By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did you know that...

c0rd said:
jammy2211 said:
They went stale.

Then Skate put the final nail in their coffin, took the skateboarding genre to a new level, and pretty much stole the market. Hopefully EA won't let Skate go stale, too early to say with that franchise.

Anywho, Activision will be bringing Tony Hawk's back with a focus on realism and whatnot, trying to take back the market Skate stole. It can only be a good thing this genre has two competitors locked horn to horn now, should prevent it from going stale like Tony Hawks.

Not a clue if Tony Hawks is coming back this year mind, I've got a list of 4 Activision projects yet to be officially announced due for a 2009 release...

Stole the market?

Maybe it did, but that isn't saying much. I guess it stole what little was left of the skateboard game market.

Really, though. Skate can't even break a million (actually might be wrong here). Compare this to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, which sold 5.4 million(!!!) copies in the US alone, according to NPD. It's really sad to say after a game that good, but I think the genre is dead, and has little chance of coming back.

The only figure we have for Skate is 640k, and that is for just the 360 in just America, so the market is still undenyably sizeable. Skate 2 opened with a slightly lower week 1 number on the 360, but overall is larger with PS3 sales and will have stronger legs as it's lowish week 1 is due to a January release.

There has been a drop in popularity of skating games but it's still a huge sub-section of gaming and I can easily see Skate 2 going past 3.5 million+ come the launch of Skate 3.

It didn't 'steal' as such maybe the market as Tony Hawk's seemed to have got rid of the market it once had itself, but whoever did buy lots of Tony Hawk's when it was popular and gave up on the series were all quick to pick up Skate it would seem.

Around the Network

wow that is really interesting. Well Skate is very good. Heres to hoping that both franchises continue to innovate and sell well

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Well, it was awesome until Pro Skater 3, very good until Underground 2, American Wasteland was pretty good, Project 8...*shudder*

I despise Skate as well. So I basically hate the whole genre.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I played the heck out of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 for the PS2. I remember I bought it at Gamestop for $14 or something like that. I would wake up and play that game early in the morning before school//lol

I think the series just got stale after Underground. I mean having Bam Margera in the game was kewl, but weird at the same time. Tony Hawk's games was drifting more away from its classic touch into more of getting more people into the mix.

Kantor said:
Well, it was awesome until Pro Skater 3, very good until Underground 2, American Wasteland was pretty good, Project 8...*shudder*

I despise Skate as well. So I basically hate the whole genre.

Well I bought Project 8 for $5 at Gamestop for the Xbox 360//lol

It is okay//the graphics are top notch but its nothing like the original Tony Hawk's that were released in the past. I mean what happened to the SSX series also? I mean I got SSX 3 on the Xbox and enjoying this game to death!

Around the Network

^^^SSX 3 is AWESOME!!!! This game needs a new version right now.

d2lewis, it's made already and it's better than SSX 3, it's called SSX:Blur.

The controls were labeled complex though, but I find it easy with practice.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

The series never evolved.. it was the same game with a few minor tweaks again and again...

4 ≈ One

@dib8erman

I know SSX: Blur is on the Wii. I heard it was a good title, but I want a HD SSX. That's what needed!!!!

xlost7 said:
@dib8erman

I know SSX: Blur is on the Wii. I heard it was a good title, but I want a HD SSX. That's what needed!!!!

Agreed.   Damn, I forgot this franchise existed.  I still have Tricky and 3 on the DVD rack five feet away from my TV.  I should just fire up Tony Hawk, SSX, some WWF Smackdown, and some Dave Mirra BMX.  Retro (if 5-9 years ago is retro) night at my house!