By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Nurse suspended for prayer offer

lolita said:

Please keep your facepalm to yourself, I don't like them. 'Kay? Thanks.

I mean what if she offered it to a Jew? A Jew wouldn't accept a Christian prayer... Nor a Muslim... That's what I meant. While it was in pure goodness I still don't believe that she should offer prayers, as she doesn't know someone's beliefs and if someone wanted to pray they would do it themselves...

However, I don't think they should have suspended her... Only tell her that she shouldn't do it. It would have been enough.

This is where you're wrong. I know Jews who would gladly pray for me and me pray for them.

And I'm shocked that people actually consider someone offering to pray for you a bad thing. Absolutely shocked. It's not like she tried to convert her or beat the demons out of her.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

How fucking anal do you have to be to say "don't pray for me"? This is regardless of believing in their god, no god, or a completely different god. I mean, seriously. Think about that for just a minute.

If I said, "I hope you get better" would that be an issue? Well, guess what, I'm religious, if I'm hoping for someone's wellbeing, beyond what my own skills are capable of supplying, then that's a prayer, simply by default. Telling someone not to pray, no matter who or what they are praying for, because you don't believe in their god is like telling someone not to smile because you don't like their teeth.

This isn't a case of the nurse forcing her beliefs on someone, this is the exact opposite, she's the one having the beliefs of others forced on her, and what confounds me, even more than this incident by itself, is just how many people don't even realize that.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

mrstickball said:
Crazy. Very sad to see this happen to the nurse.

There's a big gap between someone randomly asking 'may I pray for you' and forcing someone to pray with them. It seems the former is the case with this issue.

I think that there may be more to the story, but as-is it sounds that the company + the patient are being pretty anal about the situation. It's not the end of the world if someone cares enough for someone to pray for them.

Next, we'll be going back to the days of Daniel, and throwing people in jail because they found out they were unwilling participants in a prayer :-

This is just general, not aimed at you mrstickball.

But I think that offering to pray during work hours is just as bad, it's shows a religious bias, regardless of if anything is done or not. In place of medicine religious bias can cause major trouble. This is because different religions have different thoughts about medicine.

For example, if I was a Jehovas witness and a surgeon, I could not go into surgery everyday and refuse to do half of them because according to my religion blood tranfusions are unholy, it will just cause problems.

Another example, if a patient was christian and the doctor was hindu, it would not mix in a place of medicine. Could you imagine a hindu doctor telling a christian patient that they may get better if they start being nicer due to karma, but if not never mind, you will be reincarnated. That would make a christians head explode.

I know tehse examples are more extreme than the nurse, but that is why the rule is in effect, you have to be strict, give em an inch and they take a mile.

And further more, my girlfriend is a third year medicine student and jewish (not a big one mind). When she goes to hosital every morning she leaves that at the door and she becomes a godless doctor, the way it should be. There is no problem with faith outside a place of medcine, but inside, offering faith is a step too far.

ssj12 said:
lolita said:
I think they made a big story with a simple matter as this one but I have to say, even though it's good intentions, she shouldn't do that... Religion is a personal thing plus not everyone is a Christian... -_-'

your right, thats why the Jews, Muslims, and everyother faith prays... puts a hole in your arguement doesnt it?

Not everyone is a member of the Abrahamic religions or other so called "faiths" - makes quite a hole in your argument. 

See now i WOULD have been offended if someone offered to pray for me, because i am about as far from that as it's possible to be. However i would have just declined the offer and sent her on her way, I wouldn't have kicked up a fuss or anything like that, but i wouldn't of been happy.

Edit - also, would you say that refusing people treatments for STIs or refusing to put people in to place for an abortion is allowed because of religion? Because that is what alot of muslim doctors are doing.

Fact is if you support this womans right to offer prayers and religion in any way you're also giving other people the right to use religion to refuse treatments.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
1.25TB HDD (1x1TB, 1x250GB)
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64
highwaystar101 said:
mrstickball said:
Crazy. Very sad to see this happen to the nurse.

There's a big gap between someone randomly asking 'may I pray for you' and forcing someone to pray with them. It seems the former is the case with this issue.

I think that there may be more to the story, but as-is it sounds that the company + the patient are being pretty anal about the situation. It's not the end of the world if someone cares enough for someone to pray for them.

Next, we'll be going back to the days of Daniel, and throwing people in jail because they found out they were unwilling participants in a prayer :-

This is just general, not aimed at you mrstickball.

