By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - halo Wars sales will be huge for it's genre - bigger than killzone 2.

mark my words: Halo Wars will make thr rts genre popular on consoles and destroy the RIDICULOUS assumption that you need a mouse and keyboard.

Not to mention it will destroy Killzone 2 at retail.

Around the Network

I think the market for RTS on consoles is much less than the market for FPS on consoles...therefore I'd say that the potential for much higher sales lie with Killzone 2.

I'm +1 for Halo Wars, but I'll be honest, if I had a PS3, I'd be +1 for KZ2 too.

Given the Halo name I'd guess this was going to be closer than it would have been otherwise, but I'd still give the edge to KZ2 - the RTS market just seems too niche to compete (IMO).

^ the rts genre may be niche, but tahts all gonna change with Halo thrown into the mix. It wont be niche anymore.
Everything Halo touches becomes divine and holy.

TRios_Zen said:
I think the market for RTS on consoles is much less than the market for FPS on consoles...therefore I'd say that the potential for much higher sales lie with Killzone 2.

I'm +1 for Halo Wars, but I'll be honest, if I had a PS3, I'd be +1 for KZ2 too.

Given the Halo name I'd guess this was going to be closer than it would have been otherwise, but I'd still give the edge to KZ2 - the RTS market just seems too niche to compete (IMO).

thats also wat they said about fpss before goldeneye and i think that halo wars is going to be huge none the less

786_ali said:
nobody around the interwebs seems to be excited about halo wars

That preview by Ars Technica says otherwise.

@ OP:

That's a hard one. RTS games aren't meant for consoles but this one seems designed around the controller rather than being a port from a PC version like other "console RTSs". So that's a plus for Halo RTS and it seems the attention to the controls is paying off from all the previews out there. This might also open up the target audience of Halo Wars as the game seems more focused on combat and action - something console gamers tend to gravitate towards. That's another plus. Finally, it's got "Halo" in the name. I myself am a huge Halo fan but I haven't become all too excited about this game besides the story and cutscenes which I plan on watching whether the game does well or bombs. I'll need a demo to see if the game is actually any good.

Killzone 2 on the other hand is "the PS3's saving grace" and arguably the most awaited game for that console this year (+1) (excluding GOW 3 which I think will come out 2010). It's been getting rave reviews everywhere (+1) and is the graphical gem of the console (+1). It's an FPS over that and touted by many to be amongst the best - console gamers love their multiplayer FPS's so this will definitely be a strong selling point.

I think both will sell well for their respective genres. Halo Wars will sell extremely well for a console RTS and Killzone 2 will sell well as an exclusive console FPS. Although both are showing a lot of strength (as explained above), my money is on Killzone 2 for selling more overall.

Around the Network

honestly, id be very suprised if halo wars sold 4-5 mil copies, but i think it will outsell KZ2.

i see KZ2 selling around 3-4mil tops, judging by R2's sales.

TacoBoy49 said:
Even if Killzone2 beats Halo Wars, its still not a real victory for Killzone. A massive bidget fps vs moderate budget cosole rts. If Killzone doesn't have a decissive victory like Gears of War vs RESISTENCE, THEN KILLZONE WILL BE SEEN AS THE LOSER

Wow all that hate....

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

ocnkng said:
TacoBoy49 said:
Even if Killzone2 beats Halo Wars, its still not a real victory for Killzone. A massive bidget fps vs moderate budget cosole rts. If Killzone doesn't have a decissive victory like Gears of War vs RESISTENCE, THEN KILLZONE WILL BE SEEN AS THE LOSER

Wow all that hate....

no... it won't be seen as the loser. maybe as the loser for money, but not popularity, and thats what us, the gamers care about. sales.

786_ali said:
nobody around the interwebs seems to be excited about halo wars

its worth noting that the web is dominated by a VOCAL MINORITY................and if u ask me, a minority dominated by Sony fanboys.

t

Hammer-of-Dawn said:
mark my words: Halo Wars will make thr rts genre popular on consoles and destroy the RIDICULOUS assumption that you need a mouse and keyboard.

Not to mention it will destroy Killzone 2 at retail.

What do you mean by "popular" do you mean that it will be the best selling RTS, and thus mainstreaming he genre? If so then do you really think the game will sell over 10 million copies and outsell Starcraft? lolz

OT: It's a fairly sound pediction to say that Halo Wars will sell more then Killzone just because of the Halo name. Haven't you seen the Mario spin-offs and their sales?