By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Big software showing at E3, will help Wii to topple PS2 sales!

There's going to be a Wii MotionPlus blowout. I suspect it's the main reason for the huge lull since last E3.

Around the Network

Oh dear. This is how the great buildup and epic letdown happened last time.

Though, as others have said, Nintendo themselves acknowledged how the previous E3 was unsatisfactory, which is rare for them. They'll definitely have something in the pipe

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Oh dear. This is how the great buildup and epic letdown happened last time.

Though, as others have said, Nintendo themselves acknowledged how the previous E3 was unsatisfactory, which is rare for them. They'll definitely have something in the pipe

They do indeed.

Last E3 used to push their entry market products into the mainstream and it worked (much to the chagrin of upstream gamers) and this years E3 will be geared toward a higher level fo the upstream market.

It will certainly appeal much more to the average VGC Nintendo fan than last years event did.

By the way, Nintendo has requested that publishers to do the same.   More show floor emphasis on upstream games.  You'll also see more 3rd party titles at Nintendo's Media briefing than usual.

But you didn't hear any of this from me.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Blasphemy nothing can beat the ps2!

Ps:I sure he is talking about casual games.It always makes me laugh when people start getting excited and say that nintendo will announce all this hardcore games,lol.

ctk495 said:
Blasphemy nothing can beat the ps2!

Ps:I sure he is talking about casual games.It always makes me laugh when people start getting excited and say that nintendo will announce all this hardcore games,lol.

Am I correct in assuming you refer hardcore gaming simply to mean games rated "M" or equivelant?

I assure that they've been steady releasing hardcore games for the past 2 decades.  Just not with such an ESRB rating.   Though 3rd parties are already announcing and developing more 'M hardcore' games for Wii than were seen in the previous few years.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Please don't redo 2008... that was a train wreck.

I think last year E3 and what Nintendo has been doing till now is what they needed to do. They needed to get all these new gamers and casual gamers to their side first, with how bad GC did, they know loyalty can only go so far (PS3 is not getting much loyalty from PS2 users either).

So even if they can get those hardcore Nintendo fans that is not enough. Now since Wii is a proven success, that is the key word: Proven, they can be aggressive with their software development. Knowing that they have the resources to put into big development games is key; the fad talk has just finished. How could Nintendo know Wii was going to still be a success- it was still too risky to be aggressive.

meh, by then I'll be balls deep in Conduit.

Soriku said:

Keep in mind this is Iwata saying this now and not Reggie, and also they said they had a lackluster E3 in 2008.

I'm sure they have stuff like Zelda, Mario, Retro's new game (definitely), maybe Intelligent System's new game and some other stuff. Maybe some new third party stuff, like a new GTA possibly. Sure they'll have some casual stuff too, but I'm sure they'll have some good stuff too.

I seriously doubt they will have a new Mario game. The last system to have multiple main mario games was the NES.. since then its been one every generation.

Wii Sports was the starter for the mass audience. Mario Kart Wii was the bridge. So could E3 show the next step? The mass market traditional game?

I know people are whining because Wii and DS didn't get the mass market with what they consider "real games", but when things have been around for years without being accepted by the mass market, you have to get the mass market with things they can ease into.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs