By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did you know that...

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and 3 were the highest rated games on ps1 and ps2 respectively according to metacritic? What happened to the series?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and 3 were the highest rated games on ps1 and ps2 respectively according to metacritic? What happened to the series?

People eventually got sick of the "Same old".

Kinda hard to evolve a pro skating game.

Or at least was until the release of the Wii.

That could be another reason for future iterations to not score well.

At this point playing a skateboarding game without a balance board would be like playing a lightgun shooter without a light gun.

Pristine20 said:

Went to the wii.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Aiemond said:
Pristine20 said:

Went to the wii.

I see. I wonder how it performed on wii. I loved pro skater 2 but never got 3 because I just got bored of the skating genre.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

THPS2 is the second highest on the Dreamcast on metacritic. The best version of the best skateboard game ever!

Yeah, who knows if this genre can ever "get back," probably not. Skate didn't do it for me.

Around the Network

Part 4 was more of the same......and I bought it. Underground and Underground 2 tried to be original but lightning had already struck. There was just slight modification instead of revolution in the following years. I bought Project 8, played it for a day, and vowed "Never again".

I'm tempted to fire up my Dreamcast right now for some Tony Hawk 1 and 2 action. Those were awesome times.

Looks like the series tanked all round on all current gen consoles. It used to be consistent 3-5 mil seller. I guess the wii's balance board couldn't save it. I would have expected a series of it calibre to perform well on the wii, at least a mil but it only managed 0.2mil...sad.

They went stale.

Then Skate put the final nail in their coffin, took the skateboarding genre to a new level, and pretty much stole the market. Hopefully EA won't let Skate go stale, too early to say with that franchise.

Anywho, Activision will be bringing Tony Hawk's back with a focus on realism and whatnot, trying to take back the market Skate stole. It can only be a good thing this genre has two competitors locked horn to horn now, should prevent it from going stale like Tony Hawks.

Not a clue if Tony Hawks is coming back this year mind, I've got a list of 4 Activision projects yet to be officially announced due for a 2009 release...

jammy2211 said:
They went stale.

Then Skate put the final nail in their coffin, took the skateboarding genre to a new level, and pretty much stole the market. Hopefully EA won't let Skate go stale, too early to say with that franchise.

Anywho, Activision will be bringing Tony Hawk's back with a focus on realism and whatnot, trying to take back the market Skate stole. It can only be a good thing this genre has two competitors locked horn to horn now, should prevent it from going stale like Tony Hawks.

Not a clue if Tony Hawks is coming back this year mind, I've got a list of 4 Activision projects yet to be officially announced due for a 2009 release...

Stole the market?

Maybe it did, but that isn't saying much. I guess it stole what little was left of the skateboard game market.

Really, though. Skate can't even break a million (actually might be wrong here). Compare this to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, which sold 5.4 million(!!!) copies in the US alone, according to NPD. It's really sad to say after a game that good, but I think the genre is dead, and has little chance of coming back.

Got stale, the dev didn't want to continue making the same games.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive