By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii May See a Price Cut In April.

One day after Nintendo cut it’s estimated net profits by 12% for the year 2009, talk is beginning to circulate amongst industry insiders and analysts that the Wii may see a price cut around April of this year. Predicted price cuts for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were factors in Nintendo’s estimated 12% net profits loss. Leading some analysts to speculate that the Wii could possibly see a small price cut of its own in April which just happens to coincide with the predicted Xbox 360 and PS3 price cuts. A price cut could be a smart move, seeing as how Nintendo has just forecast it’s first annual profit drop in five year. All of which has become a sobering reminder of futility, to a company that not so long ago almost seemed recession proof. While strongly ahead of Microsoft and Sony in sales and market share percentage, Nintendo isn’t feeling so cozy in the face of the current world wide recession. So a price drop could be imminent come this spring.

http://www.gamingfront.net/story-161-.html

I hope not beacuse it would literally kill all sales for ps3 and 360.

Around the Network

Wii price cut? Not gonna happen...

well it needs one in Japan

everywhere else....no

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

"A price cut could be a smart move, seeing as how Nintendo has just forecast it’s first annual profit drop in five year. "

WTF?

"Our profits are too low, let's make less money!"

When are people going to understand that Nintendo's profit dropped mostly because of the strong yen?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

A price cut in Japan is more likely than in the rest of the world. But if Nintendo can accomodate an increase in demand due to a price cut in the US and others, then I believe it will be good business.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

Around the Network

I would want that to happen, because 250$ for the wii, is way too much.

There's not a snowball's chance in Hell that the Wii will be getting a price cut in the US.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Interesting.

No source on the story. (When you click on story source on the site it brings you back to the site).

Me thinks someone is starting a rumor or listening to one based on a non-understanding of currency markets.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I don't expect there will be one even in Japan. They need another real system seller for Japan, Wii Music didn't ignite like they had hoped.

There are established franchises that they could support; Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, a Final Fantasy main series game, but I don't think this will do it beyond pulling some more traditional Japanese gamers into the fold.

They need something really new, a Brain Training or Nintendogs equivalent(and I don't mean pulling those franchises to Wii, they're not suited to it).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Nintendo still has new colors and bundles before they'll even consider a price cut. Why on earth would they cut price when they are releasing Motion Plus?