By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - $60 Games Soon To Be Slashed

Interesting...... Maybe when i go up for my physical i'll buy MGS4 and LBP both for $60. ^_^

Around the Network

You people probably don't buy a lot of games, so a 60$ game every few months isn't anything too big for you. But if you end up wanting 5-10 games in one months like I do sometimes, that extra 10$ starts to kick in. It's almost impossible to by games in bunches like that with that stupidly high price.

A lot of Wii games -- especially third-party offerings -- are now coming in at $40.

The problem is that you have to see if it is over-priced, soon-to-drop shovelware or near-AAA games looking to make money on quantity of sales. (Activision's Pirates Booty vs. Square-Enix's Final Fantasy: Crystal ...)

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Nope nope I just don't see it happening nope sorry nope.

Skeeuk said:
games are cheaper now compared to megadrive snes days.

i paid 59.99 for sf2 special championship edition on megadrive. in todays money that would be £100

Back then videogames were a small market mostly for kids and nerds.

Now it's a much more expanded audience... as such the prices should come down.

Around the Network

But would the increased volume make up for the lower per game revenue? That's tough to predict.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I'm french and i buy all my game at amazon.co.uk, because with the fall of the pounds against euro, a 70 euros games in continental europe cost only 50 euros

very very cool !

The real question is how would a price cut affect volume. If a company sells 1,000,000 copies at $60 or 1,200,000 copies at $50, then the resulting revenue is the same. The profit will differ based on the fixed costs of duplication, packaging, distribution, etc. Marketing costs would not be a factor unless additional money had to be spent to promote the lower price.

patrice1970 said:
I'm french and i buy all my game at amazon.co.uk, because with the fall of the pounds against euro, a 70 euros games in continental europe cost only 50 euros

very very cool !

you know whats cool as well, that you french finally learn to speak some english. Its not much, but your getting there. It makes my surftrips so much easier, im from holland btw.

But your right about the pound, i bought prince of persia at play for 25 euros, mirrors edge only cost me 20 bucks.

But most games i import via gamehubs.com, new releases only cost me 33 euro.

theRepublic said:
But would the increased volume make up for the lower per game revenue? That's tough to predict.

Honestly increased volume almost never makes up for the lost revenue.

Price cutting to gain market share is often considered one of the great follies of buisness decisions.

It occasionally works but it's something that's way overdone.