By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone 2 VS Gears of War 2 through the eyes of a programmer

we should be looking at the presentation as a whole, not just looking a screenshots. I have played gears 2 and the demo for Killzone 2, Killzone is far better in my opinion becuase of how it looks in motion. The lens flare, particles the detail on the gun. The animation is also different every time the hit detection on the helgast is amazing making every kill look different. In the first person shooter genre a lot of the textures can be seen up close. This is very different in a third person shooter like gears. So yes in my opinion Killzone 2 looks far better.

Around the Network

Anything that I've read on the subject has said that TPSs are harder to develop than FPSs.

Mainly due to the fixed viewpoint of a FPS.

jetrii said:
dbot said:
I do appreciate your effort with this thread. I think you would need to see additional shots of Killzone to determine if it includes any natural objects for comparison. I was always under the impression that third person shooters(GeoW2) would look better than first person shooters(Killzone 2) due to the proximity of the camera to the textures. The natural first person cover system in Killzone would further this problem since you would always have the camera zoomed to a texture. To use the logic in your original post, do you think that making a third person shooter is "taking the easy way" as well?

I also appreciate the fact that you believe that the 360 could handle a game like Killzone, but we will never know if you are right. Any further "technical" posts on this matter will lead us into the inevitable fanboy hell of technical specifications. To sum it up, I would rather own the console that is playing Killzone 2 as opposed to the console that could POTENTIALLY play Killzone 2.

Anyway, nice thread. It is definitely a new approach to the debate.

One more reply and I am out of here. I think I have an addiction to VGChartz. The whole third person/first person view is a little irrelevant. I suspect the difference would be tiny. Plus, GoWII has to render the character on the screen while in Killzone only the gun and hands need to be rendered. Also, third person games usually have a farther view distance due to the elavated camera. Although, that is an interesting point which i've never heard anyone bring up before. Kudos.

And of course, this is purely an educated guess that is up for debate.

First about the OS, I recall that 80-90 figure being talked about a lot when the PS3 launched. However, I remember that there was talk during one of the firmware updates because the OS was freed of some memory usage.

Anyway, I believe that Killzone 2 does render Sev's whole body, but you only see his hands. In the Gamekings Killzone 2 feature (which I'll link below), the developer takes the camera out of first person view and turns around to show Sev and he even controls Sev for a moment like this.

Skip ahead to about 4:25. Not like it really matters though, it's really only relevant in cut-scenes anyway.

drpunk said:
Anything that I've read on the subject has said that TPSs are harder to develop than FPSs.

Mainly due to the fixed viewpoint of a FPS.

Yes, the gameplay is harder to develop in a TPS than a FPS.  The opposite is true for graphics. 

I am still not convinced that Killzone 2 will look better than MGS4.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Great thread OP.

Its interesting to know a bit about the tricks used to make KZ2 look better than it should. I suppose its the smart thing for them to do, try and hide the ps3 weakness and play to its strength.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Around the Network

i feel bad you took teh time to actually give some info ot and you have the tols coming in here like they own the place

good read ad i like the info thanks

I liked your article, so I'm assuming that you have played Crysis and are capable of seeing the technical superiority that it holds over every console game right now.

In the end I do agree with your analysis, but when graphics have reached the levels that I have seen in GoW, Killzone, MGS, Crysis, etc. the differences become less noticeable and really don't matter.

The more I'm looking on KZ2 pics, the more I agree with @jetrii
Even vats are not like spheres
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/890/890010/killzone-2-20080715040155663.jpg

Its so sad that sony fanboys instantly throw a fit if you don't say Killzone 2 is god in graphics!! You kids need to realize he has said from the beginning K2 looks better. You guys are so blinded by your own love of the game you aren't even realizing WHY it looks better. Its not neccessarily due to a superior engine. Also K2 destroys in terms of animations, lighting, and particle effects but Gears 2 has superior textures. At the end of the day K2 always wins but there are reasons for that. Doubt it all you want but K2 ISN'T king over gears 2 in every way, just in most.

I have some code compiling so I can afford to take a few minutes off to catch up on the thread

alephnull said:
jetrii said:
alephnull said:
jetrii said:
alephnull said:
Not that the KZ2 people don't need to be put in their place, but the thread parent doesn't contain anything measurable and just engages in a bunch of hand waving. Furthermore, the ridiculous OS comments neutralize any effect the appeal to authority has.

If you are not pleased with my simple explanation, you are free to read the more technical discussion on page 5. Also, what OS comment are you talking about?

The "OS" numbers I see bandied about look like the size of firmware updates to me, most of which are userspace applications.

I highly doubt either the kernel used by either the 360 or the ps3 is larger than 10 MB and  probably much less than that. Even if they decided to cram a bunch of user space programs into kernel space ala NT they would all just end up getting swapped out anyway.

Decided to reply to this before I left. Right now, you are pulling numbers out of thin air. Do a Google search for Xbox 360 OS footprint or Playstation 3 OS footprint and you'll have hundreds of sites confirming what I said.

Xbox 360 OS = 32mb of ram

PS3 OS = ~70-80MB. The sites will report less than this but that's just the OS memory, there are other things which also take up memory on the PS3.

I did a decent amount of kernel development before I got into HPC. I have seen these numbers before and do not believe them because of said experience.

I really don't know what to tell you, buddy. I've already told you the correct information and even gave you the exact phrase to search for on Google to confirm what I said. Xbox 360 uses 32MB and the PS3 uses more than that. It really doesn't matter if you did kernel development because this generation of consoles have much more than just a kernel, they have a full blown OS that can be accessed from within the game. If you still don't believe me, then we can agree to disagree.

@iyzy

I too agree that Killzone 2 does look better than Gears of War 2, however, I started the analysis with that belief firmly planted. I'm glad that you enjoy Killzone 2, I am sure it will be a great game and push a quite a few copies when it is released.

@IllegalPaladin

The 80-90 figure was for the PS3 OS only and it did not include additional things like the backbuffer and other components. Since then, Sony has actually lowered the memory usage of the OS down to 43MB but other things bring it up to 70MB or so for the average game. Some (very few)games can do tricks to lower the PS3's OS usage but Killzone 2 is not one of them.

Also, the body is in memory but it is not rendered. Consoles only render what you can see and just skip over everything else outside the field of vision.

@dbot

Haha, be careful, you may start a triple dog fight between GoWII fans, MGS4 fans, and KZ2 fans! Actually, I am pleasantly surprised that this thread is still this civilized. Kudos to VGChartz.

@mesoteto

Thanks for the concern but I really don't mind. I know there will always be people that will refuse to step out of their shoes for a while and see things from another perspective.

@largedarryl

Of course, Crysis is a beautiful game. And you're right, after a certain point, additional improvements do become more subtle and hard to see. However, next gen we are jumping to full blown 1080P! We should see some very nice improvements.

If you really want to be impressed by Crysis, check out these shots. I believe they are from a mod, but they certainly show off the power of today's modern GPUs.

http://www.picgarage.net/images/juhd8_42900_263.jpeg

http://www.picgarage.net/images/10h2j_36839_286.jpeg

http://www.picgarage.net/images/2nhnu_42874_687.jpeg

@BenVTrigger

I feel the same way. Killzone 2 does look very good, but Gears of War 2 is not that far behind in terms of graphics. However, it still has some catching up to do in the animation department.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!