But I think that offering to pray during work hours is just as bad, it's shows a religious bias, regardless of if anything is done or not. In place of medicine religious bias can cause major trouble. This is because different religions have different thoughts about medicine.

For example, if I was a Jehovas witness and a surgeon, I could not go into surgery everyday and refuse to do half of them because according to my religion blood tranfusions are unholy, it will just cause problems.

Another example, if a patient was christian and the doctor was hindu, it would not mix in a place of medicine. Could you imagine a hindu doctor telling a christian patient that they may get better if they start being nicer due to karma, but if not never mind, you will be reincarnated. That would make a christians head explode.

I know tehse examples are more extreme than the nurse, but that is why the rule is in effect, you have to be strict, give em an inch and they take a mile.

And further more, my girlfriend is a third year medicine student and jewish (not a big one mind). When she goes to hosital every morning she leaves that at the door and she becomes a godless doctor, the way it should be. There is no problem with faith outside a place of medcine, but inside, offering faith is a step too far.

From a theoretical standpoint you are right, but practicly this could never happen. All people of medicine have to declare the Hippocrates' oath meaning that they should do their best to keep any person alive (short version.) That means that a doctor should always perform the transfusions and leave Karma out. He could say of course that eating beef is bad but still, a normal doctor would do that too. Plus, I believe most people of religious background respect other religions.

Your girlfriend aswell. She is not a strict-orthodox Jew and will therefore not let the medicine meddle with her beliefs. Hell, I'm an atheist and would enjoy her reading to me out of the Torah to pass the boredom of a hospitalbed.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Around the Network

Even though the Nurse was just trying to help, this is more serious then some of you guys are making it out to be.

Offering a prayer for an ill patient can cause said patient's stress levels to increase (because it causes them to think the illness is life threatening), which can in some cases worsen the illness.

Although it seems harsh, under no circumstances should a nurse/doctor offer a prayer for an ill patient. The punishment in this case is justified.

WraithPriest said:
ssj12 said:
lolita said:
I think they made a big story with a simple matter as this one but I have to say, even though it's good intentions, she shouldn't do that... Religion is a personal thing plus not everyone is a Christian... -_-'

your right, thats why the Jews, Muslims, and everyother faith prays... puts a hole in your arguement doesnt it?

Not everyone is a member of the Abrahamic religions or other so called "faiths" - makes quite a hole in your argument. 

See now i WOULD have been offended if someone offered to pray for me, because i am about as far from that as it's possible to be. However i would have just declined the offer and sent her on her way, I wouldn't have kicked up a fuss or anything like that, but i wouldn't of been happy.

Edit - also, would you say that refusing people treatments for STIs or refusing to put people in to place for an abortion is allowed because of religion? Because that is what alot of muslim doctors are doing.

Fact is if you support this womans right to offer prayers and religion in any way you're also giving other people the right to use religion to refuse treatments.

So what your saying is your argument sucks? that's what I thought. When did I say JUST Arabic faiths? I meant everything from Buddhism to Hinduism to the Roman Catholic faiths. Since when was Roman Catholic an Arabic faith?

SO if you were ill and a women caring for you was doing her job 100% but was willing to go out of her way to pray for your well being also you would be offended if she was a Catholic, Jew, Christian, Islam, Hindu, etc?

There is NOTHING here about anyone with a faith not taking religion over her medical job. Anyone who is seeing this like that seriously need to open your eyes and learn how to read because frankly your arguments are complete failures at the moment.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I don’t know i think it’s a shame when someone gets in trouble for trying to be a good person….dam shame

And its a proven fact that faith can have a very positive effect in the field of medicine---not just the Christian faith mind you

But people that believe they are going to get better and have someone helping them along do heal faster and respond better to treatments then people that don’t

Studies have proven this

I'm an atheist but I won't look down on someone for doing what they think is the right thing. Politely decline the offer and move on. The nurse was only trying to comfort the lady, even if her means of doing so weren't in line with the woman's personal beliefs.

If that's the kind of thing that upsets a person enough to report it, I wonder how she ever made it to her 70s.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

mesoteto said:
I don’t know i think it’s a shame when someone gets in trouble for trying to be a good person….dam shame

And its a proven fact that faith can have a very positive effect in the field of medicine---not just the Christian faith mind you

But people that believe they are going to get better and have someone helping them along do heal faster and respond better to treatments then people that don’t

Studies have proven this

Need links