By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - $60 Games Soon To Be Slashed

This generation I have felt that $60.00 for a game is way to high, $49.99 seems like the sweet spot for a game.

Analyst: Publishers potentially slashing $60 pricing

In this day and age of economic downturn, people are holding on to their hard-earned greenbacks. For some, the $60 price tag on new gaming software is a bit too rich for their blood and – as if sensing their trepidation – Signal Hill analyst Todd Greenwald says it might be on its way out. Greenwald points to this trend using retail and publisher-supported price reductions during the past holiday season (Mirror's Edge, Madden NFL 2009) as examples of what could become stationary in 2009.

Consumers might be smugly smiling at the possibility of future software price cuts; however, such a move to counteract slowing sales would only be a brief riposte. In the long run, it would cut the industry deeply and would be "devastating for margins." That means more of this and less of that. In the end, it's a double-edged sword for both the industry and consumer alike.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

Oh, an anaylst..

Be nice if it happened, but its hard to imagine on the big budget titles.

Some games suffer because of the high price. I want Afro SAMARAI FOR EXAMPLE BUT NOT FOR $60. I would happily pay $40 for it. It needs to be a case by case basis. Halo wars has more $80 pre orders than the $60. It all depends on quality of the games.

misterd said:
Be nice if it happened, but its hard to imagine on the big budget titles.

Maybe not all of them... but it'd help the lower tier titles. (one would hope.)

I mean this is already the case for the Wii.  Lots of games release at 39.99 or lower.

Around the Network

I'm actually okay at the moment with 60$ games. Since after the holidays with the Canadian currency, our games have went up to $69.99, taxes in cost $77.87 a game. I bought Fallout 3 at launch for 59.99 now 3 months later it's 10 bucks more...

i dont mind spending $60 for a game if it has alot of replay value and u got to put 50+ hrs into the game, if u only get a few hrs then the game should be $49.99 or less.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

This might help alot of lower budget games to get mores sales, or even delayed ports like UT3 on 360 and Bioshock on PS3.

Soriku said:
This REALLY needs to happen...

With tax, games end up being close 65$

That's just too much money. It really limits how many games you buy. I know I hate having to sit games back down because I only have enough 1 or 2.