By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Shuts Up Gabe Newell!

vlad321 said:
Procrastinato said:
He doesn't like the PS3 because you have to write all games for it in assembly code. He is smart and likes C++ and Java which XBox 360 is optimal for.

And Wii.

That has to be the most ridiculous statement I've seen. Do you realize that even a simple for loop takes a ridiculous amout work and sweat to create in assembly. And that's just 1 VERY simple line of code. It would take decades to finish anything big for the PS3. Also Carmack has used assmbly before and he still says the PS3 architecture sucks.

Actually, a for loop is something of a compound statement, and most people put the brackets on separate lines.

Here, I'll show you:

for(int i=0; i < funny; ++i)

{

if (sarcasm) continue;  //I guess sarcasm was true, and "i" eventually passed funny

}

Doesn't really take much to write one in any assembly language, either, although I was kidding about the PS3 assembly thing.  I thought it was obvious, by nature of being so silly, and also for the "And Wii" I put there at the end.

Not as funny as I thought, I guess.  Sorry I raised your tempurature over it.  No offense intended.

Around the Network

@ Garnett

Lmao

The SPU are not full processor,there miniprocessor they cannot do what real processors can,how ever they do excel in Ai,Graphics and small number crunching and Physics to a extent,but its offset by the small 256mb Sony stuck in.

Laugh and behave as childishly as you want. The SPUs are full and real processors, each SPU is far more powerful in every way imaginable than the CPUs for example Amigas had and many games consoles.

256 MB severly limiting the CPU? You clearly know nothing about technology at all, you don't know how much code you need to write to use up only 256 KB of memory footprint.

Memory is a limiting factor, but not at all in the way you decribe it. It more relates to graphics and audio data, but due to the internal bandwidth and streaming techniques the PS3 is extremely resourceful.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Procrastinato said:
He doesn't like the PS3 because you have to write all games for it in assembly code. He is smart and likes C++ and Java which XBox 360 is optimal for.

And Wii.

That's of course nonsense. No you write for the PS3 using high level programming languages just like for the other systems, of course it makes sense to hand optimise things using assembler for performance critical parts (just like for any well optimised software for any platform).

Does the 360 even support Java like the PS3 does?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

@ Garnett

Lmao

The SPU are not full processor,there miniprocessor they cannot do what real processors can,how ever they do excel in Ai,Graphics and small number crunching and Physics to a extent,but its offset by the small 256mb Sony stuck in.

Laugh and behave as childishly as you want. The SPUs are full and real processors, each SPU is far more powerful in every way imaginable than the CPUs for example Amigas had and many games consoles.

256 MB severly limiting the CPU? You clearly know nothing about technology at all, you don't know how much code you need to write to use up only 256 KB of memory footprint.

Memory is a limiting factor, but not at all in the way you decribe it. It more relates to graphics and audio data, but due to the internal bandwidth and streaming techniques the PS3 is extremely resourceful.

Since when was laughing Childish?

Dude,CPU > SPU,Spu are only good at a few things wihle CPU can do everything,but the few things SPU do do there very good at.

256 obivously is alot because Red Faction couldnt even put the game on PS3 due to is 256mb and they pushed the 360 Memory to its max.

Garnett said:
MikeB said:

@ Garnett

Lmao

Since when was laughing Childish?

Dude,CPU > SPU,Spu are only good at a few things wihle CPU can do everything,but the few things SPU do do there very good at.

256 obivously is alot because Red Faction couldnt even put the game on PS3 due to is 256mb and they pushed the 360 Memory to its max.

MikeB got owned yet again! he just doesn't give up does he lol

Around the Network

@ Garnett

The SPUs can be used for all kinds of game uses. Like Insomniac said, ideally nearly everything should run on these SPUs instead of the PPU (roughly the equivalent to a Xenon core).

At what kind of CPU uses do you imagine the SPUs to be weak? They are powerful and competent at all CPU related tasks. Of course they are simplified (yet far more complex than the bulk of past CPUs, sacrifices in terms of convenience not performance!) which requires more effort than is needed with PC CPUs (like is the case for the Xenon, but the Cell is more different and thus requires more effort) but also allows for far better efficiency.

Every 360 game can be ported to the PS3 and vice versa, with enough platform specific optimisations every outspoken game developer agrees the PS3 provides well more technical potential.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ Garnett

The SPUs can be used for all kinds of game uses. Like Insomniac said, ideally nearly everything should run on these SPUs instead of the PPU (roughly the equivalent to a Xenon core).

At what kind of CPU uses do you imagine the SPUs to be weak? They are powerful and competent at all CPU related tasks. Of course they are simplified (yet far more complex than the bulk of past CPUs) which requires a more effort than is needed with PC CPUs (like is the case for the Xenon, but the Cell is more different and thus requires more effort).

Every 360 game can be ported to the PS3 and vice versa, with enough platform specific optimisations every outspoken game developer agrees the PS3 provides well more technical potential.

Thats nice but still 256 is small amount of RAM,The PS3 is a fine piece of hardware but small ram,its like being the sexiest man on earth but having a small (CENSORED) it dosent perform very well,Red Faction dosent think the PS3 can do much more at least for there game,but netiher can the 360 really.(And Red Faction devs said that they cant put the game ON ps3 due to its memory.)

Ugh dude PPU > SPU (You do know what a PPU Is right? Physics Processing Unit,Which can do mroe than ANY processor can do YES even the C311) All 7 SPU adds up to 3.2ghz thats 1 360 core,But the SPU can do different things at once while the 360 CPU cannot.

@ Garnett

Jeff Carroll (Red Faction developer): Potentially, Carroll said, the PS3 will push out better graphics than the 360.

Guerrilla event in London, associate producer Ismael Vicens has revealed that the developer has achieved its goal of making each version of the game functionally and visually identical. This has been achieved despite leading development on the Xbox 360.

If they run into problems it would be due to their game engine design, as good as everything the 360 can do the PS3 can do as well, only potentially it can do it better.

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ Garnett

Do you have a link regarding Red Faction 3 being cancelled for the PS3? Everywhere I look the game still seems to sheduled for release on the PS3...

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ Garnett

Jeff Carroll (Red Faction developer): Potentially, Carroll said, the PS3 will push out better graphics than the 360.

Guerrilla event in London, associate producer Ismael Vicens has revealed that the developer has achieved its goal of making each version of the game functionally and visually identical. This has been achieved despite leading development on the Xbox 360.

If they run into problems it would be due to their game engine design, as good as everything the 360 can do the PS3 can do as well, only potentially it can do it better.

Did you just ignore my hole post? Were not talking about graphics were talking about the Processors.

And

Gameplayer: So you’re saying that RFG is pushing the hardware as far as it can go? Squeezing every drop of juice out of the Xbox 360?

Rick White: Yeah, we’ve got it to the point where we can’t even put an extra vehicle into a world, because it’ll blow the memory. Every little change we make we have to be hyper-critical about it because it could just bring the whole system down. We evaluate every little change in the game, and then we run our tools on it to make sure it isn’t going to break the game and then we move forward, so it really is about pushing the engine as far as we can, and pushing the hardware as far as we can, and then looking at what is the next set of hardware that’s going to come out. Where can we take it then? You know we’re already thinking about if we had XYZ X number of years from now, what would we do with our engine?

No matter how much you DENY it,No matter what you SAY,No matter what EXCUSE you try to use,PS3 still only has 256mb for CPU.