By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone 2 VS Gears of War 2 through the eyes of a programmer

Sorry for not responding sooner, I got home very late yesterday and crashed on the couch from exhaustion. I will reply to everyone that had a question or a comment. Except a giant reply.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Around the Network

killzone 2 looks great but i still think from everything i have seen of killzone 2 vs gears of war 2 that gears still looks better.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

kramikosi said:

Please link someone in late 2008/09 saying that the cell is hard to work on.

All i can remember is people saying it's quite easy to work with. But anyways, nice post.

With the exception of a few developers that have been quoted saying the Cell processor is not that hard to work on, the vast majority think it is difficult. Even with times, developers may become more accustomed to developing for the Cell processor, but it is still not an easy thing. They have to spend more time planning things out and more time implementing those things. There are a few programmers that just having something "click" in their heads and they are able to take a difficult task and flawlessly optimize it for the Cell processor. However, those developers are rare (No, not Microsoft's rare :D)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/hirai-were-the-official-industry-leader

In this 1/09 article, a Sony exec claims that the Playstation 3 was designed to be difficult to program for. While I think this is just a way to try and get good PR out of the fact that the Cell processor is difficult todevelop for, I think it's more realiable than random developer saying "xxxxxx" since opnions vary. This is coming from Sony itself.

EDIT: Oops, I pasted the wrong thing earlier. I like to write my responses in a text editor and paste them here.

Good news Everyone!

I think this goes back to the arguement you have to sacrifice one thing, for another.

You can have either a more varied game with more impressive geometry (such as Gears of War 2) or more impressive textures. At least for now, anyways.

Every decision sacrifices one thing for another. Neat read.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Angel_DwK said:
So basically your saying that killzone 2 looks better but GeoW2 was harder to develop..

Damn trees!!

Haha, don't let Guerilla Games hear that, they will hunt you down and force you to watch their GDC presentations! Killzone 2 was more difficult to develop due to the Cell processor and new engine they wrote around the processor.

bobobologna said:
I think it's also important to note that Gears of War is a TPS and Killzone 2 is a FPS. Killzone 2 seems to have better character models, especially if you find close up screenshots. Gears of War 2 doesn't need the extra detail because you will almost never find yourself viewing an enemy from that close. In addition, Killzone 2, being a FPS, needs to render a gun model and it's animations. It might be a small difference, but there is a difference between what each game needs to do.

I think it's pretty pointless to argue about organic vs inorganic art assets when you completely fail to mention things like particle effects, lighting, animation, and physics, all of which play a part in a game's graphics and graphics engine. Not to mention that Killzone 2 has per pixel motion blur and could result in some people believing the game has blurry textures based on certain screenshots.

It's depressing that the eyes of a "programmer" focus solely on organic vs inorganic art assets instead of the technology powering the game engines and what each game engine is doing. Are you really a programmer? A real one that has worked on real games?

This is just a guess here, but did you read the entire thread (I know it's a lot!) and post or simple read page 1 and post? All of these questions have been addressed but I will do it again.
I wrote this for non-technical people to get a brief understanding then I supported it with technical data(page 5) for those that a more technical explanation. Killzone 2 does have great particles, lighting, and other effects, but they are fake versions of what most games have that were achieved using hacks and tricks. This is by no means bad as it gives the impression of the real thing, they just require a lot less power but more development time to do. For example, Killzone 2 doesn't have HDR lighting, they use tricks to fake it. Halo 3 uses a lot of power to have amazing HDR lighting. Bungie could make a new level, add a few lights, and boom, the HDR would take care of the lighting. In Killzone 2, they would have to go through each light and optimize it for the location in which it is in and maybe even prebake some of the effects on textures.  
To put it simply: Game looks good, Game takes a lot of power, Games takes a lot of time - Select 2
Most developers select the first 2, Guerilla Game selected the 1st and 3rd one and were able to make the game look amazing. Duke Nukem developers selected the last 2!
I've already stated that I worked on games briefly and now do simulation programming at Lockheed Martin. Also, I am well aware that Killzone 2 uses a lot of motion blur and I can assure you, I know the difference between motion blur and blurry textures. 
EDIT: I decide to split the replies, I don't want to have a giant wall of text

Good news Everyone!

Around the Network
Procrastinato said:
jetrii said:

Now, lets see what Gears of War 2 would look like if it didn't have so much organic matter and features industrial levels similar to those that populate Killzone 2.

http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/12987/366502_full.jpg

http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/12987/366504_full.jpg

They look pretty good, and even then, they still have organic matter and bright scenes. Although I think Killzone 2 does have better shadows, aside from it being an art direction choice, it makes parts of the game easier to render since they can use lower resolution textures and hide it with darkness.

On my PC games when I turn shadows on stuff gets slower.  How do I make it so the shadows make stuff faster, by hiding the bad textures?  Is there a trick?

There are a lot of different methods to make shadows. Some of them require little power and look bad, some of them require a moderate amount of power and look good, and other require a lot of power and look amazing. Most games go for moderate/good or little power/decent. Real shadows are extremely power intensive and can cut a game's FPS by half.

