By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Nurse suspended for prayer offer

WessleWoggle said:
epsilon72 said:
WessleWoggle said:
I think she deserved it. Unfounded religious beliefs, like prayer, should not be mixed with your work.

What the hell?  You may not believe in the way they choose to do it, but what's wrong with other people wishing for your wellbeing?  They're not trying to convert you, they're just showing that they care for you.

A prayer offer makes me think less of a person, which makes me unhappy, because I don't like to think less of people.

I do not like prayer if you tell anyone about it, only prayer that you keep in your heart.

Even the bible agrees with me:

Matthew 6:5-6

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Context is something that you have completely ignored.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
WraithPriest said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
I think keeping medicine and religion separate is fine.

I think suspending a woman with only good intentions is not fine.

Sit her down, tell her it's not acceptable, and ask her not to do it anymore. Don't take away her job for it.

It's not the first time she's broken the rules regarding faith at work though.

She was warned in October that if she promoted her faith at work again she could end up being investigated for serious misconduct due to her using her "professional status to promote causes that are not related to health” after the carer of someone she visited was given a "Hand made prayer card"

So she was warned at least 2 months prior to this to stop offering prayers etc.

EDIT: I suppose this probably applies to what highwaystar101 just posted as well.

I missed that part.  In that case, she ignored the warnings and was punished.

She didn't heed the warning and followed the rules so she got suspended.  Cause and effect.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Ah. Never mind then.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
lolita said:
ssj12 said:
lolita said:
ssj12 said:
lolita said:
I think they made a big story with a simple matter as this one but I have to say, even though it's good intentions, she shouldn't do that... Religion is a personal thing plus not everyone is a Christian... -_-'

your right, thats why the Jews, Muslims, and everyother faith prays... puts a hole in your arguement doesnt it?

She was offering a Christian prayer... You do know that Jew, Muslim prayers aren't the same, do you? So no there's no "hole" in my argument.

*FACEPALM*

You obviously missed my point. I was pointing out the fact that what would have happened if she was a Jew, Muslim, or otherwise and offered? They all have their own set of prayers that mean the exact same thing.

Please keep your facepalm to yourself, I don't like them. 'Kay? Thanks.

I mean what if she offered it to a Jew? A Jew wouldn't accept a Christian prayer... Nor a Muslim... That's what I meant. While it was in pure goodness I still don't believe that she should offer prayers, as she doesn't know someone's beliefs and if someone wanted to pray they would do it themselves...

However, I don't think they should have suspended her... Only tell her that she shouldn't do it. It would have been enough.

Actually a Jew would accept a Christian prayer... a Muslim would too...

Why wouldn't they?

If a Jewish person asked me if they wanted me to prayer for them.  I'd say "If you want to".  I mean why not?

It's a harmless gesture even if you don't believe it's true.

All and all it's a silly thing. 

If someone is offended by soemoen else asking if they want to be prayed for...

that person just has something wrong for them.

That's like my girlfriend getting offended if someone offers to get her a hamburger even though she's a vegetarian.

I'm not saying I would be offended, I would simply say no, I'm saying that some people can be offended (because they are of different religions or w/e I've seen many cases like this) and to avoid problems (like this situation), she shouldn't have offered a prayer.

I'm not saying she's bad, wrong, evil or anything... I know she didn't mean harm. Geez people read the whole thing.

Around the Network
lolita said:
I'm not saying I would be offended, I would simply say no, I'm saying that some people can be offended (because they are of different religions or w/e I've seen many cases like this) and to avoid problems (like this situation), she shouldn't have offered a prayer.

I'm not saying she's bad, wrong, evil or anything... I know she didn't mean harm. Geez people read the whole thing.

People who are offended are being pretty bigoted as they are persecuting someone for simply being themselves.

I would never persecute someone of a different religion for simply making a harmless gesture towards me.

This kind of thing is really ridiculious. 

It's simply bigotry.

Kasz216 said:
lolita said:

People who are offended are being pretty bigoted as they are persecuting someone for simply being themselves.

I would never persecute someone of a different religion for simply making a harmless gesture towards me.

It's simply bigotry.

Bigotry indeed.

However i have a feeling that majority of ppl that could get offended by this gesture are the non-religeous type.  If u offer someone non-religeous a prayer, they may get offended cause they don't believe there is a god.

But never the less this is still bigotry.

arsenal009 said:
Kasz216 said:
lolita said:

It's simply bigotry.

Bigotry indeed.

However i have a feeling that majority of ppl that could get offended by this gesture are the non-religeous type.  If u offer someone non-religeous a prayer, they may get offended cause they don't believe there is a god.

But never the less this is still bigotry.

That's like a vegetarian getting offended if you offer them a hamburger though.

Why would you be offended?  Not want it sure... but be offended?

If someone was offended because someone offered to pray for them because they were gay or something.  Yeah sure... i'd be offended too... but because someone is ill?

What i mean is, say someone is about to die, they may think about what happens in the afterlife or if anything happens at all. If they are not religious they may get offended cause they don't want to think of a possibility of an afterlife.

How this has anything to do w being a vegetarian is beyond me...

__XBrawlX__ said:
So she wanted to pray for her (Show she cared for the patients) and now she doesn't have a job. That's bull! Especially considering that she asked them first!

exactly!

Whether you are a christian or not, this is ludacris. At least she isn't one of those nurses that bets on when patients die.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive