By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guardian: Little Big Planet is still better than Killzone 2, plus more.

Guardian: Little Big Planet is still better than Killzone 2

UK paper the Guardian has been pondering whether KillZone 2 is the best game on the PS3 thus far? And the answer is a thoughtful no because Little Big Planet is more original. However, they admit the FPS is a great game and a great way to start 2009.

Quote:
In many ways Killzone 2 feels like a shooter designed by Blizzard. No, sadly you can't shoot Night Elves with a rocket launcher. Rather it takes all the conventions of the first-person shooter genre – weaponry, locale, cover/control mechanics – and polishes them until near perfection. Ok, maybe not perfection, but you get the point. Killzone 2 is a very pretty, very polished first person shooter.

Killzone 2 won't win awards for originality or narrative. And chances are in 15 years time when you dig your dusty PS3 out of the loft and start reminiscing it will be the likes of LittleBigPlanet that stir the greater memories. But in 2009 Killzone 2 is a state of the art first person shooter and a great way for the PS3 to start the year.
News Source: Guardian.co.uk

"Feels like a shooter designed by Blizzard"? That is a pretty damn good compliment.

Sorry if posted already.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

First they compare a platformer to an FPS and they say "Feels like a shooter designed by blizzard" Don't blizzard make RPG's and RTS's ? .

I've never taken the Guardians views on gaming seriously anyway but none of it makes sense.

BOO!!

MGS4 >>> ALL!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

^ It had more to do with this comment.

"Rather it takes all the conventions of the first-person shooter genre – weaponry, locale, cover/control mechanics – and polishes them until near perfection."

This is pretty much what Blizzard does, only replace "First-person shooter" with RTS and WRPG.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Some people just cant take violence.

Around the Network

In terms of reviews, yeah....in terms of my opinion, and I haven't even played Killzone 2, no...LBP was such a bore for me....I want an HD Klonoa for my HD platformer needs.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

MGS4>KZ2>Uncharted>LBP.

All are excellent games, though.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I would of never thought it would of been before LBP releases. Since then though I actually do expect it to be better.

So the good news is that the game is going to be realy good. The bad news is that it won't be bringing anything new to the table. Not really a huge deal though.

That's not what Blizzard does. Blizzard makes games with the "easy to learn, hard to master" philosophy. The games feel fun from the beginning, but continually introduce you to higher and higher concepts. Lot's of companies do polish, Blizzard does a lot more than just that. Not to say anything negative about Killzone, he just misses what makes Blizzard great.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.