By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New PS3 Exclusive - RTS Coming to the PS3 - Halo Wars Killer?

gebx said:

Halo Wars hasn't even hit the market, but developers have already jumped on the bandwagon on what they believe to be the next big thing on Consoles! What Halo:Combat Evolved did to FPS's is what Halo Wars is looking to do with RTS's.

Read my thoughts on the article at the bottom!

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/a145411/seed-unveils-new-ps3-exclusive-rts-title.html

Seed Studios has confirmed that it is working on a new PS3-exclusive real-time strategy titled Under Siege.

The game will be based on an "original world" utilising "unique gameplay elements and a control scheme designed with a console controller in mind".

Bruno Ribeiro, lead designer on the project, said on the game's official website: "We are also working on implementing a large number of multiplayer and community features with special emphasis on user-generated content."

"In the coming months we will share with you info on many of these features, as well as the work involved in creating them," he added.

Under Siege will be launched at some point during 2009, while the eagerly-anticipated Xbox 360-exclusive RTS title Halo Wars will be released on February 27.

Now I'm quite curious why a developer would choose a western genre on the console with the smallest userbase. Also, if Halo Wars succeeds in bringing (or creating) an console RTS userbase, then wouldn't you want to release that game to please them instead of trying to create a new userbase on another console? The game will be launched months after the release of Halo Wars so it wouldn't be competiting against each other but instead complementing! You could go as far and say that it would be riding the Halo Wars wake.

These reasons would suggest that the 360 would be a way better console for the game to succeed financially and that the only reason why they wouldn't is because Sony is moneyhatting them (HA! Yeah I went there!! Bite Me!).

So with Halo Wars not even on the market, Is Sony already trying to create a "Halo Wars" killer??

Nice, but why didnt you continue your bolding to include user generated content? LBP and UT3 shows that it is important in the console realm now.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

@dodece - Sometimes less is more.  You don't need a thousand words to convey a simple thought.  I disagree with your post.  Gebx did some fairly straightfoward trolling by trying to downplay a PS3 exclusive and elevate Halo Wars as the gold standard of console RTS.  This was obvious to everyone but you.  We have made our points and we are moving on. 

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

ssj12 said:
gebx said:

Halo Wars hasn't even hit the market, but developers have already jumped on the bandwagon on what they believe to be the next big thing on Consoles! What Halo:Combat Evolved did to FPS's is what Halo Wars is looking to do with RTS's.

Read my thoughts on the article at the bottom!

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/a145411/seed-unveils-new-ps3-exclusive-rts-title.html

Seed Studios has confirmed that it is working on a new PS3-exclusive real-time strategy titled Under Siege.

The game will be based on an "original world" utilising "unique gameplay elements and a control scheme designed with a console controller in mind".

Bruno Ribeiro, lead designer on the project, said on the game's official website: "We are also working on implementing a large number of multiplayer and community features with special emphasis on user-generated content."

"In the coming months we will share with you info on many of these features, as well as the work involved in creating them," he added.

Under Siege will be launched at some point during 2009, while the eagerly-anticipated Xbox 360-exclusive RTS title Halo Wars will be released on February 27.

Now I'm quite curious why a developer would choose a western genre on the console with the smallest userbase. Also, if Halo Wars succeeds in bringing (or creating) an console RTS userbase, then wouldn't you want to release that game to please them instead of trying to create a new userbase on another console? The game will be launched months after the release of Halo Wars so it wouldn't be competiting against each other but instead complementing! You could go as far and say that it would be riding the Halo Wars wake.

These reasons would suggest that the 360 would be a way better console for the game to succeed financially and that the only reason why they wouldn't is because Sony is moneyhatting them (HA! Yeah I went there!! Bite Me!).

So with Halo Wars not even on the market, Is Sony already trying to create a "Halo Wars" killer??

Nice, but why didnt you continue your bolding to include user generated content? LBP and UT3 shows that it is important in the console realm now.

Hehe, wouldn't UT3 and LBP prove that user generated content isn't a software seller??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

dbot said:
@dodece - Sometimes less is more.  You don't need a thousand words to convey a simple thought.  I disagree with your post.  Gebx did some fairly straightfoward trolling by trying to downplay a PS3 exclusive and elevate Halo Wars as the gold standard of console RTS.  This was obvious to everyone but you.  We have made our points and we are moving on. 

The only difference I see between your post and Dodece is that he's saying PS3 fanboys are downplaying Under Siege and your saying I'm downplaying it.. actually your saying I'm trolling. But I've read my thread mutliple times and I can't see any lines or phrases saying anything negative about Under Siege.. so I'm a little confused on the new meaning of "trolling"...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

BMaker11 said:
seece said:
perpride said:

RTS on consoles = not fun no matter how you tweak the controls.

You havn't played Halo Wars yet .. I'm sure some ignorant people said the same about FPS on consoles before Halo.

GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Disruptor, Medal of Honor, etc......they all say hi

And Timesplitters! (by only a few months)

Around the Network

The difference is Under Seige is a new IP, Halo Wars is milking the Halo franchise to get high sales.

"Killer" i dont think so.

gebx said:
dbot said:

The only difference I see between your post and Dodece is that he's saying PS3 fanboys are downplaying Under Siege and your saying I'm downplaying it.. actually your saying I'm trolling. But I've read my thread mutliple times and I can't see any lines or phrases saying anything negative about Under Siege.. so I'm a little confused on the new meaning of "trolling"...

There are many differences between my post and dodece's post.  I could care less about Under Siege, in fact until a day ago I had no knowledge of its existence.  My problem with your original post is you are framing Halo Wars as the new standard that all console based RTS will strive to match.  Let's wait for the game to release before we decide if it will be the true RTS measurement.  I think you began trolling with your arguments regarding the PS3 not being a suitable platform for an exclusive RTS and your belief that Sony money-hatted a developer in a lame attempt to develop a Halo Wars killer.  Perhaps it is unfair of me to accuse you of trolling, since I do think you were just having some fun in your original post.  I appreciate your sarcasm.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

their is no such thing has a halo killer, only a new game in the series can call itself that.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Euphoria14 said:
richardhutnik said:
NYANKS said:
God damnit, it seems like 360 fans are using these "Halo killer" phrases a LOT more than PS3 fans. And then they proceed to say that we are making these phrases up. Can everyone stop using this damn phrase? I don't know if anything can kill Halo, if anything it'll just be up there with Halo. It's basically as absurd as saying a new sci fi movie is a "Star Wars" killer.

It is a line they draw in the sand, daring you to cross over it.  It is best that people don't go there.  Anyhow, the media tended to do this "Halo Killer" as in a question asked far more than fans of the Playstation brand had done.  Game Informer actually had Haze on its cover with "Halo Killer" as a question.

"Line in the Sand"? "Don't go there"?

So Halo Wars is getting put on this pedestal yet it has not accomplished anything yet?

I thought it was wrong to do this with your games?

Apologies if I am understanding wrong, but this is what I am seeing.

I was referring to the phrase "Halo Killer".  "Halo Wars Killer" is IMMENSELY presumptive at this point.  We haven't even established if Halo Wars is able to competently pull off an RTS on a console yet.  If it does, and it sells, and starts to approximate what Gears of War did, then we can start MAYBE with that.  As of now, it is absurd.