By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario & Sonic will outsell every single-SKU game on HD platforms, sans Halo

irstupid said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
I think that's a very safe assumption. Which makes me so sad :( Mario and sonic is a gaping hole on the face of the industry, and I wish it would burn in eternal damnation ;/ But that's not going to happen, the pile they call a game will continue to sell... and it will be one of the highest selling games this gen. *sigh*

have you played the game?

I haven't so I can't make an opinion on its value.  But my brother who is 24 played it at his college buddies house one weekend a day after drinking and he said him and 3 other guys played the game all day and he had a huge blast and was hoping that I would get the game.

So the game apparantly isn't an eternal damnation to the video gaming industry.  I live alone and don't have people over to play games really ever so I haven't been tempted to buy any really fun multiplayer games, but if I did Mario and Sonic at the Olympics would probably be my first or second purchase, and i'm 23.  So its not just 8 year olds being duped into having it from their dumb parents buying a shitty game.

I have the game, and I think it's pretty good. Some of the events are a bit annoying, but overall I think the game is really fun, especially playing with friends. I was actually amazed at how much skill each event takes into account. The best players will always shine through. There's also an online leaderboard with some insane scores.

@Gnizmo, I remember that as well, ahaha. To be honest, I was a bit unsure about how well this game would sell, but the thing sure has taken off. Before it came out, I wouldn't have guessed it would be at this level. It was entertaining to read all the bashing comments of people laughing at Sega before and right after this game was released. They sure got slapped across the face by this game's sales!

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
I dont know, i think you will have a problem with Gran Turismo 5. Casue didnt GT3 launch with only 10mil PS2s? And it sold 14+mil.

Install base at launch is a terrible, terrible, terrible barometer for how well a game is going to do.

Khuutra said:
Vetteman94 said:
I dont know, i think you will have a problem with Gran Turismo 5. Casue didnt GT3 launch with only 10mil PS2s? And it sold 14+mil.

Install base at launch is a terrible, terrible, terrible barometer for how well a game is going to do.

agreed. The PS2 was taking off at the time. The ps3 not so much. I'm sure GT5 will do well, but I don't expect it to tripple GTAIV, which is the best selling PS3 game to date.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Agreed, GT has potential but it all depends how big is Userbase of the PS3, if limited i cant see it selling as much as M&S which will see sales until the end of generation. Maybe another iteration of GTA? later in this generation...

irstupid said:

have you played the game?

I haven't so I can't make an opinion on its value.  But my brother who is 24 played it at his college buddies house one weekend a day after drinking and he said him and 3 other guys played the game all day and he had a huge blast and was hoping that I would get the game.

So the game apparantly isn't an eternal damnation to the video gaming industry.  I live alone and don't have people over to play games really ever so I haven't been tempted to buy any really fun multiplayer games, but if I did Mario and Sonic at the Olympics would probably be my first or second purchase, and i'm 23.  So its not just 8 year olds being duped into having it from their dumb parents buying a shitty game.

Ooooh no no no, I'm sure the game is just fine. But it's a damnation on the face of the world. It REALLY is.

The moment sonic became Mario's rival in the fanboy feuds, people have been putting together the dream game of a combination of the two. A strange dimension that both games intertwine with. Mario in a bizarre world with spring boards, insane speed boosts, etc etc etc.... then Sonic, being introduced to plants that let him breath fire, or mushrooms that make him huge... two legends of platforming in one game. It would have been the ultimate fanboy's wet dream come true in the form of motion controlled gameplay. Instead.... we get..... Mario and Sonic... at the Olympics. Everything the fans of gaming detest and hate most in life. Something that is quoted as a "sell-out".

Take a game, filled with generic and timeless mini-games, and you could put any face of anything on this game, and the core gameplay wouldn't change in the slightest. But instead.... you get 3 things slapped on the face of it for sheer purpose of popularity.

Mario

Sonic

and Olympics.

This is a genuine case of an average dare I say crappy non-game... slapped with a coat of paint that resembles Mario, Sonic, and Olympics... and just look at the sales. The core of this game has nothing to do with any of those. It's a disgrace to the face of gaming, and it sadly worked. It's the genuine rule that you can sell ANYTHING as long as you market it right. And people buy it in droves :( This game is just morally evil and never should have been brought to existence.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Vetteman94 said:

Other people dont have a problem using it when they say it wont sell that well because it only has X amount of consoles sold. And nobody says anything to them about that.    So why cant I use it in the opposite way?   Either way,  I think it shows that a game like GT doesnt need a large install base to sell,  it is going to sell 10+ million regardless.   I would be willing to bet the majority of early PS3 adopters, got the PS3 because of GT5.

OT: Yeah well it could very well. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised at all. :) Stranger things have happened, and this IS Wii we're talking about here. :p

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Kantor said:

I don't think it will beat Gran Turismo 5, myself. Also, if GTAV is released near the end of this gen, it will outsell M&S considerably.

Could be, but this was comparision to games on the HD platforms.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

M&S is still selling really well and is at 6.8 million right now. I'd say it's got 10 million is pretty likely if not more depending on how long it sells. I dont' see winter olympics as a replacement for summer olympics, only a comptliment to it. 10 million is a tough number for GT to top, Halo might top it. It's a good prediction, certainly gonna be close.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

GT5 and the COD: WaW and MW 2 both have a chance at the title.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.