By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Resident Evil 5 Hidden Message for Xbox.com - Something happening 1-30-09

Ok, guys, put down the torches and pitchforks, and do the following:

1. Head to www.xbox.com/re5
2. Hit Shift+5
3. Click the banner that changes from Resident Evil to Resident Live
3. The word 'badlands' now appears in the upper banner.  Click it before it disappears.

Shift+5 is a code that actually unlocks the page, as opposed to just being a candle you can move around. There are some viral videos, new screenshots, and a Q&A.

No mention of any DLC at all.

Edit: Ok, that procedure might be incorrect--I'm having trouble duplicating how I unlocked the page.  But it's definitely there.

Edit 2: Fixed it--click 'badlands'.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Its exclusive content!

http://www.residentevil.com/5/kijuju

Visit that link, watch the exclusive video and help get 100,000 people to do it etc

EDIT: You have to sign up and get involved or same crap!

Come on, guys--35,000 more views and we unlock extra content.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

just went

mmmm interesting.... dint get the video....

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
You are all chasing viral content that is weeks old.

The page view thing for RE5 was started before christmas.

Yep, but the counting of unique hits for content started today.

It looks like it is just wallpapers and screenshots and stuff.

mrstickball said:

ymeaga - One should note the anti-DLC comments are only coming from PS3 owners...

Maybe the way I look at it is a little different:

What if the DLC would have never made it to market had MS not stepped in and secured it for their console? As we've seen as of late, multi-plat is the only way to go, as securing an entire game would cost just too much.

Yet despite that, DLC remains a very affordable option for developers. DLC costs about 1/10th of the standalone game - even for a comparable set of time that can be afforded to the gamer with the DLC. So why would it *not* be in Microsoft's interest to pay the developers to make more of a good game?

Microsoft isn't looking 'hey, how can we screw Sony fans over', which is the way some of the anti-DLC Sonyfan comments are, but MS is more thinking along the lines of 'how can we secure a better experience for our fans'.

May I remind you that Sony could (and does) do the same thing for the year-old ports. I know some are arguing 'b-b-ut they're needed to stay competitive!' and I say 'no, no they're not'. They aren't needed. A year-old port could just be churned out as a budget port (say, $30-40) like many games last gen were. Resident Evil 4 was that way for the PS2.

In the end, Sony could do what MS is doing, and funding unique content for a given big game. MS, I doubt, is preventing content that's already being made to themselves - rather incentivizing the developer to make it in the first place, and for the 360.

And again, why not? If paying for DLC costs 1/10th of securing an exclusive, changes are, you'll get more for your money in the end.

I wonder if you approve of this DLC stance (exclusive or otherwise)? Some insight from former CD members has indicated that a big chunk of the DLC content you're currently getting for Tomb Raider was always intend for the game itself and was forcibly ripped from it to give the DLC more meat.

DLC like 'the lost and damn' pack for GTA I approve, as it is obviously new content that was developed after the game's completion and deserve merit, but each time I hear about a new DLC being released 1-2 month after the release of the game I cannot help but get this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomache.

Was this content that was created after the project went gold? Or was this a part of my game which I have already paid for that was ripped out by the mercenary publisher to milk more cash from me?

KylieDog said:
Day 1 DLC is the worst. Seriously, thats tuff should just be ont he disc.

Speaking of, DLC that is just a tiny file that unlocks what is already on the disc but you couldn't access, that is complete crap also.

This is why I HATE Namco with a passion, their game might be good but policy like that just stinks. Even their 'free' dlc for Naruto NUN were nothing more than unlock codes that they keep dribbling out months after the game's release, disgusting.

mibuokami said:

I wonder if you approve of this DLC stance (exclusive or otherwise)? Some insight from former CD members has indicated that a big chunk of the DLC content you're currently getting for Tomb Raider was always intend for the game itself and was forcibly ripped from it to give the DLC more meat.

DLC like 'the lost and damn' pack for GTA I approve, as it is obviously new content that was developed after the game's completion and deserve merit, but each time I hear about a new DLC being released 1-2 month after the release of the game I cannot help but get this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomache.

Was this content that was created after the project went gold? Or was this a part of my game which I have already paid for that was ripped out by the mercenary publisher to milk more cash from me?

I think that exclusive content is fine if it wasn't meant to be in the original boxed set. As you mentioned, TR:U's case is a very bad example of how stupid DLC can be - exclusive or not.

On the other hand, if DLC was meant as a true expansion after the game launched, and was never meant to be on-disc, then I think it's fine.

DLC will always be right if it's an expansion of the original vision of the game, but was unable to be realized due to time, money, or disc constraints.

DLC will always be wrong if it was taken from the original game and put as DLC to earn the company some extra money.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
mibuokami said:

I think that exclusive content is fine if it wasn't meant to be in the original boxed set. As you mentioned, TR:U's case is a very bad example of how stupid DLC can be - exclusive or not.

On the other hand, if DLC was meant as a true expansion after the game launched, and was never meant to be on-disc, then I think it's fine.

DLC will always be right if it's an expansion of the original vision of the game, but was unable to be realized due to time, money, or disc constraints.

DLC will always be wrong if it was taken from the original game and put as DLC to earn the company some extra money.

This is what I call sweet irony. This generation really has brought some of the best and worst new features of console gaming. How -oh how- can I trust any publisher to act honourable? At the same time what can I possibly do other than to vote with my wallet? It really is baffling, I am at once excited about the possibility and resigned at the evil it has unleashed.

I applaud Microsoft's effort in this regard because I recognise it as both a sensible marketing strategy and beneficial to its fanbase. At the same time I cannot help but hate this inevitable evil that Microsoft has hasten onto my doorstep.