By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone 2 VS Gears of War 2 through the eyes of a programmer

when i played the killzone 2 demo, everything just looked so real to me- i dont know about you but thats the best looking game ive ever seen.

Around the Network

Wow... A man could learn quite a bit by reading through this thread.

4 ≈ One

Solid_Raiden said:
First off I wanted to say that I read your OP and thought it was very intelligent and thought out. However, I didn't read anything else in this thread as it's quite huge so I apologize if I'm repeating what other posters have said, which I probably am.

I'm sure you realise that we have only seen screens from the first two levels for the most part. If K1 is anything to go by there will be varied environments which may or may not include organic matter. For instance, most of K1 had environments much like we've seen in K2 but it also had a lush, organic level that was quite beautiful. That's why I say it's always better to wait for the final product otherwise a lot of your post is assuming the game will be little more then screens from the first two levels. In addition, I don't believe any of the images you used for K2 were final build. Which is fine, it still gets your point across but another reason why I feel waiting for the final game is much better. Who knows how much the game has changed since those screenshots were taken?
That being said, I'm not very knowledgable about graphics and the process of making them and enjoyed the read.

I understand where you are coming from. I watched countless videos and saw countless screenshots without any luck. Sadly, those 2 images were the closest I could find. I didn't cherry pick them, they were the only ones to pick. According to IGN, they were added in December. However, I don't know if the images are older than that. If you're able to find better images that help demonstrate the organic matter, please feel free to post them. Also, like I said before, I will revisit this once Killzone 2 comes out to update this thread a bit. Sadly, I've spoken to people that have played the game behind closed doors, and while they were not able to tell me much about it, they told me they didn't see any trees. Hopefully the environment changes.

Those are very valid concerns, Solid_Raiden. If I find newer screens with similar content, I will be sure to update this.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Please link someone in late 2008/09 saying that the cell is hard to work on.

All i can remember is people saying it's quite easy to work with. But anyways, nice post.

2 reasons for 360 sales.

Cheap arcade version, wich the mom buys for the kids.

And microsoft's wallet.

So basically your saying that killzone 2 looks better but GeoW2 was harder to develop..

Damn trees!!

Predictions.

1. Wii will never reach 50% market share.

2. Kz2 will sell 1.3 first week 3.5 LT.
Sales predictions for 09.

Wii - 69 - 72
PS3 - 32 - 34
X360 - 39 - 41

Around the Network
jetrii said:
Solid_Raiden said:
First off I wanted to say that I read your OP and thought it was very intelligent and thought out. However, I didn't read anything else in this thread as it's quite huge so I apologize if I'm repeating what other posters have said, which I probably am.

I'm sure you realise that we have only seen screens from the first two levels for the most part. If K1 is anything to go by there will be varied environments which may or may not include organic matter. For instance, most of K1 had environments much like we've seen in K2 but it also had a lush, organic level that was quite beautiful. That's why I say it's always better to wait for the final product otherwise a lot of your post is assuming the game will be little more then screens from the first two levels. In addition, I don't believe any of the images you used for K2 were final build. Which is fine, it still gets your point across but another reason why I feel waiting for the final game is much better. Who knows how much the game has changed since those screenshots were taken?
That being said, I'm not very knowledgable about graphics and the process of making them and enjoyed the read.

I understand where you are coming from. I watched countless videos and saw countless screenshots without any luck. Sadly, those 2 images were the closest I could find. I didn't cherry pick them, they were the only ones to pick. According to IGN, they were added in December. However, I don't know if the images are older than that. If you're able to find better images that help demonstrate the organic matter, please feel free to post them. Also, like I said before, I will revisit this once Killzone 2 comes out to update this thread a bit. Sadly, I've spoken to people that have played the game behind closed doors, and while they were not able to tell me much about it, they told me they didn't see any trees. Hopefully the environment changes.

Those are very valid concerns, Solid_Raiden. If I find newer screens with similar content, I will be sure to update this.

