By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What can Fire Emblem learn from Valkyria Chronicles?

Having only played the demo I dont have enough insight in this subject.

I do however love the Fire Emblem series and Path of Radiance (which I still have not beaten) is still great but not what I expected. Radiant Dawn I hear added a lot of new gameplay elements that helped the series.

Valkyria Chronicles has gotten praised and I can understand why (if only I had a PS3) its done quite a good amount of original things for the SRPG genre.

So is there anything  you would like to see from Valkyria Chronicles be brought to Fire Embem. Be it an evolved form of a gameplay element or a lightened element so it can fit with Fire Emblem gameplay.

I dont want FE to turn into VC I love its traditional gameplay but a few additions wouldnt hurt it either.

The only thing I will say is Im tired of FireEmblem is its  rendered graphics and text to tell its story. I want it to have full cutscenes and VO scenes for the next game. Some story telling decive like the book from VC might be a bit too much but Id like the same amount of cutscenes and at least some decent in-game cutscenes to present its story.

Around the Network

Remember that, because of GameCube's disc size, it was very hard to do an FMV-intense title. And they did remedy the problem of having many scenes done strictly by those stills. They did a few in real-time graphics in Radiant Dawn, but it wasn't as awesome as it could have been

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Remember that, because of GameCube's disc size, it was very hard to do an FMV-intense title. And they did remedy the problem of having many scenes done strictly by those stills. They did a few in real-time graphics in Radiant Dawn, but it wasn't as awesome as it could have been

Exactly. Wish the presentation was a little more ambitous. Some of the big scenes done in PoR are just horrible. Thoe in game "cutscenes" are just terrible.

@axumblade
FE does not allow you to do it as freely as VC but with certain character you can attack and run.

Though I dont think it needs to impement that 3rd Person free roam gameplay. It wouldnt be Fire Emblem with it.

Nothing. Fire Emblem is better than VC is the gameplay department. It also has better character development and better writing. Just because a game is traditional doesn't mean that original tradition wasn't vastly better than the new experimental genre anomalies.

VC is a great game though. Just not up to the epic level of PoR or RD.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

i feel the exact opposite... i'm not bored of the gameplay or how it is, thats what I yearn from every game to the next. new things might be refreshing, but I don't want it to take away from the classic Fire Emblem style. a few cutscenes might be nice, but I enjoy reading the conversations (well, the ones that are EXTREMELY long get annoying....)

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Nothing. Fire Emblem is better than VC is the gameplay department. It also has better character development and better writing. Just because a game is traditional doesn't mean that original tradition wasn't vastly better than the new experimental genre anomalies.

Agreed. I just wish they would present it differently.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Agreed.  You're my f'ing hero right now. :)

Pixel Art can be fun.

Phoenix_Wiight said:
i feel the exact opposite... i'm not bored of the gameplay or how it is, thats what I yearn from every game to the next. new things might be refreshing, but I don't want it to take away from the classic Fire Emblem style. a few cutscenes might be nice, but I enjoy reading the conversations (well, the ones that are EXTREMELY long get annoying....)

Im not either. Again I said Ive only played the demo and Im not sure if there is something that it can borrow from VC but people love it so I figure some SRPG fans who have played both can give some insight. I also said nothing too major.

I still want my chess layout.=) I really do think they need to present its story in a better way though. I strongly believe that.

meh. I think VC>>>Fire Emblem. Both games are in my house right now.

1. The box movement has to go.

2. All classes should level up together so some characters don't get more useless as time progresses

3. The disparity in the "usefullness" of characters reach an epic high in fire emblem.

These are the major improvements that'll make me actually play through fire emblem. I finished VC twice consecutively and I'm currently eagerly awaiting the dlc.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

ZenfoldorVGI said:

No, I disagree. Fire Emblem needs to evolve the gameplay in some way. Give yourself a bit more of control of the characters actions. Make it a bit more interactive.

It needs to diffrienate itself from all the other SRPGs.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.