However, you can also use fake shadows (shadows are already fake, I guess this would be fake fake shadows). Lets say you have a light in an otherwise completely dark spot. Instead of having a light there and having the engine do the math for it 30 times per second, you could edit the texture of the wall too look as if they had a light on them and just stop processing the math for that wall. When the character gets near, then they may switch back to the normal mode and no one knows. The same trick can be applied to shadows, just apply simple post-processing or easier, just make the game dark from the start. Dark games can be made to look better easier than light games can.

Good news Everyone!

MikeB said:
That´s exactly what I thought, me and my "programmer" buddies can only laugh at all the bias in this thread. LOL at all those 360 fans, saying they learned so much.....

Speedtree is simple to use middleware available for both the PS3 and 360, in essence the PS3 is even potentially far more powerful than the 360 regarding procedural synthesis like this due to its CPU.

GG games having to license SpeedTree, which would be entirely out of place for this game to make it as "impressive" as Gears 2..... LOL

Speedtree would not fit well into the Killzone 2 and would cause a major performance hit. If Guerilla could have taken speedtree, lighting engine xxx, mesh engine xxx, particle engine, xx and stuck it together and released a game that looks just as good in 12 months, you better believe they would have. However, in order to have Killzone 2 look the way it does, they have to do everything by hand and use hacks to make it look the same as more power-intensive algorithms. Trees are one of the hardest things to fake and still have look good. Guerilla Games would have had to make serious sacrifices in order to put trees in here, luckily, they didn't have to. I bet there will probably be at least a few trees in the game, but even then, I don't expect them to look as good as the rest of the game. If they had trees, they would have spent an hour talking about the technology as that is something which a lot of developers have been interested in.

I've said from the start that Killzone 2 looks great and that the Playstation 3 is more  powerful than the Xbox 360, whoever, I still maintain that Killzone 2 is the result of effort, not that power gap.

Also, procedural synthesis is very tricky on the Cell processor since you take tiny instructions and generate massive amounts of data with them. The SPEs don't have enough local storage and would have to send everything via the bus. So in essense, it really isn't that well fitted for procedural synthesis, although I am sure it can be done at the sacrifice of other things. 

NinjaKido

"Assuming everything that you say is true , you still not taking into consideration the number of animations occuring at the same time , on screen enemies , on screen activity , physics , audio etc etc.

You say that Killzone 2 has an easier to develop art style than Gears Of War 2 , that sounds stupid art style is only one of the many considerations a developer would have to make when developing a game." 

on the first page...

Sorry, I must have missed that one. Again, I have already addressed this several times. The number of animations and on-screen enemies really isn't that impressive. Epic Games showed over 140+ hordes on the screen at the same time in GoW2 with their own animations, collision detection, etc.  However, Killzone 2 does have more different animations than Gears of War 2, but that doesn't really take up that much power, it just takes more effort to make all those animations. The particles and other FX in Killzone 2 are very impressive though, and like I've stated before, I think that is something which other advanced game engines would sweat a bit doing.

Although art style is only one consideration, I am arguing that art style + level design(which I bundled into art style but address in this thread as well) is one of the major things that help Killzone 2 look the way it does. What other large consideration would the developer have to make? I know there are a lot, but I simply want to know what you're thinking of. They may not be as big as you think they are. 

What I said is true though, Killzone 2's art style is easier to develop for than GoWII's art style. There may be other considerations, but that does not make my argument any less valid.

Good news Everyone!

jetrii said:
786_ali said:
that was a fanboy's attempt to downplay KZ2 but somehow redeem GeOW2, I admire the civilised way you used to show your fanboy views but in the wnd they are just that... fanboy views

You should feel honored that your post is the first and only bias fanboy post that I will reply to. Sadly, it's not argue with you or humor you, it's just to let others know that I'm just going to disregard posts like these. You simply are not worth it. Enjoy a life of mediocrity.

I only read page 12 of this thread.I haven't played either and since I have little technicl knowledge/experience,I blindly agree with everything jetrii said.LOL!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

@ jetrii

Speedtree would not fit well into the Killzone 2 and would cause a major performance hit.If Guerilla could have taken speedtree, lighting engine xxx, mesh engine xxx, particle engine, xx and stuck it together and released a game that looks just as good in 12 months, you better believe they would have.

Nah, they may do this for Killzone 3 if that battle takes place on earth. The Helgan planet isn't earth, it's a windy planet (with lots of flags as indicators), the environments are impressive and highly destructable. No way having a couple of SpeedTrees in there is more demanding than blowing up bridges and walls into thousands of pieces.

They've got plenty of spare CPU time, they are usually using just 2 SPUs, only for the most hectic parts of the game they use all 6 SPUs up to 60% SPU time.

There's no major issue with regard to SpeedTree on the PS3 compared to the 360. The improved PS3 port of the 360's game of the year 2006 Oblivion is testiment of that.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I think the majority of your Killzone 2 screens are old. Could be wrong, but I remember seeing those quite a long time ago.