Not really concerns. More or less saying i'd love an update from you once the game is out. Thinking about it also, it would make since not having plant life of any kind as the sequal takes place on Helghan instead of Vekta which is suposed to be a harsh, barren world which is both why they were invading Vekta in the first I believe and why the Helghast are forced to wear the masks that they wear. They have become unable to breath without it I believe after having lived on the planet for so long. So I actually doubt we will see trees in this game thinking about it. If so, it will be more due to the storyline they've created then design decisions I think. Either way, trees or no, I'd love to see an updated thread from you once the final version hits the streets. Looking forward to it. Gears is one of my favorite games of this gen and Killzone 2 is looking to be even better (Here's to hoping I can actually play it online unlike Epic who I feel really screwed me over with Gears 2 online! :'( WHY?!). I'd love to see how they stack against each other technically.

PS3 Trophies

Great comparison, can't fault any of those points.

The 360 is a better machine when it comes to AA and texture resolution, you can really see the Ps3 failing at AA when you look at dynamically cast shadows, in the Killzone demo if you look down at your shadow it's extremely jaggy, even in the mighty graphics machine of a game Gran Turismo the shadows cast by the car can sometimes look awefull and jaggy, especially if it's a wing mirror or some other protrusion casting a shadow across the side of the car, then it really sticks out horribly.

The thing I love about killzone the most though, is all the wind physics, particle effects lighting, smoke, death and explosions all blending together so neatly. It helps forget about the straight lines and low texture resolutions you're standing on. Hell even the sparks that bounce off the floor after you fire a bullet into sheet metal are square polygons instead of circular ones.

Angel_DwK said:
So basically your saying that killzone 2 looks better but GeoW2 was harder to develop..

Damn trees!!

I think you're close but I think what Jetrii is saying is more like Killzone 2 looks better because it is more efficient compared to Gears of War 2 that wasn't as efficient.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

I think it's also important to note that Gears of War is a TPS and Killzone 2 is a FPS. Killzone 2 seems to have better character models, especially if you find close up screenshots. Gears of War 2 doesn't need the extra detail because you will almost never find yourself viewing an enemy from that close. In addition, Killzone 2, being a FPS, needs to render a gun model and it's animations. It might be a small difference, but there is a difference between what each game needs to do.

I think it's pretty pointless to argue about organic vs inorganic art assets when you completely fail to mention things like particle effects, lighting, animation, and physics, all of which play a part in a game's graphics and graphics engine. Not to mention that Killzone 2 has per pixel motion blur and could result in some people believing the game has blurry textures based on certain screenshots.

It's depressing that the eyes of a "programmer" focus solely on organic vs inorganic art assets instead of the technology powering the game engines and what each game engine is doing. Are you really a programmer? A real one that has worked on real games?

loved the post and there was a lot one can learn from it. However, the comparisons are weak in my opinion for the following reasons:

1) a tps should be compared to tps, since technically they are 2 different types of games.
2) vegitation is not required in kz2. It doesn't mean anything. I for one would like to see clowns, animals and rainbows in kz2 and geow, but we know it won't happen. It's irrelavant considering it is fully destroyed wore torn and blown city. (terminator in future scenes had no vegitation, it would have been nice but unneccessary.
3) to me, the graphics are about the end product. It's like magic or sfx- no one cares what they did to achieve it as long as the end product delivers.
4) uncharted should have been compared to geow since they are both tps, over the shoulder shooters. Uncharted has plenty of breath taking vegitation aswell as dark creepy sets.
5) it would be unfair to compare halo3 with kz2 but you could look at fallout3 and cod to compare to kz2 (fps).

I don't know why and the op may have a better understanding of this- but why do most fps have weaker graphics compared to 3rd person games?

As many of you may have read, uncharted 2 may knock kz2 for best graphics. It has vegitation and several different exotic locations and amazing scaled sets. Even the 1st uncharted was mind blowing and still is. I think with variation of sets and colours it even out does geow2. Could you please compare these 2 games since they are very alike in gameplay and share the same genre- tps over the shoulder shooter.