By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Shuts Up Gabe Newell!

Gabe Newell is cool. Cliffy B is such a d*** he should have a lock on his mouth and be stripped of the right to speak publicly.

Twilightman on Gametrailers

Around the Network
Cypher1980 said:
MikeB said:

@ Cypher1980

Valve are some of the most creative talents in the industry and surely deserve at least grudging respect.

Sure Valve has talented people employed, such as graphics artists (not Gabe of course, he's just a fat millionaire ) and level designers, but I was more talking about low-level game engine design. I don't think they have the in-house expertise like say Crytek, GG, Naught Dog, Insomniac, etc.

If they have the in-house talent, I would imagine they couldn't wait to start tapping the PS3's potential (it benefits other platforms as well).

From Wikipedia

The Source engine is a 3D game engine developed by Valve Corporation. The engine supports Microsoft Windows (32-bit and 64-bit), Xbox, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

I guess they have some experience of engine creation huh !

lol @MikeB, why the hell would Valve want to limit their games by restricting development to a console.  They make PC games, and at this present time, Valve would only be limiting their ability to push any technical boundries by developing for the PS3.

largedarryl said:
Cypher1980 said:
MikeB said:

@ Cypher1980

Valve are some of the most creative talents in the industry and surely deserve at least grudging respect.

Sure Valve has talented people employed, such as graphics artists (not Gabe of course, he's just a fat millionaire ) and level designers, but I was more talking about low-level game engine design. I don't think they have the in-house expertise like say Crytek, GG, Naught Dog, Insomniac, etc.

If they have the in-house talent, I would imagine they couldn't wait to start tapping the PS3's potential (it benefits other platforms as well).

From Wikipedia

The Source engine is a 3D game engine developed by Valve Corporation. The engine supports Microsoft Windows (32-bit and 64-bit), Xbox, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

I guess they have some experience of engine creation huh !

lol @MikeB, why the hell would Valve want to limit their games by restricting development to a console.  They make PC games, and at this present time, Valve would only be limiting their ability to push any technical boundries by developing for the PS3.

Truth. Especially the last part.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

@ largedarryl

Valve would only be limiting their ability to push any technical boundries by developing for the PS3.

Technically the PS3 provides lots of potential, over 20 million users with a super fast 8 processor chip, lots of space on Blu-Ray to take advantage of. Killzone 2 is well beyond what Valve has provided the last couple of years.

One thing is striking regarding PC games, the best sold games the last couple of years weren't really that demanding. It's easy to understand why, not everyone has a top notch gaming PC and many of whom who do have a DVD burner and the know how where to get pirated games.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ largedarryl

Valve would only be limiting their ability to push any technical boundries by developing for the PS3.

Technically the PS3 provides lots of potential, over 20 million users with a super fast 8 processor chip, lots of space on Blu-Ray to take advantage of. Killzone 2 is well beyond what Valve has provided the last couple of years.

One thing is striking regarding PC games, the best sold games the last couple of years weren't really that demanding. It's easy to understand why, not everyone has a top notch gaming PC and many of whom who do have a DVD burner and the know how where to get pirated games.

Lmao

The SPU are not full processor,there miniprocessor they cannot do what real processors can,how ever they do excel in Ai,Graphics and small number crunching and Physics to a extent,but its offset by the small 256mb Sony stuck in.

Says the Sony fanboy who has ignored the greatest Zombie game,One of the greatest Gaming Series.

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ largedarryl

Pfft..... half-life 1 is better than KZ2, walk before you can run seriously.

And also there is a quote about this that the J man posted in this site saying that valve is twice as good as alls onys first party put together bar none.

There is KZ2 then there is half-life, completely different levels.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

^ Well, let's be realistic, Sony has a LOT of first party talent.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

^ true maybe saying twice as good was a little too much. But better than all of them is perfectly sensible.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

He doesn't like the PS3 because you have to write all games for it in assembly code. He is smart and likes C++ and Java which XBox 360 is optimal for.

And Wii.

Procrastinato said:
He doesn't like the PS3 because you have to write all games for it in assembly code. He is smart and likes C++ and Java which XBox 360 is optimal for.

And Wii.

That has to be the most ridiculous statement I've seen. Do you realize that even a simple for loop takes a ridiculous amout work and sweat to create in assembly. And that's just 1 VERY simple line of code. It would take decades to finish anything big for the PS3. Also Carmack has used assmbly before and he still says the PS3 architecture sucks.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835