By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will I regret buying Killzone 2 PS3 if MS made better games given the time?

This will be long and somehow off the topic but may you let me explain...

Hello, I am a late teen gamer from the Philippines. This site caught my attention when I was researching for the best console because I am planning to buy a 7th gen console. I'm a new member and  this is my first post so guys I do hope you welcome me nicely ^_^

Before I ask my killzone 2 question, let me give you a brief history of console/pc gaming in the Philippines so that you will understand why I'm like this ^_^

Before, sometime in the year of 1997 to 2004, the original playstation was so phenomenal because of its impressive library of games and also because of massive piracy. Somehow, Sony was so dominant because they introduced Filipinos to a new form of gaming experience. Before, we only taught that video games were only for kids. This may be the reason why a lot of Filipinos are sony fanboys.

Playstation 2 on the other hand only became phenomenal, sometime in the year of 2004 until now. It may seem late, but this is all because, that was the time when PS2 became affordable for us and also because of massive piracy. Piracy here in the Philippines is everywhere. Many are hardcore gamers but most only buy in affordable way. If we include pirated sales of games, it might be bigger than Japan's. I assume only 10% knew the Xbox and 5% for gamecube that time. Also, it could be noted that the online capability of PS2 did not matter because majority of us did not use it anyway.

Then somehow the PC gaming became so big. Currently, the most popular game here is DotA. From my perspective, it seems that our country is not yet ready to leave 6th generation (PS2) for the 7th. This is because of the price of the consoles that we wanted and the HD TVs cost a lot. I don't think that we are also ready to move to the HD TV generation. Hell there are even no HD channels here even in paid TV platforms ^_^.Wii here is known but it is not phenomenal, just decent.

I think that we are late in gaming experience, our country is only at the peak of 6th gen experience. But also it is starting to be shadowed by the growing PC gaming. If you compare the phenomenal success of DotA and other PC mmorpg's like ragnarok to the success of PS2, it is like comparing Wii and Xbox sales combined to the PS3. It is not that the PS2 success here is small (PS2 success here is bigger than the PS1) it is just that there were a massive increase of gamers ever since we know DotA and ragnarok.

So now I'm planning to buy PS3 and HD TV (I can afford it anyway)
It is because I'm too struck at the PS brand. However, with recent sales data shows PS3 sales in only equal to xbox 360 (at least if you compare it by launch) and I'm so disappointed by that because it would mean that Xbox 360 maybe equal to PS3. This seems that PS3 is not that justifyable at all. And suddenly Xbox 360 seems to be appealing to us. Add to this fact that there is now a growing piracy of 360 games here but not for PS3. We can even EASILY buy pirated 360 games of the same quality for 50 Philippine Pesos (that is about one US Dollar) I mean I don't embrace piracy but let us admit it, piracy appeals to people with not so much luxury. Considering the economy these days...

But all of these viewpoints changed when Killzone 2 pops out. Since I can afford PS3 games anyway, I rejected the idea of buying xbox 360. And also there is God of War 3 which the 360 will never have. But the question is, if Microsoft somehow made a game which is as beautiful as Killzone 2 or even more beautiful given the time, will I regret buying a PS3 if I bought it now considering the situations that I've given?

Can you kindly answer  me please objectively and subjectively (somehow I need an objective viewpoint and fanboy viewpoint lol ^_^) I confess I'm a SONY Fanboy but I'm open to the new.

Now for the Killzone 2 question: Is that demo really that good? I understand the intro and some cutscenes blew me away but gears of war and halo 3 cinematics also blew me away but to the lesser extent. Is that demo really that "Am I Heaven"?

Note: Please forgive the spelling ^_^

I want an INNOVATION not an IMITATION

PS3 or Xbox 360?

Soon to buy one ^_^

Around the Network

Halo 3 took around as long as KZ 2 with a similar budget. And it doesn't look as good, nowhere near. And if MS did ever make something like KZ 2, I don't see why you would regret getting a PS3, just get a 360 as well. And yes, the demo really is incredible.

So your afraid you won't enjoy a system because another system is selling just as well? Why don't you buy the wii then? If you like Sony and their exclusives then there is no reason not to buy a PS3 if you can afford it. My PS3 gets most of my playtime even though I own all three consoles because A) I Like their exclusives the most (MGS4, Uncharted, LBP, K2 FTW!) B) I prefer the PS controller to the bulky 360 controller C) It's more reliable then the 360 and I prefer HD gaming.

PS3 Trophies

@The God of War
I'm sorry I can only buy one console so I should buy the best one right? I'm just carefully planning to spend my money wisely.

@Solid Raiden
Wii is cool but not my thing. Based on what I've seen so far, wii hardcore games are not that good compare to the HD consoles (Too lazy as of now to post sources but there are) Since I can only buy one console, I should choose wisely so that I won't regret it later.

@Everyone
Playstation brand is still powerful here in the Philippines.

I want an INNOVATION not an IMITATION

PS3 or Xbox 360?

Soon to buy one ^_^

just because a console sells more doesnt meen its better, thats up to you.

Around the Network
GamerInPhilippines said:
@The God of War
I'm sorry I can only buy one console so I should buy the best one right? I'm just carefully planning to spend my money wisely.

@Solid Raiden
Wii is cool but not my thing. Based on what I've seen so far, wii hardcore games are not that good compare to the HD consoles (Too lazy as of now to post sources but there are) Since I can only buy one console, I should choose wisely so that I won't regret it later.

@Everyone
Playstation brand is still powerful here in the Philippines.

Sounds to me like you should get a PS3 then. If sales don't mean enough for you to buy a wii, then why should it deter you from a PS3? The PS3 is always going to have strong first party games and a large majority of 3rd party games are multiplatform. Unless you're more of a fan of Halo, Gears, etc. then PS3 exclusives then I would suggest there is no reason for you to get a 360 rather then a PS3.

PS3 Trophies

how can u say i will regret buy killzone2 when u havnt played it yet!!! it be like me say final fantasy 13's final boss sucks lol no1 except the developers lnow wat the final boss is.

Well dude the PS3 is a great system to own if you can afford it, i have all 3, but my ps3 gets the most play time, also does MS fix 360s that RROD in the phillippines?

Systems owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox360

Currently Playing: UNCHARTED 2 !!

Waiting for: FFXIII, GoW3, GT5, Mass Effect 2

The_God_of_War said:
Halo 3 took around as long as KZ 2 with a similar budget. And it doesn't look as good, nowhere near. And if MS did ever make something like KZ 2, I don't see why you would regret getting a PS3, just get a 360 as well. And yes, the demo really is incredible.

Excuse me?

Halo 3 had less than HALF the budget of Killzone 2 based on the information we have available to us.  Killzone 2 also had over a year's extra development and three seperate studios working on it.

After all this, the game only looks marginally better than Gears of War 2. 

@ OP.

If you feel you genuinely need to play Killzone 2 then purchase a PS3.  But if you are a shooter fan in general, the Xbox 360 has more, better shooters than the Playstation 3.  In addition, it also has a wider library of high rated games.

Just get both Console what the big deal.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller