't need more of this crap.

Seriously, what's so hard to understand? ME 1 is available on the PC for non-360 owners.

And - accept the fact there are some 360 games that you won't play on a PS3. If you want to play an exclusive RPG on your sysytem, wish hard and hope the gaming gods here your prayer. Or just get the rival system and enjoy the games.

I hope it stays exclusive, because ps3 only fanboys want it. They need it. They just can't have it
Funny stuff.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Interpret vague sentences all you like, Bioware stated on their forum that they could port the game to the PS3 if they wanted too.

@munkeh111, they are making a game for the ps3 now. its called "dragon age :origins" set for release this fall. but as for the mass effect series, i believe that m$ has a agreement in place to make sure that the series stays on the system it was built for.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Hyams said:
Interpret vague sentences all you like, Bioware stated on their forum that they could port the game to the PS3 if they wanted too.

Yeah - they could - but will they?

Vague? It states this: EA has struck an agreement with Microsoft to handle future publishing for Mass Effect.

How is that vague? Do you own the game on the 360? If you do, read the box - and look at the inserts. The game is plastered with 'Microsoft Game Studios' all over it. They PUBLISHED the game. Bioware developed the game and owns the IP, but as a publisher of any media, you do have certain rights to the game. Otherwise, if MS didn't, why do you think Bioware/EA has taken a year and a half to annoucned ME 1? There's only one way for them - EA - to get it on the PS3 - and that's when the contract runs out and/or they buy MS out of it.

Legal matters are what landed Sony and MS in court with Immersion and killed the first Xbox (NVidia). If EA was retarded enough to publish ME without getting permission, again, from MS, Billy Gates and his crew would sue the devil out of EA. Seriously - timed or not, it's just not going to the Sony types.

There's always the PC version if you want to play it that bad. I don't blame you - it's an awesome game and one of the game folks looking at a 360 cite - along with Halo 3 and Gears - as a reason to buy the 360.

Wow ... folks just forgot last gen - and Sony's exclusive deals. Believe you me - MS has a long, long memory.