By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - halo Wars sales will be huge for it's genre - bigger than killzone 2.

RTS just arent for consoles. Unless this raises the bar substantially then its going to be disapointing unfortunately. Still I expect both games to sell well over time.

Ynwa.

Around the Network
TyePhoid_PAL said:
RTS just arent for consoles.

Please could you provide some evidence to back your statement up? thanks.

Let's not forget Tiberuim Wars sold 500k on the 360.
It's not unthinkable that Halo Wars could easily a million without too much difficulty.

It's just that simple.

theStats87 said:
If Halo Wars sells 5+ Million, to me it means that if you make a quality game and slap Halo on it, it will sell well. It will do little for the RTS genre on consoles as a whole.

Well that is one way to look at it. However, if 5 million plus buy a RTS game and it is a critical success then gamers are going to look for more strategy games and developers will be only too happy to make them. The game cannot be that successful without legitimising the genre on consoles.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
TyePhoid_PAL said:
RTS just arent for consoles. Unless this raises the bar substantially then its going to be disapointing unfortunately. Still I expect both games to sell well over time.

They said this about first person shooters for a long, long time.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
TyePhoid_PAL said:

well I think it's obvious the vast difference between consle FPS gameplay and PC FPS gameplay.

Well, I personally think HW will outsell KZ2. First of all, hype does not guarantee sales. KZ1 was hyped as "THE HALO KILLER!", and it ends up selling 0.75 million to a user base of about 80 million worldwide at the time. Fast forward 5 years and we're seeing plenty of hype again. Not Halo killer stuff but still very hyped nevertheless. Now people are saying it will outsell a game with the name Halo on it, on a user base of about 20 million. So either Halo Wars won't sell 1 million copies or Killzone 2 will sell about 5 million units.

Sure this game has great reviews, but again great reviews don't guarantee success either. Psychonauts is a great example of this. The polar opposite would be 50 Cent: Bulletproof, showing that even crappy games with just about no hype will sell over a million copies based on brand name (50 was probably the most popular rapper at the time). Halo Wars will most likely get great reviews, and thanks to it being a Halo game it will get great sales to boot.

shio said:
Khuutra said:
TyePhoid_PAL said:

well I think it's obvious the vast difference between consle FPS gameplay and PC FPS gameplay.

Well duh.

There's a difference between a genre playing different on two media and a genre not being compatible with a medium, though. Console first person shooters are stomping the living Hell out of PC FPSes in terms of sales for a reason.

shio said:
Khuutra said:
TyePhoid_PAL said:

Shio you are absolutely right.  Console RTS games have been shoe horned with PC RTS gameplay.  It took a couple of console centric FPS games to make developers realize that just porting from PC was not going to work.  Hopefully, Ensemble has taken this into account and made the gameplay more console specific.  Which in Halo Wars case looks to be a simplification of the micro-management necessary.  Such as base building, which all you do is pick different buildings for the different slots on the base.  They have also added the ease of use of special abilities to the y button, given the game a more actiony feel.

Khuutra said:
shio said:
Khuutra said:
TyePhoid_PAL said:

Well duh.

There's a difference between a genre playing different on two media and a genre not being compatible with a medium, though. Console first person shooters are stomping the living Hell out of PC FPSes in terms of sales for a reason.

Console Vs PC FPS is all about accuracy and movement issue, PC's are X% more efficient at aiming etc . This argument is more to do with preciseness and efficieny , I've heard people say the ultimate "FPS experience is on the PC"but not "FPS's have no place on a console they should stricltly be on PC's" .

Console Vs PC RTS is all about functionality . RTS's just aren't as functional on consoles due to the limitations of the gamepad , i've read reports about how the gameplay elements of Halo Wars have been simplified ... probably to accomodate the XBOX 360's gamepad , but RTS's are supposed to be complex by nature hence the "Real Time >Strategy<" name given to the genre. If porting the genre to another platform limits the genre then it has no place on the platform .

being less efficient is a problem but still acceptable , if a game begins to lack functionality in a genre where functionality is key then you have to question whether the game belongs on the platform.