By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone 2 VS Gears of War 2 through the eyes of a programmer

I would be lying if I said that Gears didn't look good. I would also be lying if I said that Killzone 2 won't have flaws in the graphics department. I'm not going to go into detail with comparisons until KZ2 is released, but I have a problem with Gears. At times the game looks fantastic, then in specific areas, the game can look god awful. The character models are hit and miss (Dom can look terrible in certain scenes) especially when they board Betty (wrong name maybe?) after killing the Brumak with the mortar. They stick out like a sore thumb.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Interesting, I sure do like technical comparisons rather than "oh "x" game looks better because I say so". So great thread jetrii, pretty descriptive! :)

Thanks, I am glad that you enjoyed it. Now, if Heavy Rain and Alan Wake would just come out... I am dying to see how they differ.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Frankly, I don't understand the point of this type of comparison but it looks like some hard word so good job jetrii.

Fans of these games, however, are almost mutually exclusive and most would just believe whatever they want irregardless of anything thats why I think these comparisons are futile. Just play what you like where you like it.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Frankly, I don't understand the point of this type of comparison but it looks like some hard word so good job jetrii.

Fans of these games, however, are almost mutually exclusive and most would just believe whatever they want irregardless of anything thats why I think these comparisons are futile. Just play what you like where you like it.

This thread wasn't made to promote a game or dismiss another, I just thought fans would be interested in knowing why Killzone 2 looks the way it looks. I only used Gears of War 2 as competitor because I feel it has a very strong engine and comes the closest to rivaling it.

Good news Everyone!

@jetrii

Ever thought of doing a Gears vs. MGS4 comparison?

I would really be interested in that one, regardless of the outcome.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
jetrii said:
Pristine20 said:

This thread wasn't made to promote a game or dismiss another, I just thought fans would be interested in knowing why Killzone 2 looks the way it looks. I only used Gears of War 2 as competitor because I feel it has a very strong engine and comes the closest to rivaling it.

Well, fair enough. It was an interesting read since I'm not exactly tech inclined myself.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Euphoria14 said:
@jetrii

Ever thought of doing a Gears vs. MGS4 comparison?

I would really be interested in that one, regardless of the outcome.

That one may take a while. I don't like to take guesses at games unless I know the underlying technology, even if I am confident that I am correct. I have a few documents and tech interviews that really cover the MGS4 engine in great detail but for some reason, I've never really looked at them for too long. I've been mostly reading up on the Unreal Engine, Crystal Tools (FFXIII), Killzone 2 engine, Naughty Dog engine, Insomniac engine, EDGE, and a few others. Sony first party/second party developers both interest me and frustrate me. They are capable of making great engines, yet they refuse to work together and instead decide to re-invent the wheel over and over again. It's good for innovation but slows things down.

The best I could do for MGS4 vs Gears is a superficial comparison, I wouldn't be able to talk too much about the MGS4 technology like I did in page 5 unless I actually catch up on it. I can recognize different techniques and whatnot, but I don't think it would be as interesting as this one.

However, if I decide to, I will let you know!

Good news Everyone!

Awesome post Jetrii ^_^

Given time, what do you think future installments of the Killzone engine would be able to do? With some more optimizations and such what do you think you could predict? ^^

How would memory benefit the game should the PS3 OS shrink in consumption?

Do you think it's odd at all that Gears 2 Character models look almost identical to the Unreal Tourney 3 models?

What makes KZ2 so amazing in motion? I've played through Geow2, and while I like the look of it, the worlds just seem so motionless sometimes, it really feels like there's not much going on with you and the world your in :P Whereas with Killzone 2 all the crap going on with the sidelines really opens the world up. How much more does it take to render all that shit on the sides?

Orange or Grape soda? Neither is not an option.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

dbot said:
drpunk said:
Anything that I've read on the subject has said that TPSs are harder to develop than FPSs.

Mainly due to the fixed viewpoint of a FPS.

Yes, the gameplay is harder to develop in a TPS than a FPS.  The opposite is true for graphics.

OK. I think I understand from the comments made by other people.

I reckon the line between the two might have become blurred since the introduction of a model for the "first person". It might even be that first person games are developed as third person games but the camera is fixed in a first person perspective rather than a third person perspective.

Judging from that video posted where the developer moves the camera it definitely gives that kind of impression.

Similar with Mirrors Edge. The main point there being they didn't do too much with the character's (upper body) movement because you never see it.

AND YOU MAKE SUCH A GOOD POINT!!!! That frustrates me so much about Sony! They really need to pool all they're resources into making the ultimate PS3 engine. But they won't! >

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.